Idaho Concerns

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
Pounder
Site Admin

Idaho Concerns

Post by Pounder » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:51 pm

This is the standard, um, revoltingly negative kind of story the Idaho Statesman is known for.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/337538.html

My guarantee to you... if an NBA team buys the Stampede, it won't be to stay in Boise.

I don't buy that attendance average, BTW. Not one bit.

However, they do tend to cater to the courtsiders... probably why they're still in business.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

panchess
Site Admin

What am I missing?

Post by panchess » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:07 pm

I didn't see this story as negative as all. Basically the Stampede ownership come across as fiscally prudent managers who have invested their money to provide a basketball team for the community without expecting to get their money back.

Buying a floor for the arena may not be a big deal to some, but I am sure it is to the Idaho ownership that scrimped and saved to do it. I miss the Stampede, and the other former CBA teams. They were all well-run organizations.

Getting back $800 from the airline? Smart management, but something none of the fans will ever see.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:18 pm

Please read something into my "um". Pretty please? That's highly important.

The Idaho Statesman, for instance, always goes to, say, real estate people when doing articles about mortgage issues, so there's always sunshine being blown up our collective posteriors by this publication.

So, when I see this:
The Stampede owners average about 60 years of age, Ilett said. He has tried to lure some younger investors, but he also says selling part of the franchise to an NBA team is a possibility.

"We have to self-perpetuate this with people who are younger," said Ilett, 63.
I'm asking you to read between the lines here. I don't see where additional money is really arriving here. I'm not buying the line about sponsorship growth... or at least I'm not buying that it's substantial.

Thing is, the stuff on the court is sweet.

I also think the comments on how Ilett goes over budgets line by line with Gates and other staff is educational- something that others should be looking at. I still think of Burrell Lee's "I just want to play ball" and shake my head. It takes a lot more work than that to be in this business, even for a coach.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:20 am

Whats the deal with these owners saying that they don't make any money? Every owner says that minor league or professional yet leagues don't have problems getting owners to buy franchises.....

hoophead
Site Admin

Post by hoophead » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:04 pm

I'm afraid there's just too much competition dealing with Boise State and the other minor league teams. The attendance has been really disappointing; I mean, what more does this team need to do? Field a winner? Check. Local stars? Cory Violette and Roberto Bergersen, check. NBA quality players? Lance Allred and Randy Livingston, check. I agree with Pounder that the team is the city's to lose.

bdyer
Site Admin

Post by bdyer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:45 pm

I don't think they are in that bad of shape.

Anaheim, Bakersfield and Colorado seem worse off from what I have seen.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:42 pm

Colorado I believe is owned by the same people that own the arena so I think they can take a little more then most teams.....

bdyer
Site Admin

Post by bdyer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:52 pm

True enough, but their attendance outside of Friday and Saturday is close to nil.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:08 pm

[quote=""bdyer""]I don't think they are in that bad of shape.

Anaheim, Bakersfield and Colorado seem worse off from what I have seen.[/quote]

Team survival is not an issue of relativity in regards to the rest of the league. It's your own situation, including the lease, ownership, sponsorships, etc. Just because the attendance elsewhere might be worse doesn't mean they necessarily ARE worse.

However, I'd grant you that Bakersfield (certainly) and Anaheim (quite likely) have serious problems.

bdyer
Site Admin

Post by bdyer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:52 am

[quote=""Pounder""]Team survival is not an issue of relativity in regards to the rest of the league. It's your own situation, including the lease, ownership, sponsorships, etc. Just because the attendance elsewhere might be worse doesn't mean they necessarily ARE worse.[/quote]That's why I didn't include the SW Basketball teams. I think their overhead is much lower. Anaheim and Bakersfield have good sponsorship situations now, but they won't last forever if the seats aren't filled.

Return to “D-League”