so it wasn't just Daytona...But the whole league

The World Indoor Football League (WIFL) forum
shaolin
Site Admin

so it wasn't just Daytona...But the whole league

Post by shaolin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:56 am

I sent this e-mail to Zach Mcdonald yesterday and received a reply back this evening and posted them as quickly as I could. I appreciate Mr. Mcdonald's prompt response

1) Why did you leave the 'wifl' 1 year after starting it?

2) Is it true you didn't pay your coaching staff?

3) Is it true your team bus had no a/c and your team traveled on the day of a game and back home?

4) If 2 or 3 are true how do you expect to afford the 'af2'?

You owe the fans you created an explanation as to why we have no more team in Daytona.

'lionsroar' of wiflfan

Thanks for your prompt reply as we have been waiting for a good explanation

1. I am probably as disappointed as, or more so, than anyone. I invested a great deal of time, energy and finances into starting the league and helping to securing a fourth team for our league. I truly wanted to see it succeed. Shortly after our Championship game, one of the teams went to shop another league (team 1). Several weeks later yet another of the original four decided it was quits (team 2). I tried to reach team 1 without any success and came to the conclusion that they were probably gone as well. I called team 3 to inform the owner that I would be moving my team into the AF2. He was upset but agreed it was probably the thing to do as neither one of us could get anyone to talk or return calls and he would try the same. Sometime during all of this we came up with an expansion team that had signed a letter of intent. After discussing the expansion team’s position it was my opinion that we were in for an uphill battle and with only two of the original four still communicating the desire to build the WIFL seemed more like an exercise in futility. You see we had no other solid commitments nor did we have any on the horizon. Three teams at best was the reality. We announced first but left last. In retrospect, I believe team 1 was very wise in shopping for another league. Four teams is tough situation and to attract other teams did not seem to be happening. They have an owners group that collectively makes very good decisions.

2. Ask the coaches. They are all honest men of great integrity.

3. Our bus sleeps 24 and has a state room that holds five coaches. There are four a/c units on board. All the a/c units work fine. The problem was with the generator. It was a problem that plagued us the last four road games. Each time we left town the company that was working on the bus thought they had the problem resolved. After two road trips of off and on, off and on, I attached an external generator that was able to run three of the four a/c units for the last two games. The problem has been resolved and the external generator has been removed. We had one other problem with the boost but have fixed that as well. Because the bus sleeps 24 we did travel up and back the same day. We had three drivers to make the trip and the players slept most of the way up and most of the way back. And yes, we probably saved $7,000.00 in hotel bills for the season of which I was happy to do. And yes, it was uncomfortable at times. By the way, I drove every trip, up and back, this year and last year. I enjoyed every trip for what it was.

4. That would take too long to explain and I would rather show you. I'm sure you will be watching. By the way, we still have to be approved by the league.

I personally am satisfied with the product we delivered at show time league wide. All the teams did a fantastic job putting on a great show for our fans and besides 3 or 4 games, I don’t believe the excitement, intensity, and level of competition could have been greater. We should all thank Gary Tufford and Dan Ryan for their outstanding efforts and achievements throughout the year. We are working hard to move forward and I am excited to begin a new season
lionsroar

skick13
Site Admin

WIFL done

Post by skick13 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:24 am

I talked with a coach today who confirmed the league is done, out of the few teams he said that Columbus would probably end up in the AF2, and speaking with a coach from the AIFA he said that they were done expanding this year as they are trying to finalize a schedule. As a former player of the WIFL it is a shame that it is going this way.

chardale
Site Admin

Post by chardale » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:03 am

I told you,,,,,,,,, It is just a shame to see all the people who worked so hard to make this a go, have nothing to show for for the upcoming year. It seems that Leasure Spa was the first one to pull the plug and they had most of the financial backing. What a shame.

gonzo13
Site Admin

Post by gonzo13 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:56 am

He never answered the question about his coaches being paid. Why did he pass the buck on to the coaches by telling shaolin to ask them? A simple yes or NO would have done it.

They (Brad) told me I should just be a fan and let them worry about the running of the team. And from his point of view, it's easy for me to play armchair team owner, but from everybody else's point of view, we can see that this is a dumb move.

