Rapid City

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
jjbballfan
Site Admin

Rapid City

Post by jjbballfan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:21 am

With Rapid City's City Council approving to go ahead with the 24 million dollar 5,700 seat hockey/basketball arena equipted with press boxes; does this put the city any closer to getting a D-League basketball team. The arena will be part of the venue that currently has an 8500 seat arena.

RC had much success with the Thrillers before being moved to Tampa Bay later it had a number of IBA teams but none gained much success. Rapid City has had the support but never great ownership in minor league sports last season with indoor football they had there owner who was wanted by the feds for a number of reasons skip town with alot of debt.

On the same subject what kind of capital would it take for the NBA to grant a city like Rapid a team? and what expenses does the NBA pay the Parent team pay and the local ownership pay?

Im sorry if you get confused by this I just wanted to group all of it in one thread.

sportsguy12
Site Admin

Well, Sioux Falls got a team ...

Post by sportsguy12 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:34 pm

[quote=""jjbballfan""]With Rapid City's City Council approving to go ahead with the 24 million dollar 5,700 seat hockey/basketball arena equipted with press boxes; does this put the city any closer to getting a D-League basketball team. The arena will be part of the venue that currently has an 8500 seat arena.

RC had much success with the Thrillers before being moved to Tampa Bay later it had a number of IBA teams but none gained much success. Rapid City has had the support but never great ownership in minor league sports last season with indoor football they had there owner who was wanted by the feds for a number of reasons skip town with alot of debt.

On the same subject what kind of capital would it take for the NBA to grant a city like Rapid a team? and what expenses does the NBA pay the Parent team pay and the local ownership pay?

Im sorry if you get confused by this I just wanted to group all of it in one thread.[/quote]

isn't it comparable to RC? Based on their past successes with the Thrillers, I would say they be a candidate. Keep Joe and the ABA outta there, though. I don't understand the different venues. If they already have an 8,500 seat venue. Why do they need another one? I'm confused.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:50 pm

[quote=""sportsguy12""]isn't it comparable to RC? Based on their past successes with the Thrillers, I would say they be a candidate. Keep Joe and the ABA outta there, though. I don't understand the different venues. If they already have an 8,500 seat venue. Why do they need another one? I'm confused.[/quote]

Alot of people are confused over the situation and its not a popular situation throughout the community.
The current arena was built in 1977 is well kept but is not long enough for hockey, to renovate it for a hockey ring would cost 30+ million so they want to build a new arena (part of the same complex) for hockey they already have 3 ownership groups vying for a chance to place a franchise there.
The reason I mention it though is because in my little economy experience it would tell me that the exsiting arena (which is quite compareable to the one in sioux falls but alittle bit bigger and no curved roof.) would become second tear and it would cost less for a pernament tennent such as a nba d-league or cba team to play in, and was just wondering what people on here thought of the sitiation.

And if anybody knows what Bismark or Sioux Falls pays for their venue per night or season or how it works.

mzracing76
Site Admin

Rapid City

Post by mzracing76 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:08 am

I am in Sioux Falls, and a former Season Ticket Holder for the Skyforce (1993-1997). I do remember the Thrillers vs Skyforce rivalry. Probally the best rivalry in minor league basketball with all the fan support. I remember watching the fans attack Musselman here in Sioux Falls when they came here.

Flip Saunders vs Eric Mussleman in 1994-95 intesified the rivalry and it was sad to see the Thrillers move to West Palm Beach in 1996. Especially since the Sioux Falls Skyforce played them in the 1995-95 CBA National Conference Finals and we beat them in 5 games (3-2) in a classic buzzer beater. Would have been nice if that was the RC Thrillers, cause that would have been a big draw for the CBA.

The Dakota Wizards vs Skyforce is a great rivalry, but its not the same intense rivalry that the Skyforce/Thrillers was. those were the best of all time. RC/SFS was more like the Celtics vs Lakers of the 80's. Dakota just doesnt get me excited as our former in-state rivals did.

Bring On RAPID !!!

Return to “D-League”