CBA/PBL Merger: Still Possible or No?

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

CBA/PBL Merger: Still Possible or No?

Post by DazedAndAmused » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:47 pm

.....mum seems to be the word on this as of late.

Both seem a little preoccupied with their problem children I suppose.

Anyone have any insight?

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:53 pm

I can only speak for me and I'm a little more concerned about the end of the season and the Xplosion, than I am about talk of a merger(tmo).

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:00 pm

Sure, that's what you should be concerned with if you're a fan or have some position with a particular team.

But, there are some on this board that are a bit more connected or in the know at the league level who often have good insight.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:06 pm

I think serious talks will begin when the season ends. I don't think that the PBL will be that flexible in regards as to changing from what they want to do.

If a merger happens, I think the CBA will have to make more concesions, even though they have the history, the better coaches overall, and better players as a whole. I just think the PBL would rather stay the way they are, than merge and change.

Time will tell.

bomp
Site Admin

Post by bomp » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:32 pm

There are discussions between owners going on right now. They aren't going to announce anything until after the playoff ends. Two people in the know say that the owners don't want to turn into the ABA or back into the ABA.

The 'wigged one' knows what is going on but as usual is trying to spin it like they are fools and he is not.

The 'weak sisters' will be invited to leave. I think that a PBL/CBA merger is the only way to save independent ownership at this level in minor league basketball.
Unique ideas lead to prison. Don't name your son after a baseball glove. "Listen dude, do you really want the SEX??"

panchess
Site Admin

Better together...

Post by panchess » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:24 am

..clearly the weak sisters on the CBA side are Butte, Great Falls, Atlanta and maybe Pittsburgh.

I don't know the PBL, but would assume Dallas and Jacksonville would be out, and Rochester, Reading, Maryland and Wilmington would be in.

While I can certainly understand the PBL concern, their season is just too short. That is a concept that didn't work, either to establish the teams (the idea was to cut out the early season when it is hard to sell seats anyway) or keep them all running for the season.

rider
Site Admin

Jacksonville

Post by rider » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:15 am

I am very confident that Jacksonville will be sold to a very solid investor who also will own a second franchise in the South Florida market. This gentlemen also owns his own arena and is very wealthy. I think it will all come down in roughly a month. If this investor moves forward he will also bring with him a group for Tampa/St. Pete as he lives in Naples!These are all great markets for the investor who has the $ to operate a franchise properly! Can't operate on air , you must have the ability to operate your franchise and support over a five year period. The PBl will be aware of this deal very soon, The PBL has a future!

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:17 am

Panchess, having been to all the X games, I can tell you that the Xplosion can qualify for being one of the stronger franchises in the league. I have seen much better attendence(as proven with our record crowd). They have to promote more, though and I think they will.

PikevilleOT
Site Admin

Post by PikevilleOT » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:37 am

[quote=""psbf""]Panchess, having been to all the X games, I can tell you that the Xplosion can qualify for being one of the stronger franchises in the league. I have seen much better attendence(as proven with our record crowd). They have to promote more, though and I think they will.[/quote]

IN a game versus the Miners just before/after your record crowd there were barely more X fans than there were Miners fans... You have to agree as I was there and I know... I am not sure what was happening at your record crowd game but from your pics posted the crowd has been sparse at each.. The attendance numbers the X release doesn't scream stability. Sorry but thats just the way it appears by the numbers..

What in your opinion makes the X one of the stronger franchises?

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:17 am

You were there, ot?? SO WAS I!!! I tend to be skeptical about those who say they were at Xplosion games yet I never see them there!

Return to “CBA”