NBADL Roster Rules

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
PaulD
Site Admin

NBADL Roster Rules

Post by PaulD » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:00 pm

I think I understand that NBA teams can send players to the NBADL with two years or less experience, three times (each season or in total?)

Each NBADL team has one to three affiliates. Are the NBA teams limited to so many players being sent down (ie can they have more than two players playing at the NBADL level at one time)?

How about the other players that fill out the NBADL teams rosters are they also restricted to having less than two years experience at the NBA level? Are they all acquired thru the NBADL draft?

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:08 pm

You are correct that the NBA teams can only assign a rookie or second year player to the D-League, and after that player is re-called, he cannot be assigned to the D-League again that season. Last year, the Dallas Mavericks used the D-League the most regularly, rotating the trio of Pops Mensah-Bonsu, JJ Barea, and Mo Ager and all 3 were never in the D-League at the same time. Since teams always have one guy on the Injured Reserve list, I believe this is the reason. There are no requirements for the D-League players that aren't assigned, other than that they supposedly need to still be developing. This isn't always the case however, as players like Darvin Ham (34), Randy Livingston (33), Derrick Dial (32), Keith Closs (32), Billy Thomas (32), John Thomas (32), Roberto Bergersen (32), Kevin Sweetwyne (31), Mateen Cleaves (30), and Jelani McCoy (30) are all over 30 and more than likely aren't really improving, just staying in the USA to get noticed and be more available to call-ups. Players can either be drafted or acquired through the available player pool. The player pool consists of players that the league has signed to contracts.

HKF
Site Admin

Post by HKF » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:28 pm

And truthfully the over 30 crowd that is currently in the D-League, is there because they are segueing out of their playing careers and into basketball operations (coaches, scouts, player development, etc...)

Guys like Mateen Cleaves, Billy Thomas, Darvin Ham and Randy Livingston are future D-League or NBA assistant coaches. Cleaves might go the college route as well.

The roster rules will change at the new CBA for the 2011-12 season. It will be completely revamped but much more efficient and streamlined.

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm not so sure the roster rules will change all that much.. I don't think most players will agree to being assigned to the D-League.. Some rookies that haven't even proven themselves don't want to get sent down... If anything, I think they'll have to get a lot in return to agree to anything "major"..

PaulD
Site Admin

Post by PaulD » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:49 am

Thanks guys your info has really been informative.

Return to “D-League”