PPFL and potential TV rating

super390
Site Admin

Post by super390 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Well gee, Fran, the only reason I come to your site every week is to get news about new leagues starting up. I don't really give a damn about minor league baseball or hockey. But if I did, I would expect those established leagues to take care of their own web presence.

LordBy2014
Site Admin

a response . . .

Post by LordBy2014 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Fran
"There is no way to make money with any alternative football league, the UFL lost tons of money and didn't pay people who they owed money to. I don't get what the obsession is with every league that pops up and wants to to play.

The FXFL was a disaster."

I think an alternative football league could succeed and make money - just not in the short term - too many upfront costs associated with getting a league off the ground to make the money back right away (as the UFL found out).

But with the right investment mindset and plenty of patience, an alternative football league could work . . . slow and steady would have to be the rule . . . will be interesting to see if any of these newly proposed leagues have that kind of mindset in regards to their leadership/investors . . .

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Good points but the groups have to be have lots of money for at least 4-5 seasons, because the longer it lasts more fans will support it.

What Major League Football did drafting players and giving players false hope of having their dream to play professional football and not having investors was sad.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:43 pm

Minor league football was viable and had a presence —*from about 1915 to the late 1920s. It was killed off for two reasons — the depression and the fledgling NFL. Every attempt since them has failed.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:41 am

[quote=""super390""]Well gee, Fran, the only reason I come to your site every week is to get news about new leagues starting up. I don't really give a damn about minor league baseball or hockey. But if I did, I would expect those established leagues to take care of their own web presence.[/quote]

I've brought this up many times - a website for minor/alt league football shouldn't poo poo any hope of one.

Not trying to bash anyone just saying to entertain ideas and posters to attract web activity

4th

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:42 am

[quote=""LordBy2014""]Fran
"There is no way to make money with any alternative football league, the UFL lost tons of money and didn't pay people who they owed money to. I don't get what the obsession is with every league that pops up and wants to to play.

The FXFL was a disaster."

I think an alternative football league could succeed and make money - just not in the short term - too many upfront costs associated with getting a league off the ground to make the money back right away (as the UFL found out).

But with the right investment mindset and plenty of patience, an alternative football league could work . . . slow and steady would have to be the rule . . . will be interesting to see if any of these newly proposed leagues have that kind of mindset in regards to their leadership/investors . . .[/quote]

Agreed Lord - stability breeds confidence in fans, media and the organization.

4th

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:43 am

[quote=""nksports""]Minor league football was viable and had a presence —*from about 1915 to the late 1920s. It was killed off for two reasons — the depression and the fledgling NFL. Every attempt since them has failed.[/quote]

Times change. some of these leagues lasted for quite a while. Also Alt leagues like the AAFC and AFL DID succeed.

4th

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:56 am

[quote=""4th&long""]I've brought this up many times - a website for minor/alt league football shouldn't poo poo any hope of one.

Not trying to bash anyone just saying to entertain ideas and posters to attract web activity

4th[/quote]

Blind faith and the ignorance of history won't help anyone.

It has been fairly well established that there is no market for "alternative" football. We don't have football fans in America - we have NFL fans and NCAA fans. I don't know that we'll ever change that, no matter how many entrepreneurs try to dive into a perceived vacuum.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:00 am

[quote=""robster2001""]Blind faith and the ignorance of history won't help anyone.

It has been fairly well established that there is no market for "alternative" football. We don't have football fans in America - we have NFL fans and NCAA fans. I don't know that we'll ever change that, no matter how many entrepreneurs try to dive into a perceived vacuum.[/quote]

I'm not buying any of that, USFL and even UFL (and XFL) showed that fans will show up in large numbers for good FB.

The NFL was around in NY with the Giants, Jets came in and found a fan base just like the USFL Generals

4th

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:22 am

[quote=""4th&long""]I've brought this up many times - a website for minor/alt league football shouldn't poo poo any hope of one.[/quote]

A group of people who've witnessed one heck of a lot of things shouldn't deny that such things have happened. EVER. Especially now.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Return to “General Football”