The Lights are on, but nobody is home

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:22 pm

"Paul S" wrote:Thats what must be taking all of Joes time. He can't possibly have the time to update the website as he is jockeying all these calls that are "flooding" in from people in Rochester just clamouring to beat the band hoping to get the coveted ABA market reservation.

Funnily enough I went to Rochester last week on business, absolutely, positively NOBODY was talking about the ABA.

Did you ask?

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:24 pm

Apparently, the Las Vegas Lights have now become the North Las Vegas Aces (were the Orlando Aces).

http://lasvegasaces.bravehost.com/

Saw this on their site "Try-outs are coming... expect a Full House!" they will be lucky to get a pair.

And they have announced a try out camp...

http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2008060506001

NORTH LAS VEGAS ACES ANNOUNCE TRYOUT CAMP

05-Jun-2008
North Las Vegas, NV -- Attention sports fans! The North Las Vegas Aces are gearing up for a season to remember. The team has signed "shoot 'em out" Lou Kelly to its roster. Kelly is sure to bring a leading force with his basketball accolades and achievements. He was the leading scorer for the UNLV Rebels and he was the leading scorer in the ABA during the 2004-2005 season.

"I'm looking forward to reuniting with my former coach Todd Tripplett who guided us in 2004 to an undefeated home season," said Kelly. "His expertise and contacts helped me gain the opportunity to play for the NBA New York Knicks summer league team. I'm looking forward to getting another shot at going all the way to the top."

The North Las Vegas Aces will hold basketball and dance tryouts July 10th-12th. The camp will include special invited NBA guest speakers: Former NBA Tony Farmer of the Golden State Warriors; Shawn Marion and Maurice Banks of the Miami Heat; Jamario Moon of the Toronto Raptors and Boxing Champ and Dancing with the Stars Floyd "Pretty Boy" Mayweather. The tryout will be held at Gibson Middle School from 9 am - 12 noon. Registration is $100 (cashiers check or cash). On-site registration will begin on July 10th at 830am. Please bring a player profile along with a current photograph. You can pre-register to secure your position in the camp by sending your profile, photo, check to ISL, 1324 Saddleridge Drive, Orlando, FL 32835.

For more information and complete details visit http://www.lasvegasaces.bravehost.com, call (404) 291-6971, or email gm4aces@yahoo.com.
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:21 pm

I don't think it's accurate to say the Lights have become the Aces. It is probably more accurate to say that the Aces have replaced the Lights, which is kind of the point of this whole thread, in that the Lights were announced, never played, were replaced by the Aces, but yet have this initiative.

Oh, and the Lights do have this website:

http://www.lasvegaslightsbasketball.com/

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:31 pm

Ummmm....I'll take credit for the "Full House" line. I came up with that during our ticket sales campaign while with the Orlando Aces.

I also noticed several of my photos have found their way to the new website. My unpaid work sure must have been pretty valuable. I'm surprised the logo I created isn't up there somewhere with a line through Orlando with Las Vegas written above it!

I'm not bitter...
Last edited by zeke41 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Clarrified "Orlando" Aces

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:35 pm

Zeke, man, I am still impressed with what you did to get Orlando to that playoff game. I really hope you can find some investors and get in a real league.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:47 pm

I appreciate that, Lighteningman...As far as putting another team together, I'm good right now. I just finished a season with the East KY Miners in the CBA, I'm about to go to Lebanon to play June 30, the option is there to return to the Miners next season, and I've actually had some interest expressed from other teams.

I'd LOVE to put a team in Kissimmee...I don't have that kind of money right now, but I'm certain it would fly. Great venue, several key connections still in place, etc. Who knows - maybe in the near future.

As of right now though, I've switched my focus to playing. I only have a few years left, and opportunities keep coming. Plus, on top of all that, I added a segment to my website - http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com - for people to request me as a guest speaker, and I've had several opportunities arise. I think I'm heading in the right direction...I hope to be a part of minor league basketball for years to come. I believe I represent exactly why minor league basketball exists...I utilized every opportunity and connection, and I'm making somewhat of a career out of it, on all different types of levels!

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:48 pm

By the way...I added the highlights of my first game in the CBA and the tv interview I did afterward on that site as well if you wanna check it out!!!

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:44 am

"The Sweeper" wrote:Apparently, the Las Vegas Lights have now become the North Las Vegas Aces (were the Orlando Aces).

http://lasvegasaces.bravehost.com/

Saw this on their site "Try-outs are coming... expect a Full House!" they will be lucky to get a pair.

And they have announced a try out camp...

http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2008060506001

NORTH LAS VEGAS ACES ANNOUNCE TRYOUT CAMP

05-Jun-2008
North Las Vegas, NV -- Attention sports fans! The North Las Vegas Aces are gearing up for a season to remember.

A season to remember? Most people don't remember seasons where most of the games are canceled and most of the teams fold.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:04 am

Did it ever occur to you that Las Vegas might have TWO ABA teams this year?
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:22 am

"Minor League Man" wrote:Did it ever occur to you that Las Vegas might have TWO ABA teams this year?

Anything is possible - it IS the ABA - but...

ABAlive has the LV Lights logo listed next to the headline "NORTH LAS VEGAS ACES ANNOUNCE TRYOUT CAMP" on the front page.

So, I'm not even sure the league knows how many teams are in Vegas.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Return to “ABA”