Fate of Albany Panthers remains uncertain

The Professional Indoor Football League (PIFL) forum
4th&long
Site Admin

Fate of Albany Panthers remains uncertain

Post by 4th&long » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:00 am

More news...

http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2014/f ... uncertain/

Panthers officials, who announced two weeks ago that they needed an additional $100,000 in funding to avoid canceling the 2014 season, canceled a press conference Monday afternoon and instead sent an email to local media saying that they are “finalizing a potential solution which would allow the team to play in 2014 and beyond.”

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:03 pm

What is next in the myriad of mistruths and deceit to come out of Albany??? “Finalizing a potential solution", what does that mean, that Albany amazingly won the Georgia lottery?
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nksports
Site Admin

Their fate is now certain

Post by nksports » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:37 am

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:40 pm

None of this is surprising, this was the expected outcome to this debacle, $400,000 in supposed sponsor dollars all the way down to I can not or will not pay my lease of $12,000 plus incentives, very sad for a once proud franchise. I never bought any of the numbers coming out of Albany from the get go, they simply do not add up or fit together. There has to be a whole lot more to this story than meets the eye, there were indications as far back as October that something might be up, when the team was rumored to be considering a move to Atlanta. Looks like to me that the arena finally called the team's bluff. Now the PIFL has to pick the pieces up and make something out of the 2014 season.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:57 pm

Matt Hester and Jeff Gonos have a long week ahead of them.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 pm

I would expect some sort of official league announcement today out of Nashville as to the path forward, this is not going to be easy with a team folding this late in the game, it will have major impacts to the schedule, there are 8 National Conference games and 4 American Conference games that will be affected. It may be that the National Conference teams have to go up to playing each other three times each and the remaining American Conference teams will play each other 4 times each in order to keep travel costs at a minimum.

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:46 pm

League is taking over Albany and moving team to Rome, GA. Schedules for the other seven teams un changed. Feel bad for Albany fans and players.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:07 pm

This must be the outcome of last night's ownership meeting, however, it comes at great expense to the other owners, and it likely does nothing for future league growth. I would rather see the team moved to a location/arena where the league might expand to in the coming seasons, but in reality, the league has to do what it has to do. Albany actually had looked into moving to Atlanta in the off-season, of course, in hind sight, I am not sure that much of what Albany wanted to accomplish could be taken seriously.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:47 pm

[quote=""VinnyTheViper""]This must be the outcome of last night's ownership meeting, however, it comes at great expense to the other owners, and it likely does nothing for future league growth. I would rather see the team moved to a location/arena where the league might expand to in the coming seasons, but in reality, the league has to do what it has to do. Albany actually had looked into moving to Atlanta in the off-season, of course, in hind sight, I am not sure that much of what Albany wanted to accomplish could be taken seriously.[/quote]

When i heard trenton was joining the league i took a quick look at the teams and metro area sizes to see if there were any red flags

Two cities stood out, Albany was one of them. Its simply to small to have the business and population to support a team that only has 6 home games to make their money.

Unfortunate because it came so late. Lets hope that this does not carry over into other cities. But this was needed.

Lets see how fast the PIFL adjust their schedule and gets this behind them

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:50 pm

[quote=""coachingubigr""]League is taking over Albany and moving team to Rome, GA. Schedules for the other seven teams un changed. Feel bad for Albany fans and players.[/quote]

That's strange but not surprising given the late news and schedule all ready
And its extra expensive

What is your source?

Return to “PIFL”