Longest running indoor franchise

tony-o
Site Admin

Post by tony-o » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:23 pm

My mistake, the Bayou Beast jumped to the NIFL in their inaugural season, after the 2000 season. The Rangers also played in the NIFL in that inaugural season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Natio ... gue_season

EDIT: I did just see the Bayou Beast Wikipedia article. The Drillers could count as the longest existing franchsie depending on whether or not they get the Cleveland Browns/Nashville Kats treatment and whether or not the Bayou Beast moved or were just "replaced" by the Rangers(info from Mr. Habs website).
Last edited by tony-o on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sykotyk
Site Admin

Post by Sykotyk » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:10 am

From the way the indication of the Wikipedia page, are that the Bayou Beast were in existence in 1998 and 1999 in Baton Rouge, and moved to Alexandria, LA after those two seasons to become the Rangers. The 'new' Louisiana Bayou Beast were then established in 2000 in Monroe. So, it's not like the Browns or Kats where the team re-established a new team in the same city.

With that regard, I consider the Bakersfield Blitz all one team, rather than counting it as two seperates, with the first moving to Fresno to become the Central Valley Coyotes (after the original Fresno Frenzy folded), and the new Blitz expansion team. But I do consider the two Fresno teams (Frenzy and Coyotes) to be seperate entities.

The one was no different than Robert Irsay buying the LA Rams so he could then swap them with Carroll Rosenbloom, in exchange for the Baltimore Colts. Technically, the franchises were switched, one for the other. No money changed hands, etc.

But everybody continues the lineage of the Original Baltimore Colts, their departure, the Dallas Texans, and onto the new Baltimore Colts, who then were moved in 1984 to Indianapolis. They don't sidestep them and move the team to become the LA Rams, then to St. Louis. Just like the Cleveland Rams didn't move to LA, then swapped to Baltimore, and on to Indianapolis.

Sykotyk
Sykotyk's Super Trip - 10,473 miles, 48 states, 16 days

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:02 am

According to the 1999 IPFL media guide, the Bayou Beast played in Lafayette, LA.

Sykotyk
Site Admin

Post by Sykotyk » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:14 am

Well, I remember the PIFL/IPFL team being said to take part in Baton Rouge.

I'm having a hard time digging up anything concrete of where they actually played. I don't trust a media guide because that was put out before the season, so who knows if that was just a plan, or where their offices were.

Now, did that say they played in Lafayette in 1998? Or was that their home office? She's always based everything she's done out of Lafayette, LA. So a team in Monroe having offices in Lafayette wouldn't surprise me.

Did it happen to list what venue it was at, other than a town? Or a specific address?

Sykotyk

Sykotyk
Site Admin

Post by Sykotyk » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:18 am

http://www.labayoubeast.homestead.com/news.html

This is about as concrete as you can get, a fan site that detailed the situation with the team on a day-to-day basis.
2/12/00 - LATE BREAKING NEWS.... The Louisiana Bayou Beast IPFL football team will relocate to Alexandria, LA. as the Louisiana Rangers for the 2000 IPFL season.
Also has some info about them playing games at the Riverside Complex in Baton Rouge in 1999.

Sykotyk

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:44 pm

[quote=""Sykotyk""]http://www.labayoubeast.homestead.com/news.html

This is about as concrete as you can get, a fan site that detailed the situation with the team on a day-to-day basis.

Also has some info about them playing games at the Riverside Complex in Baton Rouge in 1999.

Sykotyk[/quote]

The 1999 IPFL postseason media guide has the Beast playing at the Riverside Complex. They have their home office listed in Lafayette, LA.

cRUSHer
Site Admin

Post by cRUSHer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:24 pm

...my AFL 2 cents :)
The Original 1987 AFL Washington Commandos(I saw`em)
moved to become the Detroit Drive in 1988(saw them too :( )
& went on to become the AFLs most successful early team.
Were sold and moved and became the Massachusetts Marauders
in the mid 90s went dormant and were purchased as a dormant
franchise moved to Grand Rapids and renamed the Rampage.

They are celebrating 10 yrs in Grand Rapids which
is an amazing feat for an AFL team.
What I actually said was "Go I F L" ! ! !

http://goifl.com

Sykotyk
Site Admin

Post by Sykotyk » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:17 am

Well, Tampa Bay Storm get the nod for longest, since they started in '87 as the Pittsburgh Gladiators before moving to the Thunderdome in St. Pete to become the Tampa Bay Storm.

Going through the history, any events of a year off or so, I overlooked, just because it was the 'longest running' franchise. If one had a year or two off, or were recreated, it'd basically be a new team, or at the very least, not 'running' during the seasons missed.

Sykotyk

NatePreds05
Site Admin

Post by NatePreds05 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:08 am

The Orlando Predators are the longest ever to not relocate or change their name. Going strong since 1991!!

Return to “Indoor/Arena Football”