CBA / NBDL Merger

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
mzracing76
Site Admin

Post by mzracing76 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:17 pm

What do you all think the NBDL should do to make up a roster per team? I think we should build our rosters like this.

NBA Teams:
15 Player Spots
....10 Active Player Spots
....2 Injured Reserve Spots
....3 Developement/Re-Assignment Spots

NBDL TEAMS:
12-Active Player Spots
....4 Spots Reserved for First Year Players
....2 Spots Reserved for 2nd & 3rd Year Players
....3 Spots reserved for 3rd & 5th Year Players
....2 spots for NBA Re-Assignment Players
....1 spot reserved for a Local Player from Highshool or College.

increasing the NBA Roster means the NBA teams can carry 3 players reserved for Development or Assignments

NBA should atleast have the Rookies play in the NBDL atleast 2 year deals.

I just thnk the NBDL teams should reserve the right to sign players on their own that have more than 3 years experience. we should be able to sign players with 5-10 years of experience if we choose.

MZ

ChumpDumper
Site Admin

Post by ChumpDumper » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:33 pm

I have seen no restriction on the amount of NBA experience a player can have if he signs directly with the D-League. Randy Livingston had what -- nine years of NBA experience when he played with the Stampede last season?

I don't think the available player pool will allow for such a roster makeup for every team, and there is way too much player movement during the season to maintain it.

abie10
Site Admin

Post by abie10 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:15 pm

i think the only restriction on playing experience in NBDL is for assignments from the nba

mzracing76
Site Admin

Post by mzracing76 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:23 am

Yes, Fort Wayne will be a very good market for the NBDL. they had a CBA team from 1992-1999. they were always near or at the top of the attendance standings.

I believe they lead teh CBA 2 times in the mid 90s in attendance averaging between 4,500-5500 fans a game.

Between Ft Wayne, Rapid City, Oklahoma City, and Sioux Falls, each of those teams dominated the attendance titles from 1990-1999. and to think, Jay Frye, who is one of the owners of the expansion Ft Wayne team, was the sole owner of the Fort Wayne Fury from 1994-1999. so atleast they have part of that first ownership intact.

another team from the old days (CBA) i like to see again would be the Grand Rapids Hoops team. I liked that team, and when they played in their original building, they sold out every home game (3500 fans a game). of course, that was a very small arena, but very neat for the players to play in a sold out arena.

MZ

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:33 pm

I think a way to grow the NBDL would be to make it so foreign players had to play a year in the NBDL before entering the draft.... have each team have 1 or 2 foreign prospects that would maintain draft status but play a style more like NBA play so NBA scouts can scout them in an enviroment that more suits the NBA's style of play

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:13 pm

Haven't checked this in awhile, but does anyone really think it'd make sense to actually combine the two leagues? I think they're going in opposite directions... Unless the D-League added it's selected elite CBA teams, like it did last year with the Wizards, Sioux Falls, and such, I don't think this is very feasible..

mzracing76
Site Admin

Post by mzracing76 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:07 pm

say what you want about the CBA, but atleast they can stand on their own, and they have 11 teams this year. both leagues have their problems.

the NBDL wlil stupid decisions as well. they will go to big markets (500,000 and above) which is stupid.

I want a league with Veteran players also.

CBA=AAA
NBDL=AA
ABA=A, perhaps even Rookie

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:07 pm

[quote=""mzracing76""]say what you want about the CBA, but atleast they can stand on their own, and they have 11 teams this year. both leagues have their problems.

the NBDL wlil stupid decisions as well. they will go to big markets (500,000 and above) which is stupid.

I want a league with Veteran players also.

CBA=AAA
NBDL=AA
ABA=A, perhaps even Rookie[/quote]

I always thought that the NBA should buy the CBA then geographically make a CBA as the veterans league.... no team connections but a NBA team could send a veteran 3+ years for a rehab stint in the CBA..... the NBDL would be for players 2 years removed from college.... or at least something like that.... the majority of the time the CBA would play CBA and so on but each team would play 3-6 inter league games.

I don't think that the NBA should buy the CBA simply to add cities to the map but more in a way to expand so that they could have 2 leagues right away....

If they want cities to expand to I have gave a list and I can keep them coming... there is so many cities they could expand to right away if they wanted to....

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:57 pm

I don't think that having the D-league as a 'AA' League would be financially reasonable, unless you're proposing that the NBA own all 4 leagues, which I guess could be possible.. I think if they went to the minor league system that they wouldn't necessarily need the age limit either. I do agree it would be nice to have some of the better vet's in the D-League, but I think the D-League does what it can to bring in talent that has a chance to make it back into the NBA. I didn't follow the CBA last year much, but I do know they didn't get anyone called up, and that's with them being able to sign veterans to contracts and everything. I think the problem is more that there aren't all that many vet's that still have a great chance to perform in the NBA if they're not already there. The vet's that do have a shot have D-League contracts or go overseas if they don't think they have a shot. Livingston, Corsley Edwards, Kevin Burleson, PJ Ramos, Troy Bell, Tony Bobbitt, BJ Elder, Eddie Robinson, Von Wafer, Andre Owens, Frank Williams, Brandon Armstrong, and Yuta Tabuse all were drafted in the D-League last year and all had some sort of NBA experience. Players signed during the season include Luke Schenscher and Luke Jackson as well. I don't know how much it's the D-League's fault that it's a young league, younger players just have a better shot at making the NBA.
Last edited by DakotaWiz on Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D-League”