My first AIFA game (Carolina defeats Huntington)

The American Indoor Football (AIF) forum
Pepster
Site Admin

My first AIFA game (Carolina defeats Huntington)

Post by Pepster » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:19 am

Tonight was my first AIFA game.

I paid for a $50 "VIP" ticket, which I think was on the front row of seats. I'm not sure, because the seats weren't marked (the section was marked, just not the seats) and no usher was to be found down there. I ended up standing along the dasher boards all evening and did okay despite my bad knee. Thank goodness I was wearing comfortable shoes. No one came by to see if I had a ticket. The seat supposedly included food & drink per the website, but I never noticed any wait staff, so I don't know how you were supposed to get the food & drink.

The game play was what I expected: sloppy. Lots of dropped passes. Botched handoffs. The final was 35-34 for Carolina, which came back from 15 points down as Huntington pretty much imploded in the fourth quarter. There was music in between plays and giveaways and dizzy bat, so that was all familiar. I will note that the single point on made field goals at the kickoff was odd to me. It takes guts to go for it, because if it's missed and goes out the back of the endzone, the ball comes out to the 20 for the receiving team.

I walked on the turf after the game. I noticed that the endzones are shorter than Arena Football and the yard markings were hard to see. The turf itself was soft (IMHO) but you could see a few gaps at the seams.

The merchandise was sparse. One customer had to wait as one of the two girls went to find change for the cash purchase. I wanted a t-shirt, but the only men's shirts were black and they had no size XL.

So would I go back? Absolutely as I still had a good time. The arena's 40 miles from my home, so that's why I didn't go to the first two Monday home games. I'm not good at attendance guesses, but I'll say around 1,000 in attendance, about what I expected.

If you have questions, post and I'll try to answer.

Pepster

Knightmare24
Site Admin

Post by Knightmare24 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:08 pm

If you are looking for a little better than average indoor football organization...well look no futher than the Fayetteville Guard, class act organization, state of the art arena(seating enforced),and of course better than average football team.

Pepster
Site Admin

Post by Pepster » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:30 pm

I went to a Cape Fear Wildcats game their final season and was surprised that the front row ticket holders could stand along the dashers. That means anyone that had tickets for the next 4 rows couldn't see a thing.

I have good intentions of catching a Guard game, but it would have to be an overnighter as they are over two hours away.

blueridge
Site Admin

give me a break

Post by blueridge » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:57 pm

I go to the game's quite a bit. and I live over 99 miles a way out toward asheville. I just want to give props to the Speed organization they worked
with our church group and set us up in great seats for all 36 of us. We had a
blast and the kids loved the autograph session after the game the players were very respectfull and polite. I guess if you look for stuff to complain about you will find it but what a horrible way to live. Go speed and GOD Bless

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:27 pm

[quote=""blueridge""]I guess if you look for stuff to complain about you will find it but what a horrible way to live.[/quote]

I don't think anyone was complaining. I saw some good constructive criticism. However, if you didn't end up sitting where you thought you were supposed to be, it doesn't hurt to ask. Waiting for someone to come up and point you in the right direction in a busy facility isn't usually going to happen unless you're blatantly in someone's way.

So, next time, instead of standing there all night on your bummed knee, go find someone and ask for help.

Pepster
Site Admin

Post by Pepster » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:06 pm

[quote=""blueridge""]I go to the game's quite a bit. and I live over 99 miles a way out toward asheville. I just want to give props to the Speed organization they worked
with our church group and set us up in great seats for all 36 of us. We had a
blast and the kids loved the autograph session after the game the players were very respectfull and polite. I guess if you look for stuff to complain about you will find it but what a horrible way to live. Go speed and GOD Bless[/quote]

Blueridge, I'm glad for you and your church group. I'd take the blessing if I thought it was sincere.

Pepster
Site Admin

Post by Pepster » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:12 pm

[quote=""phydeaux72""]I don't think anyone was complaining. I saw some good constructive criticism. However, if you didn't end up sitting where you thought you were supposed to be, it doesn't hurt to ask. Waiting for someone to come up and point you in the right direction in a busy facility isn't usually going to happen unless you're blatantly in someone's way.

So, next time, instead of standing there all night on your bummed knee, go find someone and ask for help.[/quote]

Phydeaux, all the chairs on that sideline are on the floor, not on risers. In front of you are everyone else standing plus the 4-foot dasher, so you're gonna stand anyway if you want to see. The AFL and af2 games I've been to have had those sideline seats on risers.

There were ushers in the stands, just not on that sideline that I could see. At least I know what I'm getting into, if I go back.

mrinsideto-u
Site Admin

Post by mrinsideto-u » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:41 am

Sounds like you had an OK time, the problem was that your team won because they dressed 29 players, must not have the whole team in GAME SHAPE but I guess that will come later. To bad the win does not count for cheating.

Pepster
Site Admin

Now I know what you're talking about...

Post by Pepster » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:07 pm

Well, Mr. Inside, now I know what you're rambling about. I just read the article, so now your post makes sense. Bummer, as it would have slapped the Heroes with another loss. No worries, as I'm sure the Heroes will have plenty more losses down the road.

Dressing 29 players?? Good grief, it should have been a forfeit loss for Carolina.

Pepster

Fez
Site Admin

Post by Fez » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:34 pm

Pepster- Thanks for the report. Many of us appreciate hearing how the games are as a fan, and of course how was the quality of play.
Subscribe to Dayton Pro Sports Daily News: http://paper.li/f-1313642591

Return to “AIF”