Springfield Stallions=Semi Pro, At Best

The Continental Indoor Football League (CIFL) forum
OutRAGEous
Site Admin

Springfield Stallions=Semi Pro, At Best

Post by OutRAGEous » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:02 pm

The Springfield Stallions are operating with a semi-pro mentality, at best. Take a look at their "training camp". No players helmets match and they are in an array of different uniforms, as well. Doesn't look much like a team to me.

The problem they have is that they are made up of semi-pro coaches, semi-pro players and semi-pro management. You would have thought that the coaches who had been with the Rage would have demanded a little more professionalism.

Also, players have been lied to and brought in under false pretenses. Two of the former Rage players who came in from New Mexico State were told they would have housing, meals, jobs and salary increases over last season. Now, the guys are headed out of town because the Stallions couldn't follow through on their promises.

I hope the wrestling matches draw the crowds because the football is going to be pretty bad. I stick with my prediction that they won't make the entire season.

creativelysain
Site Admin

Post by creativelysain » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Every team practices in "training camp" and "tryouts" with different helmets and jerseys. They don't make cuts until mid-March.

Good Lord.

The Abyss
Site Admin

Post by The Abyss » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Thats probably the reason the UIF let them move on by, we have rules in place so we don't have crap like that. My bandits practice in bandit gear.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:55 pm

That's why the UIF let great teams like Rapid City, Tupelo, and Peoria in. Springfield definitely isn't at their caliber. What a crock. The UIF has good teams, for sure, but the 'holier than thou' attitude has cost them as well.

The CIFL can offer salary increases over what the UIF *says* teams pay their players. Kudos for the Stallions not bothering to overpay guys who couldn't even win an NIFL conference title last year...

The ownership that contacted the UIF is not the same ownership that joined the CIFL. Completely different ownership.

ChampionOfSteel
Site Admin

is that normal?

Post by ChampionOfSteel » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:19 pm

Springfield now has their first game on April 7th.

Is that normal not to have a complete set of football uniforms available for their tryout camp players for practices, 4 1/2 weeks before the opener?
If you don't let the people with the money know you prefer the NIFL game system, you won't see any stable leagues copying the NIFL game system for your enjoyment!

Speak up!

Marshal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbIlQYR1Qs LAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!

creativelysain
Site Admin

Post by creativelysain » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:21 pm

Your Bandits may very well "practice" in "Bandit gear."

The Stallions aren't practicing yet. They are in training camp with about 40 guys. Who is gonna go out and buy equipment for guys that aren't going to be on the roster come gameday.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:28 pm

[quote=""exit322""]That's why the UIF let great teams like Rapid City, Tupelo, and Peoria in. Springfield definitely isn't at their caliber. What a crock. The UIF has good teams, for sure, but the 'holier than thou' attitude has cost them as well.

The CIFL can offer salary increases over what the UIF *says* teams pay their players. Kudos for the Stallions not bothering to overpay guys who couldn't even win an NIFL conference title last year...

The ownership that contacted the UIF is not the same ownership that joined the CIFL. Completely different ownership.[/quote]

EVERY minor league will have teams that fail. It's just the nature of the beast. Still, after the Dayton situation, UIF has played all its games. It was comfortable enough that the ownership of the aforementioned teams could at least see them through the season and meet league obligations that it let them in. Sure, it's made some errors, but not that many. It didn't have the same comfort level with Springfield's ownership, and as you pointed out, that group didn't even make it through the offseason! Sounds as if UIF was right on the money. From my perspective, the UIF does things professionally, though that doesn't mean perfectly. I hope that doesn't equate to "holier than thou" in the indoor football world. If so, we're due for a revival.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:37 pm

Not saying the UIF wasn't right on the money, as they were with the first one.

From all I've seen, the team's current ownership would be fine financially for the UIF. Simple as that. The league (and all leagues) made the right decision in not allowing the original team's ownership, as the money simply wasn't there.

The group that currently owns the team is the group that owned it when they joined the CIFL.

ChampionOfSteel
Site Admin

Post by ChampionOfSteel » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:50 pm

[quote=""preeths""]EVERY minor league will have teams that fail.[/quote]

If failure means teams fold during the offseason, I would agree.

Shutting down teams in the offseason (as opposed to during the season) is perfectly acceptable and should not be considered a failure.
If you don't let the people with the money know you prefer the NIFL game system, you won't see any stable leagues copying the NIFL game system for your enjoyment!

Speak up!

Marshal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbIlQYR1Qs LAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!

OutRAGEous
Site Admin

Semi-pro, Semi-pro, Semi-pro

Post by OutRAGEous » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:16 pm

The Rage never went to training camp or any other kind of practices where the players were not all wearing the same colored helmets and had the same practice attire on. That's part of being professional. The team furnishes the uniforms and equipment, not the players. You don't see NFL, AFL or AF2 teams with multicolored helmets and jerseys on. It goes with looking the part of a professional team and organization.

As to the Rage players that were lied to by the management who couldn't win an NIFL title. Let's see what Springfield can win, other than a semi-pro league. Funny too, that all those players who could not make the Rage are now playing for the Stallions: Quincy Roe, Kareem Wise, Robert Boyd, Johnny Cooper; Marc Howell, etc.

When the Stallions can go 24-7 in two seasons, then they can talk.

Also, they can promise any kind of salary they want. The problem is that they can't deliver on their promises.

Return to “CIFL”