Pikesville

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:24 am

If a company wants to build in the CBA they should push franchises in old CBA cities that basketball worked in.... Rockford Illinois, Rapid City South Dakota, Quad Cities (IA, IL), Grand Rapids Michigan

Those cities all had franchises for 5 plus years I don't know how well financially they where I do know that Rapid City was either 1/2 attendence for multiple years.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:10 am

[quote=""jjbballfan""]If a company wants to build in the CBA they should push franchises in old CBA cities that basketball worked in.... Rockford Illinois, Rapid City South Dakota, Quad Cities (IA, IL), Grand Rapids Michigan

Those cities all had franchises for 5 plus years I don't know how well financially they where I do know that Rapid City was either 1/2 attendence for multiple years.[/quote]

Huh? The CBA worked in these cities?!? No, the CBA failed in these cities.

panchess,
Hammond will not lift a finger to attract minor league hoops and the people of Gary will not lift a finger to support minor league hoops if it ever comes to their neighbor, Hammond. Terre Haute has Indiana State University (Larry Bird's alma mater).

logoguru,
Your list of Indiana cities answers your own question about why interest in basketball doesn't transfer over to the CBA. Your list includes the homes of Indiana University, Purdue, Ball State, University of Evansville, Notre Dame, and the cities of Hammond/Gary border Chicago's major league market.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Norte Dame is actually spelled Notre Dame

psbf
Site Admin

I'm just curious

Post by psbf » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:23 am

Ken, why does it sound like you want the CBA to fail? Is it so that fans like myself don't have a team to support?

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:38 am

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Huh? The CBA worked in these cities?!? No, the CBA failed in these cities.

panchess,
Hammond will not lift a finger to attract minor league hoops and the people of Gary will not lift a finger to support minor league hoops if it ever comes to their neighbor, Hammond. Terre Haute has Indiana State University (Larry Bird's alma mater).

logoguru,
Your list of Indiana cities answers your own question about why interest in basketball doesn't transfer over to the CBA. Your list includes the homes of Indiana University, Purdue, Ball State, University of Evansville, Norte Dame, and the cities of Hammond/Gary border Chicago's major league market.[/quote]

I'm not shure about Grand Rapids and Quad Cities but Rapid City didn't fail there owner left after they led the league in attendence and Rockford failed after Isiah Thomas destroyed the league... I think these cities would work alil bit better then some of the cities today of the CBA but thats just my opinion as much as I would or anybody would like to say it the CBA isn't near as what it once was and the Dleague is alot better league now... i still think the CBA has a chance but honestly taking ABA franchises and going into subpar markets isn't the way to do it go to original CBA cities where franchises were active for 5 plus years and then maybe...

psbf
Site Admin

You had mentioned

Post by psbf » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:54 pm

past cities in South Dakota as being former CBA locations, fan. Don't forget that this area had a CBA team once before and the crowds grew. I was there to witness it. The owner of the Piranhas decided to fold them, despite their success in the playoffs(no real reason ever given). My point is that just because Pittsburgh is probably the largest city in the league does not mean we can't be a league mainstay.
But then, I don't know what the definition of a 'small city' is by those who say that they work better in this league.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Please don't ignore the obvious

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:42 pm

[quote=""jjbballfan""]I'm not shure about Grand Rapids and Quad Cities but Rapid City didn't fail there owner left after they led the league in attendence and Rockford failed after Isiah Thomas destroyed the league... I think these cities would work alil bit better then some of the cities today of the CBA but thats just my opinion as much as I would or anybody would like to say it the CBA isn't near as what it once was and the Dleague is alot better league now... i still think the CBA has a chance but honestly taking ABA franchises and going into subpar markets isn't the way to do it go to original CBA cities where franchises were active for 5 plus years and then maybe...[/quote]

Hmmmmmm. Pretty soon history will be rewritten and Isiah Thomas will be blamed for the fall of the Roman Empire. Rockford didn't want the Rockford Lightning anymore. They want the Rockford Ice Hogs hockey team and the money Ice Hog fans are capable of pumping into Rockford's downtown economy.

psbf,
The facts are indisputable. The CBA failed in those cities (for whatever reasons). Additionally, the Indiana cities I listed all have successful college basketball programs--come on now! You've heard of those schools and must agree that NO fall/winter minor league hoops team is going to survive in those towns.

sportsguy12
Site Admin

Apples and oranges

Post by sportsguy12 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:07 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Hmmmmmm. Pretty soon history will be rewritten and Isiah Thomas will be blamed for the fall of the Roman Empire. Rockford didn't want the Rockford Lightning anymore. They want the Rockford Ice Hogs hockey team and the money Ice Hog fans are capable of pumping into Rockford's downtown economy.

psbf,
The facts are indisputable. The CBA failed in those cities (for whatever reasons). Additionally, the Indiana cities I listed all have successful college basketball programs--come on now! You've heard of those schools and must agree that NO fall/winter minor league hoops team is going to survive in those towns.[/quote]

You can't compare college and pro teams and the support they receive. The fact remains that the CBA was thriving in some areas before Isiaih came along and they were never the same after he left.

I guess summer basketball a la USBL is the better route - just ask fans in Delaware/Long Island, New Jersey and Jackson, MS. I guess that happened quicker than the fall of Rome.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Oranges to oranges for sure

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:46 pm

[quote=""sportsguy12""]You can't compare college and pro teams and the support they receive. The fact remains that the CBA was thriving in some areas before Isiaih came along and they were never the same after he left.

I guess summer basketball a la USBL is the better route - just ask fans in Delaware/Long Island, New Jersey and Jackson, MS. I guess that happened quicker than the fall of Rome.[/quote]

Okay, don't take my word for it--but I'd like to see a minor league pro hoops team go head-to-head in South Bend with Notre Dame. Let's see who would win THAT battle for survival. :roll:

Actually, I think the retirements of Larry Bird and Michael Jordan had more to do with the collapse of those teams than anything Isiah Thomas could have done. The interest in pro basketball doesn't seem to be there anymore--especially since Mike left the scene. When was the last time you saw a basketball player hawking a non-basketball related product on national tv?

[quote=""sportsguy12""]...I guess summer basketball a la USBL is the better route - just ask fans in Delaware/Long Island, New Jersey and Jackson, MS. I guess that happened quicker than the fall of Rome.[/quote]

Not fair. There's no evidence those teams EVER had fans to ask. ;)

logoguru
Site Admin

Post by logoguru » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:17 pm

The Grand Rapids Hoops folded after the owner became ill and could not sell off the franchise. They were around for about 10 years under different names. Grand Rapids isnt really a failed city and I think the Flight of the IBL is doing okay (I have no clue actually).

I didnt know half of those Indiana towns had universities. I think the KY ones have major programs as well.
________
Effects of zoloft
Last edited by logoguru on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

psbf
Site Admin

Somewhere

Post by psbf » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:40 pm

in one of the threads, someone posted where Colleges and High Schools are too much competition for minor league sports. I'll give you proof of otherwise;
I've been to Xplosion games where they are getting the high schools to come to games and the schools actually ad life to the games, the cheer leaders help to boost by cheering on the X. So I don't want to hear see any posts that the pro teams don't stand a chance because of too much competition from our education systems.

Return to “CBA”