Toros Team Thread

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:45 pm

Every team's got that guy though. Carlos Powell had 6 assists, but 1-10 shooting? Terrible.

ChumpDumper
Site Admin

Powell

Post by ChumpDumper » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:22 pm

DerMarr was just all over him. You can't fault Powell for this one, he was playing the way I usually see him play; he just had a motivated NBA player defending him Saturday. That was DerMarr's season high in blocks.

abie10
Site Admin

Post by abie10 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:17 pm

How is Serge doin out there???

ChumpDumper
Site Admin

Serge

Post by ChumpDumper » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:24 pm

He's barely in the rotation. I thought he may have had an opportunity to take some minutes from Anthony Fuqua, but Fooq really turned it on these past couple of games. I'm not sure how much Serge fits in the Toros' plans this season. I think they still want to take a look at Eric Dawson once he's fully healed -- which should be any day now. Can't fault Serge's effort though.

ChumpDumper
Site Admin

Toros Acquire Andre Barrett From Bakersfield Jam

Post by ChumpDumper » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:16 am

AUSTIN, TX (February 25) – The Austin Toros announced today that they traded forward Justin Reed to the Bakersfield Jam for guard Andre Barrett.

Reed, a 6-8 forward out of Mississippi averaged 14.5 points and six rebounds in 15 games with the Toros this season.

Barrett, a 5-10 guard from Seton Hall averages 19 points, three rebounds, and eight assists per game. Barrett will wear jersey #4 and is expected to play Friday when the Toros take on Fort Wayne at the Austin Convention Center.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/barrett_080225.html

Since Mateen Cleaves is going back to the Jam, this is a win-win deal for the teams involved. Toros get a great pass-first point guard who can hit the three and the Jam get a prolific scorer. Reed was a black hole here, but that won't matter in Bakersfield.

bdyer
Site Admin

Post by bdyer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:39 pm

Well, the Toros kind of got boned since Andre Barrett got called up by the Clippers only one game after they traded Justin Reed for him.

Ian Mahinmi wasn't able to finish the Anaheim game as he took a hard fall on his hip/tailbone after a hard foul from Terrence Crawford.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee13 ... =slideshow

The Toros have one roster spot open after the departure of Keith Langford to Italy, and perhaps another if Barrett doesn't come back. Now there's word in the Albuquerque thread that the Toros may be trading with them. Hopefully they will be ready for the showdown with the Stampede in Boise Wednesday.

bdyer
Site Admin

Clippers Sign Marcus Williams

Post by bdyer » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:01 pm

The Los Angeles Clippers today signed free agent forward Marcus Williams from the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League for the remainder of the season and waived forward Aaron Williams. Marcus Williams is the 23rd Gatorade Call-up from the NBA Development League this season.

Selected in the second round of the 2007 NBA Draft by the San Antonio Spurs, Marcus Williams appeared in seven preseason games with the Spurs and averaged 3.3 points and 2.6 rebounds before being waived on Oct. 27 and joining the Toros. The former University of Arizona standout re-signed with the Spurs on Dec. 26 and played in one game before being waived on Dec. 29.

The Seattle, Washington native has been a leader for the Toros in the D-League this season, earning D-League Player of the Week honors for the week of March 10, 2008. In 36 games with the Toros, Williams averaged 19.2 points, 6.9 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.5 steals in 34.9 minutes. Williams started 23 games and also shot 52 percent from the field.

http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/sign_w ... 80328.html

Well, that was kind of inevitable given Marcus' play this past month. Thank goodness we got Josh Gross to soften the blow a bit. I really hope that Jamar Smith is coming back now that the Japan Superleague season is over.

TBirdCrazy
Site Admin

Post by TBirdCrazy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:34 pm

bdyer...

As a devoted Tbirds fan (if you have not guessed by the name) I wish you much luck with Gross. Truthfully, he is just not that good. You will read in my first post of the year about Josh Gross in the Tbirds thread...I thought this guy had talent...well, he does have talent, if he used it. Problem is he has an attitude problem, and can't play defense...he is an offensive talent, but that is it.

Since we traded him, the Tbirds have had fun playing, with him, they were jawing all the time.

Again...good luck

bdyer
Site Admin

So far so good

Post by bdyer » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:39 am

Gross scored 20 off the bench tonight in a quality win over LA. It's possible there will be less of a problem with Gross in Austin since he can easily take the shots Marcus Williams did before being called up. There is also more people here on the staff to work with him personally. I'm keeping my expectations pretty limited to scoring -- Justin Bowen can do the dirty work.

bdyer
Site Admin

Well

Post by bdyer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:47 am

Another good game for Josh -- had a monster putback dunk to take the wind out of the last Jam push. He's getting 30+ minutes off the bench, so he can't really complain about playing time.

Return to “D-League”