Merger talks

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
not so fast
Site Admin

Merger talks

Post by not so fast » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:53 pm

Well I wonder whats going on with the merger, I have heard a few things, but nothing confirmed. It seems like it may not happen, but if it does, what will happen to the teams left out of the merger? Will they go back to the ABA?

It will take a whole lot of marketing to get some of the west teams in the PBL to grow in attendance. It will take the whole summer and then some. My question is, do they have the staff and the will to do it? Is there really a market in arkansas for minorleague basketball? Can Rockford and quad cities revitalize a market that once had other CBA teams? Does chicago have any kind of game plan to survive, and shouldnt the chicago franchise play in the suburbs so to draw a fan base that doesnt have to drive into the city for a game? IDoes dallas have stable ownership yet?

So many questions, so little answers so far.

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:35 pm

good questions. the good news is that season has only been over for a few days. my guess is that everyone may be slowing down in the short term to catch their collective breaths....then back to planning next year.

bdaly
Site Admin

Post by bdaly » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:09 pm

If you watch the RNews segment that's featured on the PBL's main page, they've received interest from 20+ markets, but they only plan to add four teams. We know Buffalo is one of them, and there's talk of two Canadian teams (Montreal and Toronto). That'll certainly solidify the eastern region. I'd be surprised if they don't lose a few teams too. I remain hopeful that some sort of merger will happen, but I suspect we'll be waiting for some time before they hash it all out.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:03 pm

I have no reason to suspect this, but is it possible that the league is going to stay on the east coast and drop the west all together? Because the way it is heading, they have not actively sought west division franchises, although the Gary steelheads and maybe trying to entice the Elkhart team from the IBL
would make a lot of sense.

If you had a division of Elkhart, Gary, Chicago, Quad cities, and Rockford, you would have teams all within bus rides of each other. In addition, you could have the east coast teams fly to chicago, and then bus them to all their west division games, then they could make one flight and play all five teams in the west in lets say a two week period.

Whatever they decide, it needs to start soon, the teams in the west will need the summer to rev up their marketing and sales dept.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:38 pm

I like your lineup, not so fast. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

TopSpin
Site Admin

Post by TopSpin » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:49 pm

If I'm the PBL, I would not be looking to merger with anybody. I would not go after any teams in another league. However, if a team from another league approched me, I would not turn them away, espeically if from the CBA or IBL. I would not even talk to an ABA team, just say NO! Merging with another league means management issues. I would continue on trying to develop our own unigue game plan. Let the teams come to you if they want to play. Just my 2 cents....

panchess
Site Admin

Halifax

Post by panchess » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:29 pm

..travel notwithstanding, would be a strong addition to either the PBL or CBA from a management and franchise perspective.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:41 pm

I would rather see strong regional leagues, one for fall/winter, and one for spring/summer.

I wouldn't mind each league having a season for each time period, either.

Let's work to make the PBL, IBL and CBA stronger, maybe build a credible southeast league, certainly the WBA isn't doing the job and there are no serious alternatives right now.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:37 pm

A few things to consider and remember concerning the "merger" possabilities ....
1. PBL is centered in Chicago, not Rochester , therefore it is safe to say the (mid) West will remain intact to an extent.
2. IBL teams are geared for Summer ball. Outside of Gary, they don't have experience with winter ball, and I would bet have no desire to get into winter ball.
3. PBL and CBA current management are mostly former ABA "castoffs". For obvious reasons, both management systems didn't see eye to eye with Mr. Newman's gameplan.
4. It is not a given that PBL and CBA management see eye to eye now even given their common ground. During the season, both leagues are entirely different beasts altogether.
5. The PBL has made three offers to buy the CBA, all three turned down at this point. What should this tell us?
6. Far west teams would be a logistical nightmare for any league which mostly has teams in the East and Midwest. What do you do with Yakima if there is a super league with no Butte, etc.? Yakima is well funded and has a place somewhere.
7. PBL is a weekend mostly league which seems to be a great plan. CBA plays whenever the arena in question is available with no regard to travel costs, which seems to be a plan destined for failure.
8. There will be some stronger ABA castoffs looking for a place to play. For example: What happens to Halifax if the D league says no? Do you think they will go back to the ABA? I doubt it. What about Manchester, Quebec, or even Vermont) with their short court? My guess is Vermont stays in the ABA and rides out the storm. Why would it leave? Alex is making money and the Frost Heave Nation is a happy place.
9. In the ABA's current form, there is a place for it in Minor league basketball. Dispite all of it's faults, it is a stepping stone, or a weeding out league, if you will. It separates the wannabees from the business professionals in Minor league basketball.
10. Minor league basketball is a business. Those in control (CBA and PBL and Alex in Vermont) will do what is best for the bottom line. They are not idiots. It isn't just about stopping the bleeding or hanging on for the promise of better days, it is also about making a buck by running a successful franchise in a welcoming market.
11. Nothing concerning minor league basketball has ever worked for an extended period of time in the Southeast. :D

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:36 pm

11. Nothing concerning minor league basketball has ever worked for an extended period of time in the Southeast.
Boy, this sounds two-faced, doesn't it?

It was just one month ago when the same person said this, referring to the WBA, the only minor basketball league in the southeast:
USBA will replace this league as it is an unorganized nightmare.
//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... #post85830

BUSTED!

Isn't this the same USBA that is STILL promoting an illegal raffle on their website?

http://www.usbaball.com/SEASON_TICKET_EXTRAVAGANZA.html

The same website that says the "schedules are complete" without ONE SINGLE lease deal announced? Even claimed Asheville as part of that league until I and others called him out on that lie. (How can the schedule be complete when Civic Center Commissioners were calling this league an "imaginary league?") Weren't they scheduled to start this weekend? That's what the website says.

http://www.usbaball.com/schedule.html

The same website that says "Our web site is currently under construction, Please stay tuned as we will be fully operational shortly" and hasn't been changed for months?

http://www.usbaball.com

Now, why would ANYONE be promoting a league and recruting business with no evidence of arena lease deals, instead of shutting it down or at least acknowleging no-go for this year?

Since this person is possibly Duane Jenkins or a friend, that somebody should tell the webmaster of that site (who is Duane Jenkins) to shut it down before authorities figure out it's fraud.
Last edited by SignGuyDino on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

Return to “PBL”