Merger talks

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:17 pm

Again, only anecdotal, but here’s a list of where the 241 players in the D-League played in 2006-07 (not counting college):

Winter (Full season):
D-League 67
NBA 24
CBA 11
ABA 8 (can’t vouch for all players due to incomplete stats)
Overseas 22 (possibly more)

Spring/Summer:
USBL 18
IBL 9
WBA 1 (see ABA)
SEBL 1
BSN 9

Summer Leagues:
Vegas 54
Orlando 22
Rocky Mt 20
SPL 3
JBL 1
Ken ProAm 1
Rucker 3

Also, 75 played in the 07-08 NBA preseason, 36 in 06-07. As you can see, twice as many players moved to the USBL than the IBL. And Jamario Moon, now with Toronto, played for Gary in 2006-07 (and only started 9 of 22 games.)

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:23 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]I sure hope it comes back. I have so much respect for that league. My guy John Jackson's professional career that is now entering his 11th since college, was made by the success he has had in the USBL.

the IBL is doing a dis-service to basketball in the Spring/summer.[/quote]

The owners HAVE to go with a business model that works. The IBL is here and the USBL is gone. I'm not sure who the IBL is doing a dis-service to in Spring/Summer basketball. The WBA?!? Certainly not the USBL. The players?!? What are the players' other stateside options?

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:32 pm

While that does sounds impressive, Ten, I only know of one Roy(Rogers and Dale(Evans) team, who were screen legends. You can't be meaning them.

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:00 pm

Yeah....Unfortunately we are singing "Happy Trails To You!" to the USBL...

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:05 pm

Johnny Jackson! There's a true USBL legend! He got married at halftime of a Cagerz game when they played my Dodge City team. I went out and bought a toaster, wrapped it in purple wrapping paper (Legend colors) and we presented it to him when he was introduced before the game. The look on his face when we gave him a present was priceless! Then after the ceremony at halftime, the fans rained down "chuck a buck" mini basketballs down on the happy couple....then gave them the money from that night's chuck a buck sales!

Great memory from the USBL!

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:52 pm

Ken please leave me alone about the ibl, We can agree to disagree. My main points are they made no attempt to improve their league in terms of talent or style or content and they had a wonderful opening with no USBL. But they stayed status quo, which is their perogative to be a rec league. Just because they have played 4 seasons does'nt mean they are anything to brag about. Up here on the North shore of Chicago we have a mens league thats been around for 20 years, but I don't call that a credible league either. I am not sure how the ibl differs from it.

Thanks Ten for all of you in the USBL. You guys helped a lot of players further their career, something the ibl will never do!!

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:55 pm

The IBL could have probably had Dodge City, Kansas and Oklahoma this spring if they would have pursued it a little bit. I know that DC was really wanting to find a place to play...but didn't think the IBL would be a good enough league...

rider
Site Admin

Merger Talks Now! committ to a Deadline

Post by rider » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:16 pm

The merger discussions have to have a very specific deadline with no exceptions. Focus on getting the teams for next year set ASAP with a set deadline and FOCUS on stabilizing the 8 or 10 franchises now. The league and the teams need the whole year to organize to establish themselves.Don't allow the PBL to flop into the year like last year, either your in or out! Make the announcement of the teams no later than June 1,2008 and build, market , build, market. Give the tems a fighting chance to make it.

Forget the bogus plans of the ABA and the CBA on International play, don't follow the lead of Joe (ABA) and Ricardo (CBA) believing that international play is going to save your bacon,you can't talk about something internationally when your house here is in turmoil. Be creative don't follow those buffoons.

Stablize, Stablize, Stablize

Forget long talks , it's either now or never!

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:31 pm

this is the point I have been making for a long time, get on with it!!!!

I have a feeling that the leagues are going to go there seperate ways!!!

but we dont have to worry, the ibl will save all of us.

I will say this, years ago i would have thought more was good. But when it comes to so called minor leagues, and teams, less is more!!!

I remember when the CBA was the only game in town! It was such a great league!!How in the world did we ever drop to the standards of the aba and the ibl? God help us!!!

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:54 pm

[quote=""rider""]The merger discussions have to have a very specific deadline with no exceptions. Focus on getting the teams for next year set ASAP with a set deadline and FOCUS on stabilizing the 8 or 10 franchises now. The league and the teams need the whole year to organize to establish themselves.Don't allow the PBL to flop into the year like last year, either your in or out! Make the announcement of the teams no later than June 1,2008 and build, market , build, market. Give the tems a fighting chance to make it.

Forget the bogus plans of the ABA and the CBA on International play, don't follow the lead of Joe (ABA) and Ricardo (CBA) believing that international play is going to save your bacon,you can't talk about something internationally when your house here is in turmoil. Be creative don't follow those buffoons.

Stabilize, Stablize, Stablize

Forget long talks , it's either now or never![/quote]

I'm actually changing my opinion on this. I for a while believed a merger was a good thing. Some relatively recent (and public) information that is out there now suggests to me that the PBL should not entertain a merger or acquisition (per runninref) or whatever it is.

There are a couple of the eastern CBA teams that would benefit from being in the PBL and perhaps the PBL would benefit from having them. If those teams are interested in making a switch, they should be evaluated on their own merits and consistency of vision. The same thing holds true for the strongest ABA teams.

The two leagues as entities seem to be too far apart philosophically. Personally, I think this is a shame. I'd really like to see a combined league that is run under a PBL model, but called the "CBA" with 20 teams, but I don't think it can happen unless there is an epiphany of some sort.

Return to “PBL”