Cba 2007-2008

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
panchess
Site Admin

Cba 2007-2008

Post by panchess » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:54 pm

It looks like the CBA is in significantly better shape going into this off-season than the last one.

Here is the recap:

Yakama: Presumptive champions and 2008 All-Star hosts. Assuming a lock to return.

Albany: Despite the Micheal Ray fiasco, the Patroons have announced they are returning for a third season. Solid franchise.

Minot: Signed Coach Daleo to a new two-year deal, and announced their return.

Butte: Announced their return.

Pittsburgh: Announced their return. Franchise improved substantially both on and off the court during the season, and looks to continue a high promotional schedule.

Great Falls: Presumed to be returning. Micheal Ray Richardson seems to have been in contact with the franchise about coaching.

Indiana: Open to question. I would not be surprised if the team does not return.

That leaves six definitely returning franchises and one questionable one. That is a lot different than last season, when two franchises returned, three (plus an expansion team) left for the D-League, another one left for the USBL and two teams folded.

Regarding new teams:

Apex 4: My guess is that this franchise will be activated and playing, either in Billings, MT or Rapid City, SD. If Great Falls can't get a lease, they will go to one of these places too.

Atlanta: Looks to be in, though you wonder how this is going to work given the current CBA geographic footprint. They do have a web site up and running, at least.

Vancouver: There was a press release, later deleted, that said this franchise would wait until 2010.

Miami: No word.

SoCal/LA Aftershock: The same. Trinity "is undergoing a complete renovation of their web site."

Other cities: No word. I wonder if Reno, now bypassed for a D-League franchise, might consider the CBA again.

Potential former ABA teams:

Rochester: The announcement of the PBL seemed a bit premature, particularly the rumored 16 teams. I still think there is a good chance this franchise ends up in the CBA or D-League.

Maryland: Same as Rochester.

Beijing: I wonder if the CBA would go after this franchise. They seem to have funding, and once applied for the D-League. If the CBA is serious about out-of-country expansion, this would be a nice franchise to have.

Vermont: Has court issues for a CBA or D-League franchise, but would make a nice addition to the CBA.

Jacksonville: Did pretty well in the ABA, and if Atlanta and Miami do join, could make a southern cluster of teams that could work.

Texas: Headed to the WBA. Probably not interested in leaving the ABA, unless the whole league disintegrates.

I can't think of another team that could make the jump from the ABA to the CBA/D-League. Maybe Arkansas, but it appeared they were on fumes at the end of the season.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:10 am

Vancuver is listed on the franchise list but it says WA so I'm assuming that its going to be right across the river from Portland? But there web-site isn't operational neither is Great Falls.

I assume that APEX will try to grab a few more midwest cities.. You stated Billings and Rapid City as possibilites.. Wouldn't be surprised if Cheyenne or Casper was also a possibility. Seems that they do a good job with management, I'm wondering if they arn't trying to get the D-league to take a look at them.

heavesrock
Site Admin

Post by heavesrock » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:15 am

since when is Montana and Wyoming midwest. Anyhow, good info panchess.
Vermont Frost Heaves fan site: http://freewebs.com/frostheavesfans

Frost Heaves Forum: http://frostheaves.proboards.com

panchess
Site Admin

Vancouver BC

Post by panchess » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:26 pm

is the proposed site for the Dragons. We'll see if they happen.

Montana and Wyoming aren't really Midwestern states, but that is one of those amorphous concepts. I had friends in Nebraska who hated it when Ohio and Michigan were described as Midwestern states. They thought that was the "Mideast."

I saw Joe Newman's idea for a 16-team all-Canadian league this weekend. Sounds interesting, though the CBA has a better footprint west of Quebec to take advantage of expansion. Winnipeg or Lethbridge are a lot closer to a whole division of CBA teams than the teams in the ABA, not to mention teams in BC.

Quebec east, it might work if the ABA forms a division like their Florida division this year, with the Maritime/Quebec teams playing each other for most of the games, occassionally going to Vermont or the Cape.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:33 am

[quote=""panchess""]is the proposed site for the Dragons. We'll see if they happen.

Montana and Wyoming aren't really Midwestern states, but that is one of those amorphous concepts. I had friends in Nebraska who hated it when Ohio and Michigan were described as Midwestern states. They thought that was the "Mideast."

I saw Joe Newman's idea for a 16-team all-Canadian league this weekend. Sounds interesting, though the CBA has a better footprint west of Quebec to take advantage of expansion. Winnipeg or Lethbridge are a lot closer to a whole division of CBA teams than the teams in the ABA, not to mention teams in BC.

Quebec east, it might work if the ABA forms a division like their Florida division this year, with the Maritime/Quebec teams playing each other for most of the games, occassionally going to Vermont or the Cape.[/quote]

Just by the by you are aware that "press release" was an April Fools joke about an all-Canadian ABA right?

From an interview with the new owners of the IBL's Edmonton and Saskatoon teams (though why he'd know is beyond me) the Vancouver team will not materialize in Vancouver and is slate for I believe Washington and he confirms Lethbridge's entry into the CBA. Does the fact that Edmonton, Saskatoon and Calgary have IBL teams have any bearing on whether the CBA would expand into those markets?

