Detroit Panthers Join PBL

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
tbayz1
Site Admin

Detroit Panthers Join PBL

Post by tbayz1 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:52 pm

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3643972

a1 called it

Good to see them make the jump, they will be a good fit for the Midwestern teams. And they'll be sure to have a very competative team on the floor!

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Wed May 21, 2008 2:26 am

My only concern is that this is another minor team in a major market. But welcome aboard.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

The folly of placing a minor hoops team in a major market is a given

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed May 21, 2008 3:20 am

[quote=""LightningMan""]My only concern is that this is another minor team in a major market. But welcome aboard.[/quote]

...and that's your only concern?!? History has proven time and time again (just last season, as a matter of fact) that allowing so many teams into a league in so short a time is a recipe for failure.
"Detroit is a well run organization and we are pleased to welcome them to the Premier Basketball League." said PBL President and Chief Executive Officer Tom Doyle. "The addition of the Detroit Panthers maintains our mission of a controlled expansion process that is synchronized with our travel cost objectives."
See, this is the kind of stuff I've been talking about. Whatever happened to the three-year rule? Detroit has ALREADY been deemed a well run organization?!? There isn't enough of a track record available to reach such a conclusion. I'm wrong?!? I have an agenda?!? My only defense is three words: Strong--Island--Sound

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Wed May 21, 2008 12:01 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Detroit has ALREADY been deemed a well run organization?!? There isn't enough of a track record available to reach such a conclusion. I'm wrong?!? I have an agenda?!?[/quote]
You're wrong. You have an agenda. Here is some quick, Wikipedia research on Detroit:
One ABA Championship, two division titles, been in existence since the start of Joe's ABA and played every year except the last.

They have a track record.

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Wed May 21, 2008 12:45 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]You're wrong. You have an agenda. Here is some quick, Wikipedia research on Detroit:
One ABA Championship, two division titles, been in existence since the start of Joe's ABA and played every year except the last.

They have a track record.[/quote]

k1, have you sent in your league application yet or are you still waiting for tom doyle to call you?

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Wed May 21, 2008 2:34 pm

2000-01 Detroit Dogs 21-20
2001-02 Detroit Dogs 10-17
2004-05 Motown Jammers 2-3
2004-05 Detroit Wheels 2-5
2005-06 Detroit Wheels 6-17
2006-07 Detroit Panthers 18-12
2007-08 Detroit Panthers 2-0

The Panthers are probably the best the city has seen from the league.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

The passage of time will tell all

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed May 21, 2008 2:39 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]You're wrong. You have an agenda. Here is some quick, Wikipedia research on Detroit:

They have a track record.[/quote]

The Detroit franchise(s) since the start of Joe's ABA?!? :shock:

On that note I will rest my case. Please check their actual track record. It is none too stellar.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed May 21, 2008 3:10 pm

Detroit had the only solid ownership group in the ABA's Midwest last year. That's according to those inside the ABA. One team owner told me the Panthers were the only other team in the entire division he counted on to make its road trips and host home games. The ABA tried to appease Detroit by placing teams all around them last season, but when some proved to be vapor, Detroit pulled out and the division crumbled. In addition, the Panthers have been able to get some media attention here and there in spite of the league.

rider
Site Admin

Leases! Announcements!

Post by rider » Wed May 21, 2008 4:09 pm

These are all wonderful announcements but very shallow without confirmed venue leases! the league should no better than to annouce anything without a lease. The PBL has a bright future.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed May 21, 2008 11:07 pm

[quote=""preeths""]Detroit had the only solid ownership group in the ABA's Midwest last year. That's according to those inside the ABA. One team owner told me the Panthers were the only other team in the entire division he counted on to make its road trips and host home games. The ABA tried to appease Detroit by placing teams all around them last season, but when some proved to be vapor, Detroit pulled out and the division crumbled. In addition, the Panthers have been able to get some media attention here and there in spite of the league.[/quote]

Yeah, but whatever happened to the three-year rule? Has this team performed as a well-run organization for three consecutive seasons (even by ABA standards)? I see a new pattern forming. It seems that unwritten rule was thrown out the window when Gary Hunter left the CBA for the D-League along with those four teams. The new pattern is that teams are considered well-run organizations without actually demonstrating they can survive the long haul. The D-League accepted Sioux Falls, Dakota, and Idaho because those teams proved they could survive long-term. That's one reason why I say there is the D-League and then there is everyone else. Everyone, including the PBL, is not particular enough about who is allowed into their leagues. Will the Detroit organization survive more than a season or two in the PBL? Maybe, but the Panthers haven't been around long enough to gauge those chances for success.

Whenever I hear about well-run organizations that actually don't have much of a track record, I'm reminded of the Strong Island Sound. Supposedly a very well run organization. Received some media attention. Folded during their third season. History is always at play. Keep doing things the same way and you will keep having the same results.

Return to “PBL”