Seattle Sounders FC (MLS team name)

The Major League Soccer (MLS) forum
Minor League Man
Site Admin

Seattle Sounders FC (MLS team name)

Post by Minor League Man » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:52 pm

http://www.soundersfc.com/Article.aspx?id=1232

I just wanted to let everyone know, cause I sent it in twice to OSC and it hasn't gone up yet-hopefully the name, logo, website and PR updates will be up soon on OSC.
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:52 am

REBRAND AND REBRAND IMMEDIATELY. You have 357 days, 2 hours, yada, yada, yada, to do so. A dead team from a dead league. Let's not try to resurrect ghosts.
Only one team has ever managed to do so successfully, the Cleveland Browns. (Okay, Houston Aeros WHA to AHL)

Let's look at other examples:
Cleveland Barons (AHL) to Cleveland Barons (NHL) dead
Kentucky Colonels (ABA) to Kentucky Colonels (not the same ABA) dead

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:07 pm

MLS San Jose Earthquakes bailed for Houston because the stadium they worked with kept turning the screws. At the gate, they were on par with teams who were otherwise lying more about their attendance.

The original Sounders, BTW, DID NOT FAIL... the NASL did. Never mind that the name has been used since the USL entry began.

Of course, as a stalwart Portland Timbers fan, try and google "Sounding" sometime. You know, after all, it's S**ttle, they smell like fish. They could well be Urethra Stretchers Athletic.

WHEN the Portland Timbers reach MLS, it will be TIMBERS, and any other name would cause a riot. It's a city that has morphed into a place that trusts tradition more than marketing hacks that think they can redefine anything.

Basic summary: soccer fans are more likely to respect tradition and community than the average American sports fan, part of why y'all don't like us much. :D
Last edited by Pounder on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:39 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]MLS San Jose Earthquakes bailed for Houston because the stadium they worked with kept turning the screws. At the gate, they were on par with teams who were otherwise lying more about their attendance.

The original Sounders, BTW, DID NOT FAIL... the NASL did. Never mind that the name has been used since the USL entry began.

Of course, as a stalwart Portland Timbers fan, try and google "Sounding" sometime. You know, after all, it's S**ttle, they smell like fish. They could well be Urethra Stretchers Athletic.

WHEN the Portland Timbers reach MLS, it will be TIMBERS, and any other name would cause a riot. It's a city that has morphed into a place that trusts tradition more than marketing hacks that think they can redefine anything.

Basic summary: soccer fans are more likely to respect tradition and community than the average American sports fan, part of why y'all don't like us much. :D [/quote]

Which is ironic considering the MLS' efforts to destroy what tradition there is in American soccer.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

nksports
Site Admin

I'm not a hater, I'm a (former) player

Post by nksports » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:22 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]Basic summary: soccer fans are more likely to respect tradition and community than the average American sports fan, part of why y'all don't like us much. :D [/quote]

I didn't say I hated you (I played three years in HS, 77, 78, 79, just a three-year school, some college club and some rec after that. Besides, I just saw the second half of a pretty good game between Manchester United and AS Roma on TV this afternoon at one of my favorite eateries: 1-0 MU on a very pretty diving header). I just said it was bad luck and more often than not, doesn't work out.
Frankly, some of the MLS rebrandings (or in some cases original brandings: Dallas Burn, MetroStars, but I have mixed feelings about a team named after a heavily caffinated drink that tastes like cough syrup) leave my head scratching (other than my usual dandruff).

I admit I overlooked the continuity question for Seattle. I know someone posted on here sometime ago they wanted to bring back the old NASL nicknames like the Cosmos, Sockers and Rowdies, but to me that was the stench of soccer death.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:07 am

Well, it's not like LA is pining for Aztecs. Some names are better than others.

Thing is, MLS started out NOT WANTING TO BUY BACK OLD NAMES. I don't believe in the "clean break" theory, I believe in the "start cheap" theory, which isn't the dumbest theory out there.

That being said:

Rowdies v Mutiny - Even more than Cosmos, ROWDIES was a name to try to buy. The, um, success of the Mutiny speaks for itself. Rowdies worked down in Tampa.

Cosmos - Pepe Pinton still asks too much for it. Thing is, MetroStars (MetroMedia) v Red Bulls? What's the difference? NY Red Bulls actually seems a bit more natural to me. Still, that organization never stops finding ways to alienate the fan base... here's hoping the new stadium actually gets finished.

Burn? Wiz? It's better for the league and the planet that the STD Derby got nixed.

Colorado Rapids IS an improvement IMO, but if only they didn't market in such a suicidal manner.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

BruceB
Site Admin

Clarification on selection of Sounders name

Post by BruceB » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:56 am

The reason Seattle's MLS team is going to be called the Sounders is simple: The fans want it. The owners held a "Name the Team" contest featuring multiple choices fans were allowed to vote on precisely because owners did NOT want to call the team the Sounders. However, such a huge number of fans wrote in the Sounders name (far more than the other choices combined), that the team basically had no other option.

BTW, there's talk that the Sounders owners may open up their wallets and try to bring in Thierry Henry to play in Seattle next year. That would be interesting, to say the least.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:41 am

NY needs a team called "Cosmos," preferably IN New York and not at Jimmy Hoffa's resting place in Jersey.
Last edited by SignGuyDino on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:44 am

[quote=""SignGuyDino""]NY needs a team called "Cosmos," preferably IN New York and not at Jimmy Hoffa's resting place in Jersey.[/quote]

It's time to clear up these rumors right here and right now. Jimmy Hoffa IS NOT in the endzone of Giants Stadium. Everyone knows that when Jimmy Hoffa goes to a stadium, he's right on the 50.

Return to “MLS”