Pikesville

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
logoguru
Site Admin

Post by logoguru » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:36 pm

The competition is not from the education, believe me =)

I think high profile universities do offer competition....but if you have family affordable entertainment...... =P
________
Medical marijuana dispensaries empire.co
Last edited by logoguru on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

one way
Site Admin

dates

Post by one way » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:57 pm

All of this hinges on the arena lease and arena dates. Even the great Dakota Wizards were going to close up shop unless the arena worked out a more reasonable rent. That is why Grand Rapids is no longer playing. The Van Andel charged to much to play. Also, if you do not get some weekend nights, and try to make it on selling monday and wed games and sundays against the pro football team- you are doomed. I know Ken thinks that he know everything because Gary has been such a model francise, but it all depends on the rent and the dates. P.S. I still say Gary will be back in the CBA.

panchess
Site Admin

Grand Rapids might work..

Post by panchess » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:15 pm

..and Ken makes a good point, the local climate matters. You just can't look at a population chart and pick the largest places in minor league sports. That only works in Major League Baseball, which literally requires the 30 biggest markets in the country in order to survive (I know there are actually 25, but none of them are out of the 30's in market size).

Every other sport is a combination of population, management skill and "tradition," particularly in college sports where 80,000 to 100,000 people can attend a football game in small burgs like State College, PA, Auburn, AL or Gainesville, FL.

The "hotbed of college and high school sports" often doesn't carry over to the pros. When the National Lacrosse League started, they placed most of the teams in outdoor lacrosse hotbeds like Baltimore, Syracuse, Albany and so on. They all went broke because people weren't looking for an alternative to what they had.

Rochester and Buffalo succeeded, primarily because outdoor wasn't as big there. The indoor game succeeded on its own merit.

Occassionally it trickles to the CBA, but ABA and USBL teams thrive on the "we'll get good players from local schools and bring an audience with us." Even the Patroons tried that with Antoine Jordan and Craig Forth. It didn't work for them either.

jwalters
Site Admin

Post by jwalters » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:12 pm

Guys I don't think you really understand Kentucky. Outside of the cities like Louisville, Lexington, Owensboro, Covington, etc. the people are poor and I mean dirt poor. The per capita income in the state is bolstered by the higher incomes earened in the bigger cities. People in Pikeville don't have the money for this. Folks in Owensboro do. The rent in Owensboro is about $1,200 per game with everything included. The Convention Center in Pikeville is an SMG managed facility. It will cost about as much to cover just their management fee as it will cost for everything in Owensboro. This is doomed to failure.

psbf
Site Admin

Now I know

Post by psbf » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:52 pm

why I've never heard of Pikeville. I think the league should consider keeping the team in Miami, or finding a bigger city that can afford to support it.

jwalters
Site Admin

Post by jwalters » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:17 pm

[quote=""psbf""]why I've never heard of Pikeville. I think the league should consider keeping the team in Miami, or finding a bigger city that can afford to support it.[/quote]

Now you're talkin. How about Owensboro! Hurray! We had a Kitty League baseball team back when that league was around called the Oilers. Now we have a summer collegiate baseball team that uses that name. The CBA team could play on that theme. A name like the Owensboro Oil Slick doesn't sound too bad. Or move the Eastern KY Miners and just call them the Kentucky Miners.

Oh and keeping with the financial facts the Per Capita Income in Pike County is only $14,000. Yes you read that right. When you consider that if this team has only a $750,000 budget which would be the league low the team would have to average 2,500 fans at $10 per ticket just to break even. That is considering the possibility that they sell $100,000 in sponsorships and pay everyone in the organization the league minimum. Conclusion: It is not possible.
Last edited by jwalters on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:47 am

[quote=""sportsguy12""]You can't compare college and pro teams and the support they receive. The fact remains that the CBA was thriving in some areas before Isiaih came along and they were never the same after he left.

I guess summer basketball a la USBL is the better route - just ask fans in Delaware/Long Island, New Jersey and Jackson, MS. I guess that happened quicker than the fall of Rome.[/quote]

You are half right I think the CBA was thriving before Isiaih blew up the CBA but it would be hard to start up a franchise in those cities after they have been dormet for that many years..... Thats why I still push Rapid City... there is 2 NAIA colleges in the black hills and the one in Rapid isn't very good. The city is adding another arena and the exsiting arena though built in the 70's is as modern as a new arena with 4 big replay boards. that being said I don't think securing weekend dates would be much of a problem. Rapid city has 4 high schools in the area but south dakota plays very few basketball games on the weekends. The one problem with rapid is the communities attitude on minor league sports. they saw the Thrillers leave town after having league leading attedence they saw the Flying Aces owner leave town with unpaid bills and have seen other sports teams fail.

As far as Pikesville I have never heard of it Kentuckey bleeds College Hoops (UK, Louiville, Eastern Kentucky, Western Kentucky) I think you could put a CBA team in Bismark or Sioux Falls and even though both have dleague teams you could still probally drawl better then this community.

psbf
Site Admin

Those cities

Post by psbf » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:02 am

already have D-League teams. The Wizards call Bismark home and the Sky Force play in Sioux Falls.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:21 pm

That was my point that if you are going to put a CBA franchise in Pikesville or whatever that is you could just as well put one in Sioux Falls or Bismark...

logoguru
Site Admin

Post by logoguru » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:23 pm

[quote=""jjbballfan""]That was my point that if you are going to put a CBA franchise in Pikesville or whatever that is you could just as well put one in Sioux Falls or Bismark...[/quote]

How do you figure?
________
Paxil Lawsuit
Last edited by logoguru on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “CBA”