NY Wolves- are they in or out?

The American Indoor Football (AIF) forum
SugarBear
Site Admin

NY Wolves- are they in or out?

Post by SugarBear » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:35 am

Ok I shouldn't expect anything being we are talking AIF but are the NY Wolves in the AIF or not. All articles from the AIF of them coming to the league are no longer on their website and they are not listed in the teams listing any longer. They were there at one point. After the whole Moorestown Saints fiasco you would think some due diligence is being done but I guess in a bootleg league you get what you get. Again I feel bad for the players because they held a tryout recently and charged for it. Just unreal it seems like players got the raw deal again. Can anyone provide any info? Thanks

NTE
Site Admin

Post by NTE » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:37 pm

[quote=""SugarBear""]Ok I shouldn't expect anything being we are talking AIF but are the NY Wolves in the AIF or not. All articles from the AIF of them coming to the league are no longer on their website and they are not listed in the teams listing any longer. They were there at one point. After the whole Moorestown Saints fiasco you would think some due diligence is being done but I guess in a bootleg league you get what you get. Again I feel bad for the players because they held a tryout recently and charged for it. Just unreal it seems like players got the raw deal again. Can anyone provide any info? Thanks[/quote]

Honestly, could care less about these "players". Are they that dumb that they don't realize this is a glorified rec league? So you pay $100 for the right to make maybe $2-3K for the year if you're lucky? Hopefully they don't think they can make a living off of this?

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:12 pm

[quote=""NTE""]Honestly, could care less about these "players". Are they that dumb that they don't realize this is a glorified rec league? So you pay $100 for the right to make maybe $2-3K for the year if you're lucky? Hopefully they don't think they can make a living off of this?[/quote]

Do you punch babies and kick puppies? Man you are cold hearted.

DCAbloob
Site Admin

Post by DCAbloob » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:38 am

[quote=""SugarBear""]Ok I shouldn't expect anything being we are talking AIF but are the NY Wolves in the AIF or not. All articles from the AIF of them coming to the league are no longer on their website and they are not listed in the teams listing any longer. They were there at one point. After the whole Moorestown Saints fiasco you would think some due diligence is being done but I guess in a bootleg league you get what you get. Again I feel bad for the players because they held a tryout recently and charged for it. Just unreal it seems like players got the raw deal again. Can anyone provide any info? Thanks[/quote]

The New York Wolves are apparently out along with the Washington Eagles and Chicago Assassins. The AIF reportedly plans to run six full teams (Atlanta, Baltimore, Cape Fear, Cleveland, Rochester & York) with added exhibition games vs a travel team.

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2013/12 ... =fo.sports

SugarBear
Site Admin

Post by SugarBear » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:01 am

I have to agree with you in regards to the money issue, if any player thinks they will earn a true "living" in any indoor league or even in the AFL (which only pays $800/game) they are sadly mistaken.

However, being duped by fly by night teams, ain't cool either.

Sure players should do their research. However, you have to remember a lot of guys coming out of school are young and don't even know half of the indoor leagues there are - there's about 7 or 8 now. They are preached to about these "great opportunites". Happens with the outdoor game too....look at UFL, NSFL and the new USFL. And let's not forget these fly by night "sports agents" that represent some of these guys. They're looking to build clientle and clout as an agent and they set up some guys tryouts.

However, most of the guys are playing in these leagues as a vehicle to get film for scouts. Very rarely will anyone get a real NFL workout but it has happened, so you can't say never. Usually, the film is for CFL scouts. If a player is fortunate to land a contract in the CFL, they can live on that. But it's sad that fake teams (cash grabbers, haha) will take money but more importantly time from a potential player, that could focus on landing with a legitimate organization.

Teams like this also blemish the good organizations in the indoor community. Sadly, most indoor leagues and teams are blanketed under the same umbrella to the casual sports fan. They can't tell you one league or the next, including the AFL. But there are some leagues making strides to point the indoor game in the right direction - just sad when another team comes in with false promises.

Alhammer
Site Admin

shocked

Post by Alhammer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:56 am

Wow.... chicago, ny, and washington......

Really, why oh why wont these arenas and people ever do any research. It gives indoor football such a black eye.

Glad there is not a x league forum......atl might be the next topic

firehawk5
Site Admin

Chicago hosted a tryout on Saturday

Post by firehawk5 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:29 pm

So I don't know what to think about this...

NTE
Site Admin

Post by NTE » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:54 pm

[quote=""coachingubigr""]Do you punch babies and kick puppies? Man you are cold hearted.[/quote]

Yes of course. And truth is, if you are playing in one of these leagues, you should be smart enough yourself to realize you ain't going to the NFL, AT BEST, IF YOU'RE LUCKY, maybe you can go to the AFL and make $20K a year and work fast food or Walmart in the off season.

Playing in these leagues would probably be fun if you have the talent and ability, but it's more of a hobby than a profession. Has there ever been and AIF player make the NFL? I know of a Baltimore Mariner made the Philadelphia Soul, but have never heard of anybody get to the NFL?

RevolutionX
Site Admin

Post by RevolutionX » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Fred Jackson, RB, Buffalo Bills, all-pro, got his start playing in these leagues. Many others have gotten looks from the NFL, CFL, UFL, AFL so talent is talent and if you can play you can play but to dog these players, it just proves you were never a player.

SugarBear
Site Admin

Talent is Talent

Post by SugarBear » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Rev X is 100% correct. However, Fred Jackson came from the NIFL and UIF if not mistaken as a member of the Sioux City Bandits.

You are asking in regards to AIF....that all depends, because the Erie Explosion played in the pseudo AIF/SIFL and they push a lot of players up the ladder. That's a very solid program they run and have a good Head Coach. I do know some Harrisburg Stampede players got NFL and CFL workouts as did some Trenton Steel players. Same with NJ Revolution WR - Chris Manno almost made the KC Chiefs I believe then went to Carolina Panthers...but, it's not even making the final NFL roster, you can live off of practice squad money - base of $5,700 a week in 2012, while some even make more like TB DE Markus White $17,647 per week - crazy but it's true, look it up on nfl.com

So Rev is correct, talent is talent. It's making the most of it when you have the opportunity. Which leads me to my first point, there are legitimate teams that have coaches with true connections and they can provide opportunites to players. Yes, most will get AFL looks but some gifted ones will get NFL & CFL workouts.

When you have these wanna-bes, they take players money first and foremost....but really they rip them off of opportunities of trying out for legitimate teams with legit connections. While no one can guarantee NFL or CFL contracts, at least some organizations can get them a foot in the door. That's all I'm saying.

In my personal opinion the AIF, is nothing more than a bunch of Jerry Jones wanna-bes. Teams appear to be thrown together to play a schedule so guys can say "I own a pro football team". That's it, nothing more. Not to beat a dead horse but the Moorestown Saints fiasco says it right there. Then who knows if these guys are in or out of league. They promote 10 teams, now article comes out there will be six teams.....see the non-sense. So if you are going to deem AIF a glorified rec-league....yes, I completely and whole heartedly agree with you.

However, I will defend the coaches and players because I do believe there is talent there. Maybe not on all teams but definitely some. For those, I do hope they wise up and move on to more legit leagues like the PIFL or CIFL. Those are two leagues I personally see trying to do the right thing for owners and players.

Return to “AIF”