Green Bay Done

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
pkarm
Site Admin

Green Bay Done

Post by pkarm » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:48 pm

The owners of the Green Bay Blizzard are putting the Indoor Football League team up for sale a little more than three years after saving the franchise from folding.

The team, which was formed in 2003, has until Sept. 1 to find a buyer or it will be forced to suspend operations, according to Art Clarkson, the Blizzard’s chief operating officer and part-owner.

Don't really see anyone rescuing it this time around.

Bouncer_Texxx
Site Admin

Post by Bouncer_Texxx » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:16 pm

This may have been in the works longer than anyone cares to think about, and would explain the firing of Coach Fuller after a slow start. (so would the slow start, but he wasn't replaced with an additional coach... food for thought) He (perhaps) was the beginning of a "fire sale". Green Bay being for sale and Chicago's late season payroll shenanigans indicate to me both teams are a long shot at coming back season.
Because, you see, I have a policy about honesty and butt-kicking: if you ask for it, I have to let you have it.

Aaronhere
Site Admin

Post by Aaronhere » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:29 am

"Four of the five current owners of the Blizzard also have other businesses, and running a football team has proven to be too much for some of them because of family and professional commitments.

The team has not made a profit since the new ownership group took over, although the losses have decreased each year.

The Blizzard, which plays its games at the Resch Center, averaged 3,811 fans per game this season despite going 4-10. It included one game with a crowd of 5,880, which was the best-attended contest in the league."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/art ... am-up-sale
America's Real Team
http://www.packershistory.net

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:29 pm

One could safely assume, unless you're giving away 3,000 freebies,
a 3,811 att ave along with ads and team gear sales, you should
have a profitable venture.

tpala43
Site Admin

Post by tpala43 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:33 pm

As of today the Blizzard have a new investor that will keep them in operation for 2014. I don't have a link but it's in the Sept 5th issue of the Green Bay Press Gazette.

www.greenbaypressgazette.com

Hopefully they will do a bit better than 4-10
Last edited by tpala43 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: kinf

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:16 am

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/art ... ck_check=1

It appears the Green Bay Blizzard will play in 2014.

After announcing on June 30 that the indoor football franchise would fold if it didn’t get new investors, Blizzard management has acknowledged it is close to finalizing a deal with a new investor.

“Unless something unexpectedly happens, everything is moving along,” Blizzard chief operating officer Art Clarkson said. “All of these legal things have to come together, and we’re working very hard to move it as quickly as we can.”

Clarkson didn’t name who the investor is and doesn’t plan to until all the final paperwork has been filed. He expects to make an announcement shortly after the Indoor Football League owners’ meeting, which is taking place Sept. 10-11 in Las Vegas.

“We have to finish up our buy-and-sell agreement between the old and new ownership,” Clarkson said. “We have to get a new lease with PMI. We have to get approved by the league, which I’m very optimistic will all be done.”

Including Clarkson, there were five individuals that had shares in the team last season, including former Green Bay Bay Packers running back Ahman Green, who owned a 23.13 percent share.

Clarkson and Green will both continue to hold ownership shares for the 2014 season.

The three investors that are selling their shares were the remaining members of the Titletown Football Group LLC, which purchased the team in October 2009. The investors include Tom Burgess, Bob Weyers and Matthew Umentum.

“It just wasn't going financially where we needed to go fast enough,” Umentum said to Press-Gazette Media in July. “I think it can make money, though.”

The Blizzard has accumulated deficits in each of its four years of play since Titletown Football Group LLC purchased the team and made the decision to play in the IFL after arenafootball ceased operations following the 2009 season.

However, the franchise has cut its deficit in 2013 by 64.2 percent from what it was in 2010.

The Blizzard will remain in the IFL for its 12th season of play. Clarkson said the nine teams that played this year in the league will remain in 2014.

The Blizzard averaged 3,812 fans per game in 2013 when the team went 4-10 and missed the playoffs for the first time since 2004.

Clarkson said negotiations are going on with PMI Entertainment Group to obtain a new lease to use the Resch Center for the Blizzard’s home games.

This will be the fourth time in the franchise’s history that it has gone through a majority ownership change.

“They are Green Bay people,” Clarkson said. “I’m ecstatic about it because I’d rather have hometown investors, who are committed to the community rather than outside investors.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Great news for Green Bay and the Bizz :)

ogfredog
Site Admin

Post by ogfredog » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Green Bay, WI – The Green Bay Blizzard are proud to announce that the team will officially play in the Indoor Football League (IFL) in 2014 with a probable start date of Sunday, March 16 2014. Season tickets are now on sale and interest has been very strong within the community.

In addition, the Blizzard are under new ownership with principle owners now being Larry and Kathy Treankler, two local business people in the Green Bay community. They are thrilled that Ahman Green and Art Clarkson have agreed to remain co-owners in the team.

“We are very happy to welcome Larry and Kathy Treankler to the Blizzard family. I feel with their involvement in the community, not only in business community, but also in community events they will be the long range future of the Blizzard football team,” stated Blizzard Co-Owner, Art Clarkson.

“I wanted to stay with the team and keep the Blizzard in the community because it is good entertainment and it gives the guys that play for the team a chance to stay in shape, try and win a championship and get ready for the next level,” said Ahman Green.

“Several weeks ago we saw a press release stating that unless new owners were found by September 1st the team would cease operations. We felt compelled to help the Blizzard continue to serve the community with great family entertainment and to provide opportunities for young men to play professional football,” stated Larry Treankler

“We look forward to the opportunity to work with the current staff and if I can make it so that my husband can enjoy football as close to 12 months out of the year as possible… that is a win for everyone!” says Kathy Treankler

The Blizzard would like to thank Tom Burgess, John Meyers, Matt Umentum and Bob Weyers, for their contributions for making the Blizzard successful during the last four years.

The IFL plans to release the Blizzard’s 2014 schedule in Mid-October. The Blizzard’s slogan for 2014 will be Passion. Community. Green Bay. to reinforce the team’s dedication to the community and to the City of Green Bay.

Return to “IFL”