Future CHL Cities...

The Central Hockey League (CHL) forum
phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:09 pm

I still believe that Abilene and Waco would be good markets. I realize that they have had WPHL/CHL teams in the past. But I think with the right management in place, that they could both work very well for this league.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:30 am

BTW...

Yuma will not be an 08-09 team, no matter what Wikipedia says. Ground has yet to be broken on the arena. Yuma's city council voted 4-3 to approve the funding PROCESS and seek funding. Money is not moving yet.

Meanwhile, the CHL's parent company is on the skids. http://wenatcheeworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /146087848
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:32 am

[quote=""Pounder""]BTW...

Yuma will not be an 08-09 team, no matter what Wikipedia says. Ground has yet to be broken on the arena. Yuma's city council voted 4-3 to approve the funding PROCESS and seek funding. Money is not moving yet.

Meanwhile, the CHL's parent company is on the skids. http://wenatcheeworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /146087848[/quote]

Is that the "panic button" I hear being mashed in the AIFA offices?
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

WacoTitan
Site Admin

Post by WacoTitan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:29 pm

[quote=""phydeaux72""]I still believe that Abilene and Waco would be good markets. I realize that they have had WPHL/CHL teams in the past. But I think with the right management in place, that they could both work very well for this league.[/quote]

Waco is dying for a Hockey team...We've had a population burst to a 250,000 metro area and the CenTex area (Temple/Belton/Ft. Hood) has a population of 200,000...When the Waco Wizards played the CenTex Stampede they would sell out the games and the arena would be full of away fans at both sites. It was a great rivalry...plus Waco and CenTex have great Hockey venues

davyd83
Site Admin

Post by davyd83 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:12 am

[quote=""WacoTitan""]Waco is dying for a Hockey team...We've had a population burst to a 250,000 metro area and the CenTex area (Temple/Belton/Ft. Hood) has a population of 200,000...When the Waco Wizards played the CenTex Stampede they would sell out the games and the arena would be full of away fans at both sites. It was a great rivalry...plus Waco and CenTex have great Hockey venues[/quote]

CenTex a "great hockey venue???" It's brutal. The locker rooms are dumps. The ice was bad and the front row of seats is 30 feet from the boards. They are so far away that Alexandria's Roger Maxwell once threw his stick over the glass near the blue line and it still came up short of the front row of seats by a good 15 feet. There is the possibility that a new arena may be built near Belton. However, the only thing good about the old barn was that the Ox Bow Steakhouse was nearby! Waco's facility is average at best. But it also had bad ice.

WacoTitan
Site Admin

Post by WacoTitan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:47 am

I hear that the IceBats could be moving to Belton (TX)....

WacoTitan
Site Admin

Post by WacoTitan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:13 am

[quote=""davyd83""]CenTex a "great hockey venue???" It's brutal. The locker rooms are dumps. The ice was bad and the front row of seats is 30 feet from the boards. They are so far away that Alexandria's Roger Maxwell once threw his stick over the glass near the blue line and it still came up short of the front row of seats by a good 15 feet. There is the possibility that a new arena may be built near Belton. However, the only thing good about the old barn was that the Ox Bow Steakhouse was nearby! Waco's facility is average at best. But it also had bad ice.[/quote]

I enjoyed every game I went to at the Expo Center, but it was always the Waco/CenTex rivalry so the atmosphere was probably more than usual. The Waco Barn is nicer than it was when the Wizards played there and is great for the CHL in my opinion....

djchuckc
Site Admin

because?

Post by djchuckc » Thu May 08, 2008 2:03 am

Is that rumor of the Ice Bats movin because the AHL is eyeing Austin?
Go Tulsa Oilers!

davyd83
Site Admin

Austin

Post by davyd83 » Thu May 08, 2008 3:56 am

The AHL Texas Stars have recently finalized an agreement to move into, and partially own an arena about to be built in suburban Austin in either 2009 or 2010, depending upon completion.

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:01 pm

[quote=""davyd83""]CenTex a "great hockey venue???" It's brutal. The locker rooms are dumps. The ice was bad and the front row of seats is 30 feet from the boards. They are so far away that Alexandria's Roger Maxwell once threw his stick over the glass near the blue line and it still came up short of the front row of seats by a good 15 feet. There is the possibility that a new arena may be built near Belton. However, the only thing good about the old barn was that the Ox Bow Steakhouse was nearby! Waco's facility is average at best. But it also had bad ice.[/quote]

I must agree. The Bell County Expo is a dung heap. I went to an IFL game at the Expo last year. The lighting was horrible and the locker rooms are tiny and in piss poor shape. And as Davy pointed out, the floor is so huge that the first row of seats sit way far away from the rink, at least 20-25 feet.

They do have a killer sound system though.

Return to “CHL”