Pikesville

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
MathProf64
Site Admin

Welcome Coach

Post by MathProf64 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:27 am

Hey Coach,

Welcome to Pikeville. I wasn't aware there was more in the media this past week, as I was gone on vacation, but it's good to hear the word is getting out. I might even show up at the Expo Center for the press conference. I really am excited about the Miners.

Some asked about the Rifles. Yes, I was refering to the Kentucky Longrifles (shortened to Rifles their 2nd season, I believe.) The field itself is pretty good, but you're right, there wasn't much seating (not that we seemed to need it anyway). I think back in the 80s or 70s the Cubs had a Single-A team play there. The field was recently resurfaced with a real nice artifical turf. It's also used for high school and college football, but this is becoming a bit off topic.

I'll be interested in seeing how the new team interacts with the community. I might even be willing to help, time permiting.

_Howard

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:37 pm

You have to think that the Miners are heading in the right direction when the head coach gets on and shares a little bit about the team and where to get information. Hey Coach, I think I can get Arby's near Walmart to sponsor the team. I know the owners - I use to work there. I know quite a few more people, too, that will most probably want to sponsor the team (Rax always sponsored the Bears).

zeke41
Site Admin

Perfection of Pikeville market

Post by zeke41 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:51 pm

I think the Pikeville market is set up perfectly for minor league basketball. There's a hotel nearby - The Landmark Inn (probably a mile or so down the road), which also has a club (Mark II). I can see after parties there with the team. It would even be ideal to host the long-distance players playing for the Miners there, as there is a restaraunt called the Top of the Inn (I think) as well. My friend's family runs the place. They are good people. You talk about a business stimulator.

Heck - given the name of the team, you could probably get a hefty sponsorship from several coal mining affiliates. I cannot tell you how crazy Eastern Kentucky fans are about basketball. Even the high school games were mega-exciting. One ideal that I think would be awesome and create a huge buzz would be to try and nab up any of the 2001 Pikeville College team that went to the NAIA FInal Four (if they still play). That would be something special - especially since the whole county (almost the whole NAIA-followers in the whole state) were so supportive.

Man...I'm so excited about this team. I may need to fly in for the press conference July 19th!

Anyone know how the rest of the CBA is doing?
Last edited by zeke41 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling error

MathProf64
Site Admin

Hotels

Post by MathProf64 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:09 pm

Zeke,

I don't know when you left town (and I'm still trying to figure out if I knew you when you where here LOL), but there's a new Hampton Inn being built just across the street from the lower parking lot (right next to our parking garage, was that here while you were here?) It's easily within walking distance to the Expo Center.

I don't know much for sponsors. Central Appalachian Mining has offices downtown, and they put their name on Belfey High School's new football stadium; they might be intested. SouthEast telephone doesn't do any media advertising, but the do sponsor lots of community activities. Again, I don't have any insights to these, but since we're throwing names out, what are a few more.

_Howard

PS: Coach, I finally caught a clip on WYMT. Things sounding good.

gbahoops
Site Admin

Post by gbahoops » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:31 pm

what does everyone think about a springtime team there also

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:28 pm

I graduated in 2002 Howard, so it's been a while. Actually, my wife and I stopped in town on our way to Orlando in 2005. We moved from Michigan (THANK GOD) to Orlando for several reasons - she was looking for a law firm here in immigration law, I came to play for the Orlando Aces and also helped to start up a new church. The church didn't last, but I've definitely gotten a lot of experience in minor league basketball.

We saw the new parking garage and the Expo Center, which I think is beautiful. You could tell that the city was on its way to a brighter future. So many changes to the area. I'm not sure what the consensus is in the ciuty, but based on my experience, things started to change when Hal Smith came aboard as Pikeville College President. Shortly after PC had an influx of diversity, with several international students, African-Americans, etc. Before then, the city was predominantly caucasion with a limited amount of exterior cultural influence. Add that to several economic development initiatives, and you have a new, vibrant Pikeville, KY taking center stage in the Appalachian Mountains.

I'm totally excited about the growth of the city. Next thing will be to place either a Greyhound station, Amtrak or some sort of airport. The one, huge drawback of the city - automobile is pretty much the only way in or out right now. That needs to change, I think. That should be the next initiative.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:35 pm

[quote=""gbahoops""]what does everyone think about a springtime team there also[/quote]

I think a Spring team would do okay there - not as good as a winter team, being that by May, most of the college students head home for the summer. That would diminish a portion of possible fans. They do have summer classes, though, and the college is still mostly populated by local Eastern Kentucky folks, of him several are within a 1 hour driving radius.

One thing is certain - people there love basketball. I don't think they can get enough of it. I miss the dorm days when we would get the security guard to unlock the gym (him and I were pretty tight by the time I graduated) so we could play from like 12 midnight to sometimes 3 in the morning. Those were the good ole days! There's nothing like having an indoor full-court at your fingertips to train in. I didn't play much at Pikeville, but I would link my bball development directly to those night by myself shooting in the gym when everyone else was asleep!

PikevilleOT
Site Admin

Post by PikevilleOT » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:58 pm

[quote=""jwalters""]Guys I don't think you really understand Kentucky. Outside of the cities like Louisville, Lexington, Owensboro, Covington, etc. the people are poor and I mean dirt poor. The per capita income in the state is bolstered by the higher incomes earened in the bigger cities. People in Pikeville don't have the money for this. Folks in Owensboro do. The rent in Owensboro is about $1,200 per game with everything included. The Convention Center in Pikeville is an SMG managed facility. It will cost about as much to cover just their management fee as it will cost for everything in Owensboro. This is doomed to failure.[/quote]

While there is poverty for sure in eastern KY, there is just as much poverty in the rest of the state including Owensboro. Pikeville has more millionaires (remember we are in coal country) per population than any other area of the state. Your assessment that Owensboro people have more money than the people of Pikeville is wrong.

I will agree that minor league sports often results in failure as we've all seen it many, many times. I just found the thread a year later and as Pikeville prepares to start a second season I noticed Owensboro is regrouping in the latest ABA scandal with the "Mavericks/Jason Smith" fiasco. Someone seeking a job in promotions for the Mavericks would have to certainly be lacking in common sense as it was as you say "doomed to failure".

psbf
Site Admin

I hope

Post by psbf » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:37 pm

there's another season. I'd love to make good on a trip down to Pikeville and watch the X take on the Miners, and visit Minot for another road game. Not to mention seeing what is down there. It sounds exciting, what the Miners have done for that area.

Return to “CBA”