Minot @ East Kentucky - Feb. 9

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
PikevilleOT
Site Admin

Post by PikevilleOT » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:12 am

sharing one ball between 3 or 4 scorers is definitely creating chemistry issues. I was a big fan of playing all the all-stars at one time, but it isn't translating into wins. Coach has his work cut out finding team rhythm again.

tonight some missed free throws early and some touch fouls creating 3 point opportunities for Minot sealed our fate. I wish we would make out fouls count and make sure the ball can't slide thru the net and make the 2 points get earned from the free throw line.

I think we could learn from some of Minot's system of double cuts and low block spacing for creating more scoring opportunites.

It was nice to see crowd of 2400+ though... just wish we could have held the lead. Let's play spoiler to the X tomorrow!

psbf
Site Admin

Post by psbf » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:42 am

That's a great crowd, ot!
As far as tomorrow night, the Miners will be playing their third game in as many nights, plus they have to travel up here, so they will be at a disadvantage to the Xplosion, who will have been rested since we defeated the Skyrockets. I'll keep you updated as to the result. Albany also lost last night, I'm curious to know what happened down there today.

MinersFan3
Site Admin

Responses

Post by MinersFan3 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:24 pm

First off, Keathley is a great coach. He has put together a core group of athletes that rivals any other in the CBA. He puts a bunch of hard workers on the floor night after night. However, a few problems (imo) have hindered the Miners from performing up to their potential this year.

1) They are a young group of guys. You have to expect them to drop a couple close ones. Experience means SO MUCH at this level, just look at Ronnie Fields.

2) They obviously have some team chemistry issues. When you have a guy who is supposed to be a league leading scorer missing 2/3 of his shots mainly because of bad decisions, you have a major problem on your hands. (not mentioning names, but i think we all know)

3) Saturday we had two KEY guards go out with injuries (Mike Crain and Bryant Northern). Neither of those guys played Sunday's game. Unfortunately, that put us WAY short on players. I'm giving coach TONS of credit for rotating those guys out and getting McLeish / Dean / Pace some CRUCIAL resting time. However, its tough to win when your guards are playing an entire game on very little rest.

I heard no update on Mike Crain, but I was told that Bryant Northern suffered a small fracture in his hand. He HOPES to be back in a couple weeks, but we'll have to see how it goes.

I really hope the Miners can get things turned around soon. We're running out of games as far as playoff hopes go (I haven't checked, we may already have run out, but it was pretty close the last time I looked) . . . .
I'LL SUPPORT THEM EITHER WAY!
GO MINERS!
Last edited by MinersFan3 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SUNKINGS
Site Admin

Post by SUNKINGS » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:37 pm

There is contradiction all over. If Keathley is a great coach. He would take the great core to the playoffs. I was very impressed with the Miners players. IMHO they are way underachieving, which the coach has to be partly responsible.

SUNKINGS
Site Admin

Post by SUNKINGS » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:39 pm

By the way , I havent heard anything about that Christian dude living out his dream/fantasy. Whats up with him?

panchess
Site Admin

Young Guys...

Post by panchess » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:41 pm

..on EK, that is true. Two rookies, and only Northern is more than three years out of college. Minot and Yakama's stars are older.

Defense is a problem. They have been outrebounded, and give up a .505 shooting percentage. Minot is at .460. Pittsburgh .473. Yakama .439. There is a lot of the difference in these close games EK seems to lose with regularity. Six of their last seven losses (including two to Yakama) were by five points or less. They are close.

I am guessing the Miners will go 4-3 on the road trip, winning two in Atlanta and two in Great Falls.

heavesrock
Site Admin

Post by heavesrock » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:18 pm

[quote=""SUNKINGS""]By the way , I havent heard anything about that Christian dude living out his dream/fantasy. Whats up with him?[/quote]

Not this again. He's still with the team. Maybe he will get a shot with players injured. If not, please don't start this argument again.
Vermont Frost Heaves fan site: http://freewebs.com/frostheavesfans

Frost Heaves Forum: http://frostheaves.proboards.com

SUNKINGS
Site Admin

Post by SUNKINGS » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:03 pm

Heaves, that is funny , because the last thing I wanted to do was start that again. It's just been so long since we had an update. I thought maybe he had just faded away.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 pm

BTW... coaching is overrated. Players win games, especially when they execute something after the play breaks down (which is at least as often as not).

Coaches can probably win or cost you 10% of your season.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

SUNKINGS
Site Admin

Post by SUNKINGS » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Disagree
Woolpert calls plays on both ends of the floor throughout games. Guys dont execute they sit. I watch other teams come in here and watch their coach stand there with his arms folded watching the game. Then calling timeout as the game slips away. I say it 70-75% players 25-30% coaching. Without talent you have nothing is a fact.

Return to “CBA”