Titans might not finish season

The American Indoor Football (AIF) forum
PIONEERSFAN101
Site Admin

Titans might not finish season

Post by PIONEERSFAN101 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:47 am

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 002/SPORTS

You put over 4K in the stands for all home games and are still losing money like crazy. Ouch.

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:08 am

This is what is really going on at this level even though the number's look good the cost of playing in a building that size can kill a team as cities don't see the teams for what they are,yet they will roll out all kinds of gov. funding for those big league teams who don't really add value to a city.They just held hearing's in Washington on this very subject about cities building Convention Centers and Stadium's with the fake private funding scheme which is only funding in word's the gov. is really footing the bill. :mad: I hope they can make the season good luck Titans...

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:17 am

Maybe Internet TV cost more than we thought.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

ChampionOfSteel
Site Admin

Post by ChampionOfSteel » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:09 pm

I give those guys down there an A for effort.

Apparently, the team never had suitable funding capital from the get-go to cover their current balance sheet projections assuming pessimistic attendance levels?

I do know in the USFL the owner of the Chicago Blitz (second season) flatout walked away literally when no one called about getting season tickets during a "Putting on the Blitz (Ritz)" TV advertisement campaign. The remaining owners throughout the league subsidized the team. We know that from the book The $3 Dollar League. Perhaps in a similar way this also happened with the Titans?

Perhaps a significant Titan investor walked away that we don't hear being discussed in the online article. The balance sheet assumed that particular investor would stick it out regardless?
If you don't let the people with the money know you prefer the NIFL game system, you won't see any stable leagues copying the NIFL game system for your enjoyment!

Speak up!

Marshal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbIlQYR1Qs LAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:14 pm

[quote=""suge night""]This is what is really going on at this level even though the number's look good the cost of playing in a building that size can kill a team as cities don't see the teams for what they are,yet they will roll out all kinds of gov. funding for those big league teams who don't really add value to a city.They just held hearing's in Washington on this very subject about cities building Convention Centers and Stadium's with the fake private funding scheme which is only funding in word's the gov. is really footing the bill. :mad: I hope they can make the season good luck Titans...[/quote]

Florida State seems to fill that building sufficiently.

Question: how many concerts does that building draw?

I think that statement is an overreach... not so much because there aren't places where that isn't true, but because NO TWO SITUATIONS ARE THE SAME. Certain anti-tax people like to dramatize the problem amongst the 20% when there's 15% doing excellently, 40% doing alright, and another 25% that's great one year and crap the next.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:28 pm

I had heard that the arena rent in Tallahassee is relatively high, and that was a main reason it took this long for them to get another team. Can anyone confirm?

robertboyd
Site Admin

Post by robertboyd » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:59 pm

[quote=""preeths""]I had heard that the arena rent in Tallahassee is relatively high, and that was a main reason it took this long for them to get another team. Can anyone confirm?[/quote]
After talking to a few people that own teams, they basicly stated the same thing I first though, with 4700 tickets sold, and them not being able to make payroll, I would think its a safe bet that the rent would have to seem high.

With a 3 year lease though, I think the owners of the arena would have lots of incentive to help the team survive, but then a $75K deposit is pretty much unheard of in this industry.

Hoping the owner would convince the city to give some of that astronomical deposit back to allow them to operate or attendance picks up.

I thought I had a bad lease.. Jees
Last edited by robertboyd on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sykotyk
Site Admin

Post by Sykotyk » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:11 pm

$75k for a deposit (on three years) is twice what some teams will pay in rent over three years. That's a huge chunk of money to set aside from the start.

Sykotyk
Sykotyk's Super Trip - 10,473 miles, 48 states, 16 days

jwalters
Site Admin

Post by jwalters » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:12 am

Really the base rent in Tallahassee is not that high. The base rental is $4500 for most events in that arena. If the deposit was for the sum of the base rental agreement for three years or 24 games as it turns out that is just over $3,000 per game. The problem with rental fees is how much they pay for. In some venues the fee is a flat rate that pays for everything. Some fees pay for a few services but not others. The Titans are unfortunate enough to play in a venue where the base rental secures you only the structure. Just the field and stands. They have to pay for everything else. Think about security, spotlights, PA, ushers, cleanup, etc. in a facility of that size these fees get out of hand quickly. When you have to pay all that they are probably having to pay about $10,000 per game. By contrast Roberts Stadium in Evansville cost about $3500 with everything included. The AF2, EISL,and ECHL teams had the same trouble. I'm afraid it is just not financially possible to sustain a minor league franchise in Tallahassee.
Last edited by jwalters on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

big32
Site Admin

Again... blame the coach I guess...NO!! Its the league...

Post by big32 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:08 am

What do these guys running the league know about running a league?
They dont have a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another Andrew Haines.
Keep bring on teams guys that cant pay the players....
HEHE........

Return to “AIF”