I'd kinda like to see those franchise become like the Albany Patroons and play in the CBA and the IBL (USBL in Albany's case). Thought it might create a small scheduling problem if the CBA team makes a playoff run (unless two seperate rosters were used) and the IBL wants them to play the same night, they could be scheduled to be in two places at once.

panchess
Site Admin

No I don't...

Post by panchess » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:59 pm

..but I am wondering whether the CBA works in "major league" cities in-season, like Edmonton or Calgary.

Lethbridge is surprisingly close to the Montana teams, and the city is significantly larger than Great Falls or Butte, so the CBA might work there.

Fells
Site Admin

Post by Fells » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:58 pm

[quote=""panchess""]It looks like the CBA is in significantly better shape going into this off-season than the last one.

Potential former ABA teams:

Rochester: The announcement of the PBL seemed a bit premature, particularly the rumored 16 teams. I still think there is a good chance this franchise ends up in the CBA or D-League.

Maryland: Same as Rochester.

Beijing: I wonder if the CBA would go after this franchise. They seem to have funding, and once applied for the D-League. If the CBA is serious about out-of-country expansion, this would be a nice franchise to have.

Vermont: Has court issues for a CBA or D-League franchise, but would make a nice addition to the CBA.

Jacksonville: Did pretty well in the ABA, and if Atlanta and Miami do join, could make a southern cluster of teams that could work.

Texas: Headed to the WBA. Probably not interested in leaving the ABA, unless the whole league disintegrates.

I can't think of another team that could make the jump from the ABA to the CBA/D-League. Maybe Arkansas, but it appeared they were on fumes at the end of the season.[/quote]

Trust me, Vermont will not go to the CBA. They would have to work out a deal with UVM to play there which is unlikely. The other option is Saint Michael's College in nearby Colchester, but that could be difficult with Saint Mike's basketball.

Maryland and Rochester could be interesting. Once I see something solid on the PBL, it will be easier to make judgement. The drawback for the PBL is a proposed 20 game schedule. For teams like Vermont and Rochester who draw very well, this could be a stumbling block.

I do like the idea of Vermont going to the CBA though. I like the league, and if Alex can secure a deal with Saint Mike's, I think they could come close to filling the place.
Last edited by Fells on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psbf
Site Admin

According to a recent article

Post by psbf » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:23 pm

that I read, Vermont is content to remain in the ABA to defend their title. So I would not look for them to return, either.
But I was glad to see that many of the CBA team websites are updated! But I don't know why Utah still has theirs up, unless they are waiting to find out what city they will be in next. I would hope to see Indiana back again, but Atlanta looks to be in, at this time. I eagerly await the coming season, to find out how many teams this league will have. I would like to see it at a dozen at least. I see where Great Falls is still in talks about their return(as of this post).

panchess
Site Admin

Great Falls will be back...

Post by panchess » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:09 pm

..though this kind of postering seems a bit much, I can't imagine you move the whole franchise over $10,000 or so. It would cost more than that to move.

New teams, I guess we'll see. Lethbridge is looking good based on other conversations, which is a pleasant surprise. It also looks like the Vancouver Dragons will materialize, either there or near Seattle in the city of Kent. These two franchises fit well into the western CBA footprint.

Atlanta? We'll see, but they have been active during the off-season at least. They definitely have footprint issues in the CBA, unless Miami and Jacksonville join too.

Haven't heard anything from LA or Socal. I think these teams will disappear.

Indiana. I hope they are back too, but we'll see. They are the one team I have my doubts about for next season.

What the CBA needs is some eastern teams to partner with Albany and Pittsburgh. Rochester and Maryland would be nice adds for the league.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:40 pm

Who knows what is going to happen these days. Everything is so cloak & dagger now. Nobody respects the other guys territory anymore. Therefore, owners have to wait until the last second to announce new teams (which hurts profits). I'm not sure what is a smoke screen and what is actual facts.
I read that Honolulu was getting a team which must be a smoke screen, but you never know.

Lethbridge is a very good idea, along with Butte, Great Falls and hopefully Billings in the near future a northwest cluster is almost set (with Yakama and the Tuckman Franchise). If the Montana teams can find a way to sell more tickets those teams should be able to turn a profit due to the fact that their travel cost will be greatly reduced. Minot seems to be on an island now and hopefully some more teams in the Great Plains will be added. It just seems like the ABA is more proactive in this regard. I just read that they are putting a team in Rochester, Minn. If the ABA moves into the great plains aggressively (and taking all the good markets) Minot's travel cost may doom that franchise.If a new league is formed in the northeast. Investors will be hard to come by in that area as well. Albany and Pittsburgh may be alone for the foreseeable future. Their travel cost will be high as well because most of the teams will be out west.
I'm not sure what will come of Trinity sports, i'd be surprised if any of the following ; L.A., Southern Cal, Miami or Atlanta ever played a game. The CBA is seemingly in good shape out west, however with all these new leagues poping-up all over the place The rest of the league (Minot, Anderson, Pittsburgh and Albany) continues to be in a sticky situation at best
Last edited by bectond on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “CBA”