PBL No Better

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
rider
Site Admin

PBL No Better

Post by rider » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:40 am

The crazies are starting to unfold with the PBL, Jacksonville and Dallas down the tube. You have to ask why they were not checked better after all the talk of stability and credibility.

Dallas is no surprise , they were not organised for the longest time, no web and details to the last minute.

The PBL paying the travel ect thought they were creating stability and simply are being taken advantage of. what happened to the bonds? I bet they couldn't produce one bond from any team in the league.

To bad , basketball needs them to succeed.

tops804
Site Admin

Best case scenario...

Post by tops804 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:47 am

...Take the best PBL and ABA teams (Are there any in the ABA?) put them in
the CBA. Market and develop the CBA as a feeder league to the NBDL.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:50 am

Dallas is by all reports not down the tube. Yes, the PBL probably didn't vet as well as they should have. You live, you learn.

The bonds must exist; how else could the league be paying to run an entire team?

The PBL, even amidst the Jacksonville stuff, has been stable. Only one game has not been played and it has been rescheduled. Yes, Wilmington did not play today's scheduled opponent, but they did play basketball today, as advertised, to a full house.

The PBL IMO is succeeding. They have pulled Jacksonville's fat out of the fire twice and covered a really big date for Wilmington by assuring them an opponent.

Yes, the quality of some of the members was probably more suspect than was prudent. But no team so far has folded while a member of the PBL. (It's true; the Jacksonville JAM was evicted from the league before it folded). Can that red, white, and blue league say the same?

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:51 am

[quote=""tops804""]...Take the best PBL and ABA teams (Are there any in the ABA?) put them in
the CBA. Market and develop the CBA as a feeder league to the NBDL.[/quote]
Even with the PBL's "problems" they haven't fielded a team with only five members. How about you take the best CBA teams and fold them into the PBL?

rider
Site Admin

PBl No Better

Post by rider » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:21 pm

Please understand I in no way am a ABA supporter and my comments in no way are using the ABA as a comparison. The problem is that the failures of the ABA have sadly created the standard or level of what is acceptable profesional conduct. NOT

Having a spare team to play is really B.S! and is not professioanlly acceptable. Soon we willl have one in every city and simply ship uniforms. Can you imagine the NBA or the NHL doing the same, they would be run out of the city.

I do respect the efforts of the PBL officials to fill in the holes but your credibility is shot when you bring in a shelf team.

My biggest problem is why did the Dallas or Jacksonville pass the entrance test? I guess history should have shown us when they couldn't make timely annoucements that they truly couldn't pull a new league together. Dolyle kept saying how high the standard was going to be and in realty the bar wasn't very high at all. They were like a frog in hot water from their limited experience and reference being in the ABA. I don't believe that any team put up a bond? Do you think Jacksonville did! Not a chance!

Everyone in the PBL and the CBA have to wake up and do whats in the best interest of minor league basketball merge merge merge. Do it NOW! Everyone play one inter league game now and or have the two champs play each other at end of the season. Make the committment NOW! give the the process time to mature so that your ready for next season. Don't stumble into a nother season.

Alumni96
Site Admin

Post by Alumni96 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:15 pm

[quote=""tops804""]...Take the best PBL and ABA teams (Are there any in the ABA?) put them in
the CBA. Market and develop the CBA as a feeder league to the NBDL.[/quote]

I agree with some of this. Take the best teams and make one league. Don't market yourself as an NBDL feeder league however. The next step up for 95% of these players is a payday overseas. Play by FIBA Rules. Develop a relationship with leagues in Europe. The US needs a way for players to become experienced with the FIBA rules. Teams in Europe will know how a player fits into a game that is officiated with the rules in their league.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:20 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]Dallas is by all reports not down the tube.[/quote]

Not all reports. One report from usabasketball.com reported they are in dire financial straits. They turned out to be right about the Jam. Time will tell if this report has the same credibility.
Yes, the PBL probably didn't vet as well as they should have. You live, you learn.
That was one of their founding principles. I don't understand how they acted so haphazardly about it. It really hurts their credibility in my eyes.
The bonds must exist; how else could the league be paying to run an entire team?
I am assuming that they pay for it the same way they pay for the travel, which I still do not comprehend. I also seem to have doubts about these bonds, granted I don't have a great knowledge of what is going on in the league. The league is planning to run the "Slam" as a barebones travel team, there doesn't seem to significant funds behind the operation. If the bonds do exist, then they hardly fulfill even the most basic requirements. That’s a problem.
The PBL, even amidst the Jacksonville stuff, has been stable. Only one game has not been played and it has been rescheduled. Yes, Wilmington did not play today's scheduled opponent, but they did play basketball today, as advertised, to a full house.
The league office itself has done a fine job thus far. However, one team out of ten is a huge blow. The replacement team fiasco is not good. It reminds me of the YMCA squad Boston sent to Halifax to face the Rainmen. It looked bad on the Rainmen and the ABA. The game was a dud, in front of over 2,000 people.
The PBL IMO is succeeding. They have pulled Jacksonville's fat out of the fire twice and covered a really big date for Wilmington by assuring them an opponent.
It's good to see the league taking initiative and helping out a team. That's a huge step above the ABA's management. However, this problem should not have occurred on the first place. Period.
Yes, the quality of some of the members was probably more suspect than was prudent. But no team so far has folded while a member of the PBL. (It's true; the Jacksonville JAM was evicted from the league before it folded). Can that red, white, and blue league say the same?
I don't think he was arguing that the ABA is better league. It’s not. I am simply saying, that when judged on its own merits, the PBL has some major issues. We need to stop using the ABA as a measuring stick for success. I am new to minor league basketball, but the amount of mismanagement has been shocking to me.
Last edited by misenern on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:45 pm

I'll stop using the ABA as a yardstick when other people start remembering the PBL has been in existence for less than a year.

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:46 pm

The PBL has deffinately hit a rough spot in the road right now, but it seems they are still organized and handling things the best way they can.

One example of that is getting a team out to Wilmington for a game on such short notice. What if those 2k people in Wilmington showed up and there was no game, now that would be a terrible situation.

Dallas needs to get their act together and get on the right flight, theres no excuse, thats just stupidity on the coach's end.

Chicago is scheduled to play at Jacksonville tonight on the PBL site but then Chicago has Jacksonville scheduled to be coming into Chicago on their sit, where will the game be played? Did the SLAM(pbl) find players, and keep around Jam players willing to stay?? This will be the real test for the league, after what happened with the Jam and whatnot, and how quickly it happened this week, didnt not give the PBL much time to resolve the situation, lets see how tonight goes.
Last edited by tbayz1 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The PBL is in Buffalo! Lets Go Stampede!!

tbayz1
Site Admin

Correction...

Post by tbayz1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:55 pm

Now the SLAM also have stated they will be traveling to Chicago for tonights game, so it looks like Chicago will be hosting Jacksonville today, and the PBL needs to update their site
The PBL is in Buffalo! Lets Go Stampede!!

Return to “PBL”