Merger talks

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
Frank Mart
Site Admin

Post by Frank Mart » Thu May 08, 2008 11:51 am

[quote=""DazedAndAmused""]I'm actually changing my opinion on this. I for a while believed a merger was a good thing. Some relatively recent (and public) information that is out there now suggests to me that the PBL should not entertain a merger or acquisition (per runninref) or whatever it is.

There are a couple of the eastern CBA teams that would benefit from being in the PBL and perhaps the PBL would benefit from having them. If those teams are interested in making a switch, they should be evaluated on their own merits and consistency of vision. The same thing holds true for the strongest ABA teams.

The two leagues as entities seem to be too far apart philosophically. Personally, I think this is a shame. I'd really like to see a combined league that is run under a PBL model, but called the "CBA" with 20 teams, but I don't think it can happen unless there is an epiphany of some sort.[/quote]

CBA/PBL merger is increasingly far and for ende the dream of one 20-team super-minor league. I coincide with you DazedAndAmused, PBL should do to add CBA's franchises Pittsburgh Xplosion and Albany Patroons (enclosed East Kentucky Miners, realese Dallas, Jacksonville) and ABA's NE division (Vermont Frost Heaves, Manchester Millrats, Quebec City Kebekwa, Halifax Reinmen, Montreal Royals).

If PBL acquires ABA NE franchises and CBA New York and Pennsylvania franquises PBL could become a very strong regional league with very important cities among if especially in the NE and Canada (low cost in travel).

NEW PREMIER BASKETBALL LEAGUE (16 or 19 teams, 2 or 3 divisions 08/09 season)

North-east Division: (9 or 11)

Reading, Rochester, Buffalo, Vermont (ABA), Manchester (ABA), Quebec (ABA), Halifax (ABA), Montreal (ABA or announced expasion team), Toronto
Pittsburgh, Albany (CBA)??

Mid-east Division: (7 or 8)

Quad City, Rockford, Chicago, Wilmington, Maryland, Arkansas, All-Star team to Thailand (PBL).
East Kentucky (CBA)??

Folded: Dallas and Jacksonville.

Thanks

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Thu May 08, 2008 1:29 pm

[quote=""Frank Mart""]CBA/PBL merger is increasingly far and for ende the dream of one 20-team super-minor league. I coincide with you DazedAndAmused, PBL should do to add CBA's franchises Pittsburgh Xplosion and Albany Patroons (enclosed East Kentucky Miners, realese Dallas, Jacksonville) and ABA's NE division (Vermont Frost Heaves, Manchester Millrats, Quebec City Kebekwa, Halifax Reinmen, Montreal Royals).

If PBL acquires ABA NE franchises and CBA New York and Pennsylvania franquises PBL could become a very strong regional league with very important cities among if especially in the NE and Canada (low cost in travel).

Reading, Rochester, Buffalo, Vermont (ABA), Manchester (ABA), Quebec (ABA), Halifax (ABA), Montreal (ABA or announced expasion team), Toronto

Quad City, Rockford, Chicago, Wilmington, Maryland, Arkansas, All-Star team to Thailand (PBL).
East Kentucky (CBA)??

Thanks[/quote]

I like it.

OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:59 pm

[quote=""Frank Mart""]CBA/PBL merger is increasingly far and for ende the dream of one 20-team super-minor league. I coincide with you DazedAndAmused, PBL should do to add CBA's franchises Pittsburgh Xplosion and Albany Patroons (enclosed East Kentucky Miners, realese Dallas, Jacksonville) and ABA's NE division (Vermont Frost Heaves, Manchester Millrats, Quebec City Kebekwa, Halifax Reinmen, Montreal Royals).

East Kentucky (CBA)??

Thanks[/quote]

Having heard or seen little about a merger for the PBL and CBA, I can see the above teams making a good league, but please, lets not forget the Lawton/Ft. Sill Cavalry - Current CBA Champs. I know one can't please everyone when there is a merger that takes place, but at least we have solid ownership and a half decent place to play. Besides, Lawton is only about 6 hours away from Little Rock Arkansas.

I can see it like this?

Pittsburgh (CBA), Albany (CBA)??

Quad City, Rockford, Chicago, Wilmington, Maryland, Arkansas,
East Kentucky (CBA)??
Lawton/Ft. Sill (CBA)

Just my thoughts.

psbf
Site Admin

Aside from

Post by psbf » Thu May 08, 2008 9:48 pm

confusing Lawton-Ft. Sill and Oklahoma in name, I don't see how anyone can leave the Cavaliers out of the alignment!
Also, with so many teams in the Northeast, I would suggest breaking down the divisions, like they do in soccer's PDL amateur Division. Maybe create a Canadien Division, although there are only three teams(Montreal, Quebec and Halifax-maybe Toronto too(I think I saw them mentioned).
Aside from them, Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Pgh, East Ky would be in the Northeast.
Central; Chicago, Lawton Ft. Sill, Arkansas and RGV(another team that I don't recall being mentioned). I guess I would add Augusta to this Div..
Yakima is still in question, though. I'm sorry if there is a team or teams that I may be forgetting.

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Thu May 08, 2008 11:44 pm

[quote=""OKCAVS67""]Having heard or seen little about a merger for the PBL and CBA, I can see the above teams making a good league, but please, lets not forget the Lawton/Ft. Sill Cavalry - Current CBA Champs. I know one can't please everyone when there is a merger that takes place, but at least we have solid ownership and a half decent place to play. Besides, Lawton is only about 6 hours away from Little Rock Arkansas.

I can see it like this?

Pittsburgh (CBA), Albany (CBA)??

Quad City, Rockford, Chicago, Wilmington, Maryland, Arkansas,
East Kentucky (CBA)??
Lawton/Ft. Sill (CBA)

Just my thoughts.[/quote]

This looks good too. You're right....Lawton should not be left off this list.

Return to “PBL”