New Franchises for 08-09???

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
ChumpDumper
Site Admin

Post by ChumpDumper » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:59 pm

Aren't there like three CBA teams slated to begin operations in the Seattle/Vancouver area over the next three years? I can see the NBA cherry picking one of those. Hell, Paul Allen might want to start one as a pretext to moving the Blazers there.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:52 am

[quote=""ChumpDumper""]Aren't there like three CBA teams slated to begin operations in the Seattle/Vancouver area over the next three years? I can see the NBA cherry picking one of those. Hell, Paul Allen might want to start one as a pretext to moving the Blazers there.[/quote]

Ya something like that they have been talking for years and then right before the league says are you in they say wait one year... last i heard they wanted to wait until after the Olympics but who knows.... All I am saying is if the NBA could get one of there guys up in that area they could open a whole new market and get 2-4 others with Yakima....

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:09 pm

Allen BOUGHT the Rose Garden. It would now be a major blunder to move the Blazers.

Tri-City - been there, done that. Ag base with major tech underpinnings, but they only just got around to supporting their long-time WHL team, the af2 team does draw, the baseball team does not. It's really a market for (and S**ttle fans should get this reference) the Ineffectual Middle Management Suckups.

Yakima - if it's dying, don't blink, because the current housing bubble will probably HELP these guys... otherwise, whatever financial base they had is dissippating. Could be Hispanic-dominated by now (maybe not for long in the still-growing Northwest). This is an ag town with NO tech underpinnings. Baseball team (with a rather nice facility, from what I've seen) does not draw well. CBA team only got a boost when Rony Turiaf played his rehab stint there. I'm betting the attendance numbers are puffery (they wouldn't be the first NW team to do that, by any means).

Everett - the IBL team moved out for a reason. So, if you're...

...Kent, do you trust Tuckman? If anything, Kent probably hopes for the departure of the Sonics... but I doubt anyone else benefits basketball-wise from that.

S**ttle is a top-15 market that is NOT going to go for minor-league ball.

Vancouver will never see CBA IMO. CBA will get MAYBE one of three promised.

The Seattle region, in all reality, is one of the greatest mallrat front-running areas in all American sports. They've left the old Kingdome half-full (if that) and packed UW women's basketball games until team fortunes reversed. They'll follow UW Crew and junior hockey instead of CBA if the moment beckons. Most of all, area lawyers and courts are not at all generous about letting owners out of leases, meaning, say, it's a real risk for the current Sounders owner and friends to open up MLS in 2009 in Qwest Field.

Funny thing: out of the aforementioned markets, Yakima is the only place I'd put basketball right now.

mzracing76
Site Admin

Post by mzracing76 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:22 am

Omaha would be a very good fit for the NBDL. Omaha did manage to average 3500-4000 fans per game during their first run at pro basketball. The Omaha Racers coached by Mike Thibault (now in Connecticut, WNBA) had some great players in its hay day (Tim Legler, Sebastion O'Neal, Mark Wade). Omaha made the CBA Finals back to back years (1993 & 1994) beatin the Grand Rapids Hoops in '93.

Omaha would be a great fit for the NBDL for two reasons. They have Sioux Falls to the North to re-establish the I-29 rivalry they once had with the Skyforce, and they also would have the I-35 Rivalry withthe Des Moines team.

Sioux Falls vs Omaha were some interesting matchups back in its day, and the fans supported both teams. We would go down there on our road games, and the Omaha fans would have a bus load coming up here for their road games.

Yes, I have always said that Omaha would come back one day, after all, they still have a Link to the old Omaha Racers onthe internet explaining their situation of why they ceased operations.

Omaha would again average 3500 fans a game if they came back.

MZ

mzracing76
Site Admin

Post by mzracing76 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:28 am

Here is a link to the OMAHA website:

http://slam.home.radiks.net/newmain.html

MZ

#1 T-Birds Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 T-Birds Fan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:30 am

Seattle, Washington
Birmingham, Alabama
Tampa Bay, Florida
Tuscon/Scottsdale, Arizona
Omaha, Nebraska
Charleston, South Carolina
Ontario, Canada (yes I said, Canada)
Mexico City, Mexico :lol:
Farewell Coop....you made a great run.

Coach Cooper's gang- "2006 D-League Champs"

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:45 am

I'm a little shakey on Tampa Bay and Charlston.... nothing minor league major league or anything has really ever worked in Florida, until Shaq and Dwade the upper deck wasn't used in Miami and Orlando has been an up and down franchise for years.... And you can't put a team South Carolina because they wouldn't be close to anybody, no rival and a lot of travel isn't much fun.... I like Mexico City, elevation and passport visa type of stuff would be the only problems with that and I like Canada I would personally like to see 3-5 teams eventually in Canada..... I

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:59 am

Canada cities I would look at

Vancouver-- had the NBA didn't really work to well but I think would support a Dleague team well
Edmonton-- I believe they have minor league baseball
Winipeg-- has had baseball for years
Ottowa-- has the Senators

Mexico City-- would really see if they are ready for a pro franchise.

I still think the whole Washington/Oregon could really work but rumor has it Tuckman has bought the Great Falls CBA franchise so I don't know how much longer that area would work.... You get there first you control your own destiny but if the CBA goes there first and screws up you can't put a franchise in that city for 5 years and then still you are in a whole....

Rapid City would work great because its 6 hours from Sioux Falls, 6 Hours from Bismark, 6 hours from Colorado...

Sioux City I really think is a great market that is hidden they have had USHL hockey since it started and has worked great, indoor football has worked great, American Association baseball has worked great, and is and hour from sioux falls, not far from Des Moins would be a couple hours from Omaha... would sit close to quite a few franchises and has a newer arena.... I also think Casper would work because they have a good facility and is close to Colorado's franchise....

#1 T-Birds Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 T-Birds Fan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:52 pm

Rapid City I dont think has enough of a fan base. They have a population of like 35,ooo. I dont think thats enough.
Farewell Coop....you made a great run.

Coach Cooper's gang- "2006 D-League Champs"

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:22 pm

[quote=""#1 T-Birds Fan""]Rapid City I dont think has enough of a fan base. They have a population of like 35,ooo. I dont think thats enough.[/quote]

its over 60,000 and when they were in the CBA they killed averaged around 6,000 a game.... the problem with Rapid City is they have been scr*w*d by owner after owner, the first was the CBA owner (local guy) who moved the team after averaging 6,000 because he thought he got a better arena deal in florida, then they had team after team that did it cheaply then the NIFL disaster. It also has a well upkept 9,500 seat arena and is building a new 5,500 seat arena with skyboxes. Also have to remember its only college is a NAIA one so you don't have to bother with that.

also have to remind people that they announced that a minor league hockey team was coming to town and they already have sold over 1000 season tickets and the arena isn't going to be finished for another year. (alot of people complained with the league they brought in i think it was the CHL and most folks wanted the USHL)
Last edited by jjbballfan on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D-League”