2015 Season - Where to Expand???

The Professional Indoor Football League (PIFL) forum
VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

2015 Season - Where to Expand???

Post by VinnyTheViper » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:25 pm

What would you like to see in terms of expansion for the 2015 season? I believe that the PIFL is likely to settle on either 10 or 12 teams for next season which would be an increase of 2 to 4 teams over the current number of 8 teams. Here is a list of potential cities that I think makes some degree of sense for consideration for the 2015 season:

Albany, Georgia - Former PIFL city
Atlanta, Georgia - Defunct AIF city
Baltimore, Maryland - Existing AIF city, defection possible?
Birmingham, Alabama - Existing X League city, defection possible?
Charlotte, North Carolina - Former PIFL city
Chattanooga, Tennessee - No current team
Columbia, South Carolina - No current team
Erie, Pennsylvania - Existing CIFL city, defection possible?
Fayetteville, North Carolina - Existing AIF city, defection possible?
Hampton Roads, Virginia - No current team
Hempstead, New York - No current team
Knoxville, Tennessee - Dormant PIFL city for 2014
Little Rock, Arkansas - No current team
Louisville, Kentuicky - Defunct X League city, new ownership?
Memphis, Tennessee - No current team
Reading, Pennsylvania - Former IFL city
Rochester, New York - Existing AIF city, defection possible?
Shreveport, Louisiana - No current team

Comments?
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:34 am

Hampton Roads/Tide Water VA out of the question you think?

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:59 pm

Thinking of Erie and the PIFL. It could be a good fit. I certainly believe Erie's level of play would be on par with any team in the PIFL. There att is around a solid 3,000. They have a great reputation amid the players and have never missed a payroll. There is local ownership and the team office is open and fully staffed 52wks a year.
Moving to the PIFL would necessitate an increase in the travel budget.
I may be wrong here and I hope someone would correct me, but as I understand it, there is a $100K entrance fee to the PIFL.
Seems a bit steep.
I am of the opinion that Erie is quite happy with the CIFL (at least for now)
bec they've announced a return in 2015 to the CIFL.
But that season is still 6mos off and with the turmoil in the league things could change.
Dayton, Port Huron, Louisville, Lexington, Detroit & Chicago either gone or in trouble. That's 6 of last year's 10 starting teams.
That leaves Erie, Saginaw, Marion,Oh and Highland (No) Ky.
4's a little tight they need at least 2 more that can hold out for the entire season.
If things do not solidify in the next couple mos, then maybe Erie comes
a knocking.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:09 pm

[quote=""coachingubigr""]Hampton Roads/Tide Water VA out of the question you think?[/quote]

Good catch, forgot that one, I will add it to the list.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:33 pm

I agree with you DFWCC on both accounts, I think that Erie would be a good fit for the PIFL, but I also think that Erie is happy where they currently are and look for them to stay in the CIFL for the immediate future.

On the subject of the PIFL entrance requirements, I can not speak to the $100,000 number specifically, I am not aware of the specific number, that said, the $100,000 figure at least seems plausible. I do know that the PIFL has fees associated with it that are substantial enough in order to keep the fly by night scenarios weeded out. The league did not and does not want situations like Detroit, Lexington, Louisville occuring where anybody with $50,000 can begin a season and then default half way through the season when the owner's money ran out. Sometimes you get what you pay for, make the entrance requirements too low and you get a lot of riff raff in the ranks. The PIFL has only had one instance where any default occurred during the season, that was Louisiana. The PIFL's entrance requirements at the time only applied to new applicants to the league, even though there was new ownership at Louisiana, the team was still grandfathered in as an original member of the league, then the new ownership defaulted with 4 games left in the season, and the league got toasted a little. I believe the policy has since been changed slightly to correct for this oversight.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:54 pm

I guess when I look at the potential list, I would like to see Reading and Hampton Roads added to the existing for teams in the north. And for the south, I would first like to see Rome disappear, just not enough support demonstrated at that location last season. I would like to see Louisville, Birmingham, and either Memphis or Little Rock added to the other three in the south.

