Can someone else confirm this

The National Indoor Football League (NIFL) forum
fwp
Site Admin

Post by fwp » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:14 pm

preeths wrote:I've heard from a couple sources that the "playoff paperwork" might be a noncompete agreement. Someone in the league office is allegedly telling teams that if they don't sign a noncompete agreement for next season (i.e. they can't leave the NIFL next year for a different league), they can't play in the playoffs. This is secondhand info, but it might make some sense of this situation.
From what I've heard, pretty much everyone had refused to sign such an agreement.

So, how would one pick and choose who's in and who's not?

The only way there's an NIFL(legitmate) next year is if there's serious change. Lip service won't do it anymore.

yellowpages
Site Admin

Post by yellowpages » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:25 pm

preeths wrote:I've heard from a couple sources that the "playoff paperwork" might be a noncompete agreement. Someone in the league office is allegedly telling teams that if they don't sign a noncompete agreement for next season (i.e. they can't leave the NIFL next year for a different league), they can't play in the playoffs. This is secondhand info, but it might make some sense of this situation.

There is a lot of truth behind the non-compete issue. The NIFL also tried to force that at the owners meeting. I would think that is something that a team would be required to sign prior to getting a franchise.

The NIFL knew Osceola's venue situation well before the playoffs. It should have been resolved in a timely manner to allow the Cincinnati team to take care of things at home. I don't think the player's work situation would have been an issue had they been able to notify their employers properly. In regard to who should forfeit...that is a tough call that should not have come down the way it has.

In regard to Billings owing dues. The NIFL still owes them for losing the suit concerning the "Outlaws" name. I'd call that a wash at this point but, the NIFL has done crazier things this past season.

Former NFL RB, Cleveland Gary, will be the new Director of Football Ops for the NIFL. This move was done in hopes of getting the NFL Players Association to endorse the NIFL. The NIFL won't get it.

fwp
Site Admin

Post by fwp » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:27 pm

I was wondering if that was the same Cleveland Gary!

He has no idea what he's getting himself involved in.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:47 pm

Yellowpages, your post meshes nicely with a report I heard last week that a former NFL RB would join the league and basically become a figurehead to take some of the heat off the league office. Looks like he's on board already. Now the only question is if the league will use him as a scapegoat for this entire mess. How's that for your first public responsibility with the league?

Regarding a noncompete agreement, I wonder how one signed under such circumstances would hold up in court. They don't fare too well, anyway, and unless the NIFL is giving them something in exchange, is it really an enforceable contract?

yellowpages
Site Admin

Post by yellowpages » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:55 pm

Under the circumstances, the agreement won't hold up in court. Shiver has a poor winning percentage in court. Time for to find other legal counsel.

The best solution for the NIFL is to play the game between Osceola and Cincinnati. Let the rest of the playoffs play out this weekend and then have the winner of the Osceola/Cincinnati game play River City next weekend and delay the Conference finals for a week. By then, everything will be on track. It simply pushes the Championship back for a week.

That is the best solution I can think of.

I agree with FWP, Gary needs to get out now. There are better leagues to be involved in with that is what he is interested in doing.

ragefan
Site Admin

Post by ragefan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:55 pm

the rage camp is suppose to hear an anwser sometime after noon today on who is playing in the LOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

ragefan
Site Admin

Post by ragefan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:02 pm

Get Real... You can't change the playoff dates three days ahead of time.. What about all the time and money the rage has put into the first round of the playoff's???The Fans of the Rage would be pissed if they have tickets and no game to go to.

It is unfair to the Rage just because the other two teams and the NIFL can't figure out which end is up..

But the Rage is suppose to find out TODAY sometime after Noon as to who is playing.. I know ya we'll see.....

outlaw1
Site Admin

Here we go again......

Post by outlaw1 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:46 pm

I'm back....Been a while, but hey, there's really been nothing good to write, say, or compliment. Things seem to stink on both ends of the stick, but that's another story waiting to erupt. Either way, this seems to be yet another attack on the good ole' boys from Osceola. They had it last year (Kiss Kreatures/God rest their souls), and here we go again. Who in their right mind would blame the Osceola ownership for not committing to this league next year. Countless forfeits, name problems, and a total disregard for the players and staff of Osceola by the NIFL front office. Get real CS.....If their is a shred of dignity left, she would honor the game as it stood. A venue was located, and a date was set. Cudo's to the staff for finding one. Although it is a long way for Cinci, that's the price you pay for being a wild card. Hey, it happens. It boils down to Cinci committing to next year (CS smiles) and Osceola says hasta luego (CS frowns :( ) The sad part of it all is that most if not all players have lost interest. Would you have any after all of this? So I say, without a doubt in mind, go on Osceola. Move to a league that has some respect for class acts like yourselves. Much like our blessed hurricanes that pass through our beautiful state, come in, make some noise and do some damage, and leave the mess behind. (key..come in= enter league - damage=good record - mess = NIFL). Like the rock says, Do you smellllllllllll, what the AF2 is cookin!"

ps. congrats to cinci for sticking it out. They are a class act as well.....

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:52 pm

outlaw1 wrote:Get real CS.....If their is a shred of dignity left, she would honor the game as it stood. A venue was located, and a date was set. Cudo's to the staff for finding one. Although it is a long way for Cinci, that's the price you pay for being a wild card.
That's true as well. It's seems that some Cincinnati fans are trying to hold the Marshals blameless, but no one has explained why it took the team until Thursday(!) to find out the U.S. Bank Arena was unavailable. They essentially threw the ball back to Osceola, and within 24 hours that franchise was able to secure an alternative. Yes, it's rough if you have to leave some guys behind due to work commitments, but that's the price you pay for losing the home field not once, but twice - once on the field and then when it was offered to you.

outlaw1
Site Admin

reality

Post by outlaw1 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:00 pm

That's the truth. I'm more than sure the Osceola would have loved to stay home throughout the playoffs, but hey, they dropped a few easy ones and came up short in a couple nail biters. But, as they say on Broadway, the show must go on, and for the bus company, the gas card must be used. Chalk up some more frequent bus miles for Osceola......All aboard!!

Return to “NIFL”