What's the story in Baltimore?

The American Indoor Football (AIF) forum
Jamie
Site Admin

What's the story in Baltimore?

Post by Jamie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:56 pm

So, tell me if I've got this straight:

-- The Baltimore Blackbirds were one of the original teams signed up to play in the EIEIO Football League, but wisely jumped ship after the "Jamborflop".

-- They joined the AIFA (but weren't they only a "sorta" member of the league, not playing a full schedule? or do I have them mixed up with another team?)

-- Hired Chris Simpson as Head Coach

-- At the end of the season fired Simpson

-- A few days ago announced they were leaving the AIFA, and probably their venue, but don't know where they're going.

-- Today I see a press release that the AIFA has hired Chris Simpson as Head Coach of a yet to be named AIFA team, owned by M&M, to play in Baltimore.

So, what's the story? What's going on in Baltimore

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:25 pm

The AIFA still holds the lease rights to 1st Mariner Arena, and chose to maintain that right.

So, they're holding a name-the-team contest on the site.

The choices are Mariners or Steamers (think crabs). Mariners is leading by a landslide.
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

blanketman
Site Admin

Post by blanketman » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:16 pm

This league is becoming news central.I believe they can make it but m an m boys should be worried about keeping their existing teams happy.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:15 am

Simpson quit, I don't believe he was fired.

It looks like the Blackbirds were brought in as a way for M&M to make sure no one else gets the Baltimore market, and when they were no longer useful (though of course they have also had financial problems...like two-thirds of the AIFA), the league booted the team and started this one.

That's speculatory, but it certainly ties in with the facts that are out there.
What are you doing here?

Return to “AIF”