Reno Announcement Postponed

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
S.Sox
Site Admin

Reno Announcement Postponed

Post by S.Sox » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:16 pm

The National Basketball Association's D-League team introduction, scheduled for 1 p.m. today at the Reno Events Center, has been canceled due to weather.

The event will be rescheduled, but a team official did know when as of Sunday morning.

The unnamed D-League team, which will begin play in the 2008-09 season, had planned a public ceremony for this afternoon to announce its arrival in Reno.

Does anyone here know the name/affiliation of the Reno Team???

S.Sox

ChumpDumper
Site Admin

Post by ChumpDumper » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:30 pm

Well, for a long time it was rumored Southwest Basketball was moving their Fort Worth franchise there. In that case there would probably be multiple affiliations. That's all I could guess at this point.

EDIT: I just read the release. It is the former Fort Worth team.
Last edited by ChumpDumper on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:18 am

I was told that the Maloof brothers have there hands in the franchise somehow.... But ya its SW basketball's franchise... I would bet that it would be the Kings and maybe Golden State......

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:35 am

Reno Sheep?

Reno prey for the Wolfpack?
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:44 am

Reno Keno...

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:07 pm

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... 018/SPORTS

Look at reader comments below the story.

If you don't think the ABA has an impact on all minor pro ball, think again.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

ChumpDumper
Site Admin

lol

Post by ChumpDumper » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:29 pm

I find the comments pretty funny. If they don't know the difference between the ABA and the D-League, they won't be going to the games anyway.

ChumpDumper
Site Admin

Post by ChumpDumper » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:11 pm

"The roads look fine to me."

"We are from Socal-and still amazed how SOFT this
area and many of it's people are when it comes
to weak kneed excuses due to "weather" and "traffic".
Those excuses do not fly in the Big City...
3" inches of snow-and 'I cannot make it to work'...LOL.... "

RENO, Nev. -- A powerful storm dumped up to 29 inches of snow and shut down the main artery from Nevada into northern California overnight.

Interstate 80 over Donner Summit was closed for more than four hours because of poor visibility and high winds, said Mark Dinger, a spokesman for the California Department of Transportation.

Westbound I-80 traffic was backed up for about five miles at Truckee, Calif., after the interstate reopened shortly after 5 a.m. Sunday.

"They're trying to get traffic cleared out," Dinger said. "We have about 205 people and 135 pieces of snow equipment working on the I-80 corridor."

South of Lake Tahoe, Highway 88 over Carson Pass was closed for nearly 2.5 hours Sunday after a small avalanche trapped two vehicles at about 8:30 a.m., Dinger said.

Crews freed the vehicles from the slide, and no injuries were reported.

A section of Highway 88 over the nearby Carson Spur remained closed Sunday afternoon because of avalanche-control activities, authorities said.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/02 ... _24_08.txt

Buncha wusses....

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:15 pm

I think Reno is just depressed with the past when it comes to Minor League Basketball.... they were rumored to get a Dleague team last year to have the ownership not approved or whatever the case was. They were suppose to get an ABA team that never made its way.... The Bighorns of the CBA were there I think half of a season, so I understand if they are upset....

The question I have is in the article they only say there is going to be 2 expansion teams...... I have seen articles saying that the Rimrockers are moving to most likely Cedar Rapids IA for next year and we have all seen the articles of the Cavaliers starting a franchise in either Youngstown or Erie....... I've also heard that Dallas is looking at Frisco along with local ownership and the disfunct Flame are also looking into putting the disfunct franchise in the area.....

ChumpDumper
Site Admin

My money would be on Cedar Rapids

Post by ChumpDumper » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:37 pm

The league gave the RimRockers a November 07 deadline for finding a new market at least in principal, and they are the only other team that has had a semi-recent update on their status:

http://www.iowacaucus.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 239/0/golf

Return to “D-League”