25%
Neither
10%

Total votes: 20

yellowpages
Site Admin

Does the PIFL have the right idea?

Post by yellowpages » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:37 am

Does the PIFL have the right ideas in its approach to creating a legitimate league that will support the owners, players, fans and sponsors?

yellowpages
Site Admin

Post by yellowpages » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:53 am

Add your comments. I think it's important.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:55 am

If the league does what it promises to do and the owners actually have money to operate their teams, then it's got as good a shot as anyone in this business. The cold sober truth is minor league sports is a big risk with high overhead and slim profit margins, but some of the shady characters that have been running around indoor football have been leaving a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.
You have to put a good product on the field, price it reasonably and promote, promote, promote like P.T. Barnum on crack. You have to have the mascot, the cheerleaders, the radio broadcast, the silly promotions (Elvis lookalike night, college night, disco night, 80's night, throwback jersey night), the contests between quarters and at halftime, the T-shirt gun, the mascot throwing the flying discs into the crowd, the post-game autograph session, the post-game party at a nice establishment somewhere after the game, midweek meet the team (or cheerleader) sessions at sponsors.
You don't have to win every game (but wins help). You have to develop rivalries (in these parts, Oklahoma City and Tulsa in anything; Wichita and Colorado in CHL hockey; Wichita and Topeka in the APFL is heating up, but you get the drift).
You also have to advertise. TV is expensive, but if you go to the UHF stations and cable, it can be a bit cheaper. Radio and newspaper is a little less expensive. Keep the local paper informed with meaningful releases — player signings and bios. When the local paper can't make it (in the smaller markets, they can't always afford to travel), make sure you get them the results in a timely manner. Keep in touch with the suburban papers and those in the outlying areas as well as the big daily.
You also have to have the right mix of players. You're going to get the journeymen still harboring dreams of someday making the NFL, but if you can get them blended with top local talent, it makes it easier to promote and you get fan recognition as well. Don't overlook the D-II, D-III and NAIA players (the NFL is even getting more aggressive with those types). The talent level at the sub-D-I level is getting better and better.
And my final rant is, this is a lot harder to do than it is to say.

outside source
Site Admin

Post by outside source » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:01 pm

I think NK you're pretty much on target. Any new league right now has a bit of an uphill battle in the credibility department. The PIFL is not designed as an overnight fix or success, but a long term committment to restoring credibility to the sport.

Bandito
Site Admin

Post by Bandito » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:50 pm

nksports wrote:IIf the league does what it promises to do and the owners actually have money to operate their teams, then it's got as good a shot as anyone in this business. The cold sober truth is minor league sports is a big risk with high overhead and slim profit margins, but some of the shady characters that have been running around indoor football have been leaving a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.
You have to put a good product on the field, price it reasonably and promote, promote, promote like P.T. Barnum on crack. You have to have the mascot, the cheerleaders, the radio broadcast, the silly promotions (Elvis lookalike night, college night, disco night, 80's night, throwback jersey night), the contests between quarters and at halftime, the T-shirt gun, the mascot throwing the flying discs into the crowd, the post-game autograph session, the post-game party at a nice establishment somewhere after the game, midweek meet the team (or cheerleader) sessions at sponsors.
You don't have to win every game (but wins help). You have to develop rivalries (in these parts, Oklahoma City and Tulsa in anything; Wichita and Colorado in CHL hockey; Wichita and Topeka in the APFL is heating up, but you get the drift).
You also have to advertise. TV is expensive, but if you go to the UHF stations and cable, it can be a bit cheaper. Radio and newspaper is a little less expensive. Keep the local paper informed with meaningful releases — player signings and bios. When the local paper can't make it (in the smaller markets, they can't always afford to travel), make sure you get them the results in a timely manner. Keep in touch with the suburban papers and those in the outlying areas as well as the big daily.
You also have to have the right mix of players. You're going to get the journeymen still harboring dreams of someday making the NFL, but if you can get them blended with top local talent, it makes it easier to promote and you get fan recognition as well. Don't overlook the D-II, D-III and NAIA players (the NFL is even getting more aggressive with those types). The talent level at the sub-D-I level is getting better and better.
And my final rant is, this is a lot harder to do than it is to say.
What he said... ;)
Last edited by Bandito on Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bear071
Site Admin

Dreams

Post by bear071 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:06 am

Bandito wrote:What he said... ;)
We all dream of the day when someone knows what it takes too run this indoor league and do it right i will stand by they side and give all i can too help.
make it the best it could be.

Bandito
Site Admin

Post by Bandito » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:38 pm

I will support any team and any league that ends up within driving distance of my home. Love the game, love the action.
Richmond Football....onward and upward!

Return to “Indoor/Arena Football”