I haven't read on any messageboard where anybody has said " boy the AF2 would be a great move for the Thunder, sure to bring success in the long term. They'll probably sell 11,000 tickets to their first game." ....Wonder why? Maybe because any fool (let's face it, those of us that do follow this wreck are fools) that has observed this sport for longer than 5 minutes knows that the AF2 is where teams go to die.

I don't want to see the Thunder fail, or any team for that matter, it sucks for everyone involved. But I'm afraid that that's what's going to happen if indeed they attempt a jump to AF2.
Just when I thought I was out....They pull me back in.

shaolin
Site Admin

Post by shaolin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:11 pm

well I didn't believe that the 'AIFA' would even be invited back to the cities who just got rid of that(Tallahassee)(col.,aug.,'aifl'(same diff))

No, But I do believe the remaining will join a league for the '08 season and maybe even another team announced

-scenario- columbus, Augusta, Tallahassee join up with the 'uif' to create a 'southern division' for that league. In the mix would be a brand new team out of Macon to sure up a strong division.
(JUST A GUESS,STILL)

there also were most recent talks about 'Lakeland' jumping to the 'wifl'(Augusta paper) now the GM denied this move but never stated they were staying where they were at either

They could be the team to sure up a division,could be both cities, then of course it could all be hogwash

we'll see its gettin gritty
lionsroar

fred1965
Site Admin

Anyone notice wiflfan.com is down

Post by fred1965 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:33 pm

Folks, this ain't a coincidence ...

IndoorExpert
Site Admin

Post by IndoorExpert » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:49 pm

[quote=""shaolin""]well I didn't believe that the 'AIFA' would even be invited back to the cities who just got rid of that(Tallahassee)(col.,aug.,'aifl'(same diff))

No, But I do believe the remaining will join a league for the '08 season and maybe even another team announced

-scenario- columbus, Augusta, Tallahassee join up with the 'uif' to create a 'southern division' for that league. In the mix would be a brand new team out of Macon to sure up a strong division.
(JUST A GUESS,STILL)

there also were most recent talks about 'Lakeland' jumping to the 'wifl'(Augusta paper) now the GM denied this move but never stated they were staying where they were at either

They could be the team to sure up a division,could be both cities, then of course it could all be hogwash

we'll see its gettin gritty[/quote]

Right now, the UIF is not interested in moving that far south for 2008. I definitely hate to see a league that played all of their games shut down after just one season. Indoor football is getting to the point where it is going to be put on life support.

shaolin
Site Admin

Post by shaolin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:31 pm

[quote=""gonzo13""]He never answered the question about his coaches being paid. Why did he pass the buck on to the coaches by telling shaolin to ask them? A simple yes or NO would have done it.

They (Brad) told me I should just be a fan and let them worry about the running of the team. And from his point of view, it's easy for me to play armchair team owner, but from everybody else's point of view, we can see that this is a dumb move.

I haven't read on any messageboard where anybody has said " boy the AF2 would be a great move for the Thunder, sure to bring success in the long term. They'll probably sell 11,000 tickets to their first game." ....Wonder why? Maybe because any fool (let's face it, those of us that do follow this wreck are fools) that has observed this sport for longer than 5 minutes knows that the AF2 is where teams go to die.

I don't want to see the Thunder fail, or any team for that matter, it sucks for everyone involved. But I'm afraid that that's what's going to happen if indeed they attempt a jump to AF2.[/quote]

well Gonzo unconfirmed sources do tell me on a phone conversation that quote "he was trying to nickel and dime the coaches".

So my guess is yes he probably didn't pay them atleast the correct amount that was placed on the table at the beginning of the season.

Also I would absolutly hate it if these teams were not a part of another league! my gut feeling is yes they will but if the 'uif' is not interested then who?
PLEASE NO REPLY ABOUT 'AIFA'
not that i dislike them being around it's just that they've had their chance in these cities! not happening
lionsroar

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:01 pm

Columbus and Augusta have joined the AIFA. Press release now up at //www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3544386

shaolin
Site Admin

Post by shaolin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:25 pm

oh well atleast they're somewhere!

Here we go again.........wonder where they'll be next year :o

Columbus and Augusta I am ashamed really!

you jumped on the boat and apparently one of ya jumped off first.

so instead of helping out a situation you stumble back to the same league pretty much that you ran from.

where is Tallahasse? didn't mention them. Are they gone
lionsroar

Return to “WIFL”