Merger talks

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:42 pm

Any league official who gets their email at a yahoo.com address instead of the website domain address should be looked on with some level of suspicion.
If you need furthur details please call:
Duane Allen Jenkins
President
(770) 895-1671
0r
email me at unitedstatesbasketballassoc@yahoo.com

Hmm....
Last edited by robster2001 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fix. :)

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:21 am

I would prefer each region had a strong minor league, but if the PBL and CBL decide to merge that's fine with me.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:57 am

You should remember I said the USBA wouldn't get off the ground this season and when it did it would replace the WBA. Nothing has changed ... it won't get off the ground this season. As for the WBA, do some investigating yourselves. You will find it is a house built on sand. Anything with an ounce of integrity could replace the WBA!D

runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:52 am

(Removed by moderator) It was my understanding that this board (oursportscentral) was here for exchanging information, speculation, and entertainment. Please correct me if I am wrong! It was also my understanding that this thread was to be about a possible CBA / PBL merger. Again, please correct me if I am wrong. And Lastly, I wouldn't know Duane Jenkins if we were face to face nor do I care if the USBA gets off the ground or not. I am just sharing information. :mrgreen:
Last edited by formerlyknownasfells on Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:13 pm

[quote=""SignGuyDino""]Since you have outed yourself...really? You said the USBA will not get off the ground this season? WHEN did you say this? Because the website STILL says the season starts THIS WEEKEND!

You STILL haven't answered any of my questions about the USBA's fraudulent claim that "the schedules are ready," the illegal raffle, the claim that website will be complete shortly, etc.

Why are you now claiming your league won't get off the ground this season? It doesn't say so on the website. It says "the schedules are complete."

And don't worry, copies of your website, complete with the childish photos, poor spelling, grammar and punctuation ("leagues sponsosors and advertisors" being one of my favorites), and all those phony claims are already made.

The WBA at least updated their website in the last month, which is more than your so-called "league."

You didn't secure a lease anywhere (and I looked for a single newspaper story that said you did, found one where the guy running the venue you supposedly were seeking never even heard of you at the time), but the USBA is going to replace the WBA? Please. More likely no basketball or a credible league will step in for 2009.

You're not exactly the person we are going to refer to on opinions on a possible CBA/PBL merger or any other subject.[/quote]

Looks like the USBA has found its a1sports.
Last edited by CHris902 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:54 pm

I am hoping that the two leagues hurry with these talks. They need to make some decisions soon. Its only fair to coaches as well. But in minorleague basketball when it comes to teams, less is more. You don't need 16 teams, you need 10 solid franchises. You are only as good as your weakest link. If one team folds or has all kinds of problems, it really messes things up. And if two or more have problems, then its really ugly.

So that being said, PBL/CBA, just get ten solid franchises and be done with it. Lets see, 1. Yakima, 2. Minot, 3. Quad cities, 4. Rochester, 5.Maryland, 6.Wilmington, 7. Reading, 8. Pittsburgh, 9.Eastern Kentucky, 10. Rockford

**I am prejudice toward Rockford because its an hours drive for me!

I know this list will be controversial so bring it on!

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:09 pm

as much as i'd like to see it....i think minot and yakima are too far off the beaten path for it to work.....and unless you can get it to a twenty something game season, i'd don't see an agreement between the leagues. a splintering is more likely.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

whoa! Stop the presses!

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:03 am

[quote=""bectond""]Would'nt 12 teams make more sense? (with clusters of three teams each)
For instance,
Rochester (PBL)
Albany (CBA)
New Hampshire or Halifax (ABA)
as the Northeast

Pittsburgh (CBA)
Reading (PBL)
East Kentucky (CBA)
as the Central

Lawton (CBA)
McAllen (CBA)
Texas (ABA) {plays as a regional franchise with games in both Wichita Falls and the Dallas area)
as the Southwest

Yakama
Butte
Minot
as the West

Play each divisional team 12 times and all others twice.

The PBL could remain same a short season class A type league with
Gary, Quad Cities, Rockford and Chi-town in the west.
Vermont, Quebec, Montreal and either New Hampshire or Halifax in the NE
and Maryland, Wilmington, Arkansas and Buffalo in the Mid-east.
Play each team 2x for a total of 22 games per year.[/quote]

Why do people always want to put Gary back in the CBA or in that other leaque of a league, the PBL? The IBL seems to be head and shoulders above BOTH the CBA and PBL.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:16 am

Ken, in no way, is the IBL better than any league. Please be serious, the iBL is as semi rec as it gets. There are some good franchises, but the CBA, and PBL is far better leagues. Just look at the players? look at the Coaches? I mean most teams barely pay their players if at all, the level of competition is so bad in IBL, and I like the league, but I am also a realist. The teams normally practice once a week, and play once or twice a week.

But they are consistent, they are at the same level every year. The quality of talent or coaching has not improved at all in its 4 years.

But hey, it serves a purpose. Its too bad the ibl did not capitalize on the usbl demise, and get better. they seem to be content just like they are.

As far as gary is concerned, stay where you are. The mistake on the lake!!

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:24 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]Ken, in no way, is the IBL better than any league. Please be serious, the iBL is as semi rec as it gets. There are some good franchises, but the CBA, and PBL is far better leagues. Just look at the players? look at the Coaches? I mean most teams barely pay their players if at all, the level of competition is so bad in IBL, and I like the league, but I am also a realist. The teams normally practice once a week, and play once or twice a week.

But they are consistent, they are at the same level every year. The quality of talent or coaching has not improved at all in its 4 years.

But hey, it serves a purpose. Its too bad the ibl did not capitalize on the usbl demise, and get better. they seem to be content just like they are.

As far as gary is concerned, stay where you are. The mistake on the lake!![/quote]

You've practically made my case with the above post. However, I think the quality of play has improved now that the USBL is gone. I just don't see the need for expensive winter leagues like the CBA or PBL especially when NBA call-ups are a thing of the past. Actually, I don't see the need for the D-League either as it exists (but that's another post).

Return to “PBL”