Androo402
Site Admin

Post by Androo402 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:10 pm

Albany, Georgia - Former PIFL city Albany could work...huge attendance before, but it'd have to be under a healthier business relationship. The whole ordeal between team ownership and arena needs to be resolved.

Atlanta, Georgia - Defunct AIF city I think ATL or Gwinnett would be perfect, I mean...we have Nashville.

Baltimore, Maryland - Existing AIF city, defection possible? Don't know much about Baltimore...but travel-wise it's smart for the northern cities.

Birmingham, Alabama - Existing X League city, defection possible? I actually think this would be a great idea...so long as it's done correctly. I'm worried about it only because B-ham is notorious for watching TV and not going out to games. BUT the Barons (MiLB) have the highest attendance in the southern league, thanks to a new stadium maybe it'll be a contagious type of thing.

Charlotte, North Carolina - Former PIFL city Charlotte is a big-time growing city, healthy economy. Plus there is an ESPN office there...right? Makes good sense.

Columbia, South Carolina - No current team I actually think Charleston, SC would be a better choice. It's a city on the rise and it's growing. Plus I think population is bigger.

Erie, Pennsylvania - Existing CIFL city, defection possible? Just a casual fan, not an expert...but I would worry about oversaturation of the Penn market...from a sports fan's perspective, this would be awesome 3-way rivalry.

Fayetteville, North Carolina - Existing AIF city, defection possible? This too would be a good idea, being that Fort Brag is nearby. Many cities in the PIFL are near installations...this is a partnership waiting to happen. the PIFL needs to look at getting that together with the Army or something. They already host a high school all-star type game...think of the exposure for the PIFL. noice.

Hempstead, New York - No current team Not familiar with this city. Is it near NYC?

Knoxville, Tennessee - Dormant PIFL city for 2014 I like, I like. Huntsville and Knoxville already have a rivalry in hockey (SPHL)

Little Rock, Arkansas - No current team Don't now much about the sports world in Little Rock other than U of Arkansas

Louisville, Kentuicky - Defunct X League city, new ownership? I think this would be a good call, being that there are 3 Fortune 500 companies in the city. There are plenty of opportunities for high level sponsorships...I wonder what affect the suspension of the Xtreme would of have attendance.

Memphis, Tennessee - No current team Apparently the USFL is trying to make a comeback...they wanna bring back the Showboats; I dunno though

Reading, Pennsylvania - Former IFL city Another Pennsylvania team? Why not even out the rivalries? :p

Rochester, New York - Existing AIF city, defection possible? Having a background of an indoor football team might be good...but there are already something like 8 or 9 minor league sports in the city. Dunno about that, lots of competition.

Shreveport, Louisiana - No current team Minor league teams have no had luck in Shreveport lately...also, it is REALLY far away from a lot of teams, maybe a future expansion team when/if the league goes to 16 or something.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:36 pm

To clarify about Hempstead, NY, that would be the Nassau County Coliseum, essentially Long Island, NY metro area, just outside NYC.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:36 pm

Androo402 said
Erie, Pennsylvania - Existing CIFL city, defection possible? Just a casual fan, not an expert...but I would worry about oversaturation of the Penn market...from a sports fan's perspective, this would be awesome 3-way rivalry.

This could work. With H-burg, L-Valley, and Trenton all within about 7-8hrs.
Richmond comes in at @ 9hrs. Kick in Roc NY (3.5hrs) and Reading Pa maybe a 6hr ride. There enough for a NoEast Div

DCAbloob
Site Admin

Post by DCAbloob » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:29 am

The one concern I'd have about Reading, PA is that the PIFL would have four teams in the relatively small area of southeastern & east central PA and central NJ. Saturation could be an issue. Erie's far enough away in the northwestern corner of the state to avoid that concern if the Explosion have a change of heart.

Return to “PIFL”