Chicago is in good shape, games are on as scheduled

The Premier Basketball League (PBL) forum
DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Chicago is in good shape, games are on as scheduled

Post by DazedAndAmused » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:20 pm

Just heard from a reliable source that the Chicago team is in good shape and ready to go, though they will likely not come as the "Aztecas":

Other key points I heard:
-Through a fortuitous series of events, a better option (for all) has emerged over the last couple of months for the Chicago PBL team.
-Aztecas owner/leader is in good standing with the league and will still lead (and perhaps concentrate on) league international events. He may or may not have long term involvement with the local team (sponsorship or otherwise), but will keep a relationship with the league long term.
-The schedule will be played as published 2 months ago.
-More is to be out on this any day. External factors prohibited details from being released any sooner.

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:05 pm

I agree. I have heard that The Aztecas will be a traveling team for the PBL to play in Mexico etc etc. The CHICAGO THROWBACKS will assume the original Aztecas schedule. The owner of the Aztecas has some position with the PBL coordinating international basketball in South America and Mexico.
The PBL and LNPB of Mexico have a working relationship established.

rider
Site Admin

Chicago Is In Good Shape?

Post by rider » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:08 pm

Do you really believe thath Chicago is in good shape? Where are they going to play? do they have a lease signed? Do they have a web site? do they have any staff? Have they sold any season tickets or corporate sponsorships? Have they done any marketing, spent even one dollar to advertise? Does anyone know that they exist?

Doesn't the season start january 4? God forbid that the measurement of a stable franchise is simply that they will complete there schedule. Whoever is paying the biills will simply blow a $1 million bucks and barely make it through the season.

The ABA has blurred peoples minds , Chicago is everything Doyle preached against and surprise we are back there.

radiodavel
Site Admin

Chicago schedule change

Post by radiodavel » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:15 pm

Chicago's Jan 4th game with Rockford has been changed to Jan 5 at Rockford (College), change is on the Fury site, PBL site has not updated as of this morning...

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:46 pm

rider, check out some of the other chatter on this topic. this is not a new team. stay tuned.

one way
Site Admin

tickets

Post by one way » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:53 pm

the season starts in one week. Check out these web sites, many do not even have a ticket number or prices. How many tickets do you think they sold for opening night ( by the way, openeing night should be one of your biggest crowds of the year.)

cdamion
Site Admin

will be ok if it is the throwbacks

Post by cdamion » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:11 pm

Rider - if it is indeed the ABA's throwbacks that will play, then there is a nice facility, a fanbase, etc.

I believe the throwbacks' owner is committed to basketball and has been screwed by the ABA. If you look at the ABAs schedule, they have maybe 8 games scheduled for the throbacks for the rest of the year. They have a strong team and have consistently had to bring in some regional all star teams to make up for the no shows/folded aba teams.

It would be a good move for the Throwbacks to abandon the ABA's sinking ship.

one way
Site Admin

you have got to be kidding

Post by one way » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:15 pm

Out of all the statements over the years that have been posted, that statement about the Throwbacks has to be the craziest one yet. The Throwbacks have a fan base??? The Throwbacks are credible??? This board has gotten way out of control..

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

You're joking, right?

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:41 pm

[quote=""cdamion""]Rider - if it is indeed the ABA's throwbacks that will play, then there is a nice facility, a fanbase, etc.

I believe the throwbacks' owner is committed to basketball and has been screwed by the ABA. If you look at the ABAs schedule, they have maybe 8 games scheduled for the throbacks for the rest of the year. They have a strong team and have consistently had to bring in some regional all star teams to make up for the no shows/folded aba teams.

It would be a good move for the Throwbacks to abandon the ABA's sinking ship.[/quote]

Yeah, I have to agree with one way on this (and I seldom agree with one way 8) ). This quote about the Throwbacks having a fanbase is as close to outlandish as it gets. Laughable!

cdamion
Site Admin

ok SMALL fanbase

Post by cdamion » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:55 pm

There are a loyal few at the games.

They've done ok considering the number of YMCA all-star type teams they have been bringing in.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to spend something - anything on advertising, which I have seen none of?

Return to “PBL”