Another team in CA - too bad the perfect name* is already taken...

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Another team in CA - too bad the perfect name* is already taken...

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:00 pm

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3652563
ABA Adds Expansion Team in Modesto, California
06/03/08 - American Basketball Association (ABA)

Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) today announced that it will add an ABA team in Modesto, California which will begin play in December. According to Joe Newman, ABA CEO, "We are very pleased to welcome Saber Knott to the ABA. Not only is he a very astute businessman with a great basketball background, but Capt. Knott also served our country in Iraq and Afghanistan with four years in the U.S. Marine Corps and ten years in the U.S. Army. A very special person indeed."
A graduate of Indiana University in business administration and accounting, he has an MBA in Administration and is the owner of five laundromats and three Sport End Zone stores in Modesto. "I have seven years of strong marketing and sales," said Knott. "I believe in always giving the public its weight in gold and satisfaction. I want to make Modesto a power of capitol and dominating the full proof on the court. I will use my talents and background to make us a champion caliber team on the court and in the community. That's my pledge and commitment. We will be one of the best operations in the ABA." For more information, call 209 404 7253 or email saber@vzw.blackberry.net or visit http://www.abalive.com.
**The Modesto Nuts would have been perfect; but baseball got the name first
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:02 pm

Hmm, another release stating the season begins in December. I think thats the third or fourth time I've seen that. I wonder if they'll still play a 36 game schedule or 30 games (that was stated in a previous release)

Is this the work of Q? Is he getting some say, and making changes? Lets see how long it can last... I hope it does last because he seems like a good guy that could help out, IF he is given a good amount of power, but we all know Joe pretty well...

formerlyknownasfells
Site Admin

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:55 pm

Modesto???????????? The arm pit of California????
"Of all of the things I have lost, I think I miss my mind the most."

TheStandard
Site Admin

Post by TheStandard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:07 pm

ok a blackberry email. no website, no venue. usual bull**** in the ABA
Mean Spirited Blogger # 8
ABAish: Created By TheStandard
ABAish:Not Playing 99% of your games but you satisfy your self less than 50% Lack Of Promotion Of Your Team, Not Paying your players, Playing in a High School with non regulation lines or Half Court, Playing with Wal-Mart Uniforms, Playing with Mismatched Socks, Posting lies about your league, Posting things that are not basketball or really league related, Calling others Unethical and Immoral, Being Joe Newman.500 Charcters suck.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:50 am

If Knott is a graduate of Indiana University in business administration and accounting and he has an MBA......................and he has picked up leadership and street smarts in the Army.

Then, either......................

The ABA is on the right track and attracting the right kinds of owners.

or

The quality of MBA's and Captains don't include the ability to not get hoodwinked.

This guy Knott should have said, "Joe lets delay the announcement two weeks until I can get a graphic designer to put together a logo and allow me time to get a website set up" at the very least.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

utahstarsticketholder
Site Admin

Molestdo???

Post by utahstarsticketholder » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:12 pm

You have to be kidding! An "ABA" rec league team in Modesto? No way this deal becomes the center of anything, lived there it is bad!!! jack
Dear Jack, We believe Joe Newman has a vision. As opposed to blogging his mission negatively why don't you offer suggestions of support and help. We did, Regards Roland Rodgers CEO BSN LLC

tops804
Site Admin

...and the franchise name is.

Post by tops804 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:17 am

According to Joe Newman, ABA CEO, "We are very pleased to welcome Saber Knott to the ABA.
//www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3656999
Modesto Sabers Announce Tryout Camp, New Head Coach
06/10/08 - American Basketball Association (ABA) Modesto Sabers
One thing I like about the ABA...The owners never seem to be too pretentious. :rolleyes:

Based on this naming concept, should he have gone with "Modesto Knotts"...
As in, Knott going to finish an ABA season???
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:32 am

Nothing new in Basketball:

The Charlotte Bobcats are owned by Robert L. "Bob" Johnson. And thats an NBA team. It's dumb.

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:57 pm

Maybe Barney Fife could be the GM....

That would put them in the upper half of the league!

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:23 pm

From the press release wrote:From 2000-2007, Coach Walker played for the Newcastle Eagles (British Basketball League),5-time All Star, won 3 consecutive championships in 05, 06, 07 and four other national cup and trophy championships during this period. From 2003-2007, he was a player assistant coach. In 2007-2008 he coached the Big Storage Cheshire Jets, and also played, leading the team to the Cup & Trophy semi-finals.
He's been far enough away, long enough to not know about the ABA?

Return to “ABA”