A league promise

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
FrozenUpHere
Site Admin

my thoughts

Post by FrozenUpHere » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:02 pm

I think there are a couple reasons why the game was moved, more so a combination of some things some of you touched on before.

I feel that this is a league that’s got a lot of pride and history, and it’s no secret that they have taken a hit and are at a low point. This is the signature event for the league. And I feel that having one of its flagship cities host the event puts up more of a positive spin. I understand it’s pretty disappointing for you X fans and it was good of the league to guarantee (maybe?) Pit for 09. And a sound business decision because I think Pits will have a stronger fan base by the time.

That’s my 2 cents.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:34 pm

[quote=""psbf""]I respect your thoughts, Sam, but we will have the All-Star game here in 09(if you read my previous post). [/quote]

So what's the problem, then?
I appreciate those who have expressed their support for us. For all the nay sayers, one season does not make a lifetime.
You've had two. You haven't drawn flies yet.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:42 pm

It's official now. The CBA has turned into the ABA (Newman era).
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:57 pm

Minor League teams don't do well in cities with major league teams... Pittsburgh has a baseball, football and hockey team (don't know how much longer for hockey)... I've looked at the d-league attendence and SF and Bismark are leading and if my geography and common knowledge doesn't put me down i belive they are the 2 smallest metro area's that have a d-league team. You need to put these teams where they make the news every night.. Where its, what are you doing tonight?? Im going to a CBA game or D-league game... Not im going to go watch the penguins play...

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:23 pm

[quote=""jjbballfan""]You need to put these teams...Where its, what are you doing tonight?? Im going to a CBA game or D-league game... Not im going to go watch the penguins play...[/quote]

Especially since Pitt might not have the Penguins much longer.

According to a news story, arena negotiations seem to have broken down, and Kansas City has a good chance of landing the team.

In case you're wondering, I don't know if the CBA would work in Kansas City either.
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

sportsguy12
Site Admin

It's a bit off topic

Post by sportsguy12 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:42 pm

[quote=""Minor League Man""]Especially since Pitt might not have the Penguins much longer.

According to a news story, arena negotiations seem to have broken down, and Kansas City has a good chance of landing the team.

In case you're wondering, I don't know if the CBA would work in Kansas City either.[/quote]

but the Kansas City Sizzlers didn't last long in the CBA.

Also, maybe the X asked to host the game in 2008. Let Jaren Jackson put a good team on the floor next year, build some excitement then host the game in 08.

What's the big deal? Since the X aren't making a stink, maybe they asked not to host the game.

panchess
Site Admin

Newman style?

Post by panchess » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:21 pm

That comparison is ridiculous.

Yeah, the CBA has had some hard times, but moving an All-Star Game almost a year in advance to the longest-running and most successful franchise in the league doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

It's a lot different than franchises that don't show up to games, fold and return later in the season, and the like.

psbf
Site Admin

I agree

Post by psbf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:30 pm

Frozenuphere, the Xplosion will improve their fan base with the momentum that they have currently if all stay healthy and this streak continues. Jackson knows what he is doing and is proving it.

Sportsguy12, the All-Star game was originally set to come here next season as part of an agreement(to my understanding of what I read in the paper) for our joining the league this year.

And it is a unusual for a league to switch All-Star sights(this is a first that I know of), as All-Star events are always a permanent event once set.
But I was told that this was the Xplosion's request so they can plan more events around the big event. When I first heard that Yakama was awarded, I did not know about it. To me, the bottom line is that we will have it and I look forward to when it comes.
As far as the Pens(somewhat different matter), I don't know if this is a ploy or if they are serious. But Mario insists he wants to keep the team here, so it may be a ploy. Time will tell, as will it's affect on the Xplosion.

panchess
Site Admin

A couple other notes...

Post by panchess » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:34 pm

.. I agree with the general sentiment that minor league teams don't do well in "major league" cities, unless there is a direct hook to the local big league team, like the Philadelphia Phantoms of the AHL, or the Brooklyn Cyclones (Mets) of the New York Penn League. They are the exception, though, and not the rule.

The D-League Lakers team didn't even bother to try and sell tickets. It is strictly a loss leader.

Broomfield, an suburban part of Denver (it's about 20 miles away), is doing OK despite a new arena and the former CBA commissioner running the show. Fort Worth, a suburb of Dallas, has the worst attendance in the D-League.

In the CBA, Pittsburgh is well below expectations, and I don't think anybody goes to the Alley Cats games in Anderson, IN, about 45 miles from Indianapolis. Clearly nobody gets less press coverage than the Alley Cats.

kg21obf
Site Admin

Pbsf

Post by kg21obf » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:01 am

I Love Your Enthusiasm For Your Team, But This League Is In Struggle City. Someone Called Yakima The Flagship City,which It Is For The Cba. If Anyone Has Ever Been Here, It Aint The Flagship For Much. (other Than Of Course The Worlds Best Apples And Pears)
Back To You Pb What Kind Of Attendance Has The X Been Drawing, (approximatly) Because They Have Never Posted An Attendance Figure. Can Anyone Share Some Attendance Figures For League.
I Can See Yakima Is Going Have 3000+ Avg With 2nd ,3rd Combining For Less.

Return to “CBA”