Haines resigns as UIFL president

The Ultimate Indoor Football League (UIFL) forum
exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:53 am

[quote=""FootInBallDoor""]Well the league created all these crap teams in the south, and replaced them with even worse semi-pro teams. Now Haines is separating himself from the league to focus on how great his unbeaten Tarpons are. The Tarpons only play south teams. Meanwhile the north is full of three strong franchises (Marion, Erie, and Cincinnati). If Haines wanted what was best for the league he'd dump Johnstown, Rome, Mississippi, Western PA, and just have Lakeland, Florida, EKY, Cincy, Erie, and Marion play in one division. Bite the bullet, it's probably a better long-term business decision to get the bus out and drive north/south for real and competitive football.

That being said, I see your point. Maybe that's not how the league was intended, but that is how things turned out.[/quote]

Haines' history, while tainted, does not indicate he sets up his leagues for his teams to run rampant. In fact, with teams he 100% owns, even with a 10-0 Tarpons team he might not be .500

Now, them playing all south teams to save on travel this year? I'll buy that. But it wasn't a competitive thing.
What are you doing here?

FootInBallDoor
Site Admin

Post by FootInBallDoor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:09 am

[quote=""tops804""]...A bit pretentious, as you would think the league would want to more accentuate the positive, not put Haines name in the type...Again.[/quote]

Yeah, why isn't the headline "Krauss named President" ?

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:59 am

[quote=""coachingubigr""]I don't necessarily think so Dan.I don't believe Haines will have the opportunity to run another league in the future, there fore this will be the last time he is able to step down, hence this won't happen again in Andrew Haines's case.[/quote]

Less we forget, Haines sold and bought this league back once already. Not to mention, he still has the baseball gig pending in the fall.

It seems less about actually making these leagues work, and more about sell high and buy low.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Commando678
Site Admin

Post by Commando678 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:19 pm

[quote=""tops804""]Less we forget, Haines sold and bought this league back once already. Not to mention, he still has the baseball gig pending in the fall.

It seems less about actually making these leagues work, and more about sell high and buy low.[/quote]

In his defense this is how you become rich and how you are supposed to do business. I do not fault him for trying to make a profit. Just the way he runs the league and how he tries to add expansion teams.

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:02 pm

[quote=""coachingubigr""]I don't necessarily think so Dan.I don't believe Haines will have the opportunity to run another league in the future, there fore this will be the last time he is able to step down, hence this won't happen again in Andrew Haines's case.[/quote]

If not Haines, then someone else in a some similar situation.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:42 pm

Other than Everblades playoff games .. did any of the other Tarpons games get cancelled or rescheduled? If no - then Haines actually deserves an ounce of credit for doing whatever he had to in order to make sure his games got played.

Yeah they were sham games, but a lot of teams woulda just put "TONIGHT'S GAME CANCELLED" notices on their Facebook. Haines worked the phones and put on a show.. again - a sham show - but at least he put in a lot more effort than just Facebook and Twitter notices advising fans not to show up..

He also deserves several tons (tonnes?) of credit for securing Germain Arena as his home venue. I don't think everyone on OSC really appreciates that enough.

I'm well aware of his history as are many.. but I think he actually managed to get a D+ with his UIFL efforts and a B- with the Tarpons, which compared to the many F's he's gotten along the way is actually an improvement..

Not saying he's redeemed his past by any stretch of the imagination.. or even come close.. but in terms in Haines' World this actually was an improvement year..

Sphinx
Site Admin

Post by Sphinx » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:06 pm

[quote=""daytonadan""]If not Haines, then someone else in a some similar situation.[/quote]

Dan there should be a group of owners out there that should just let me run a league. Don't you think that would be a great idea? :rolleyes: I'm actually serious. HAHAHAHAHAH Or have I started to hatch my own diabolical plan for the future of indoor and arena football as we know it*.

Lipkin (Mr. Irrelevant: 2005 AIFL Draft) hahahaha

*Actually what we know it to be right now is somewhere between the independent pro wrestling circuit and circus sideshow.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:01 am

JK wrote

"TONIGHT'S GAME CANCELLED" notices on their Facebook. Haines worked the phones " etc...

If Andy would have vetted his owners (arena and financial stability to withstand start up woes etc.). There wouldn't have to be any "TONIGHT"S GAME CANCELLED" signs.

Houston Caldwell
Site Admin

Post by Houston Caldwell » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:46 am

[quote=""preeths""]But how was the league constructed to favor the Tarpons? Didn't the rest of the South, save Lakeland, essentially collapse? I can't think that's what Haines actually wanted. That's not to say that his team hasn't enjoyed a significant advantage over largely semi-pro and replacement competition, again save Lakeland, but I think all things being equal, league leadership would have rather had a solid South. They apparently were unable to make that happen and appear to have scrambled to save games in the couple viable southern markets they have.[/quote]

Paul, I'm a longtime admirer of your work and your site, but can it be run without the often insulting remarks about "semi-pro football" which is actually properly called "adult amateur football"??????????

I represent such a program as an owner and President and can tell you that the athletes in the best tier of that sector of football are very good (about a half-dozen players are signed off my team every year by pro indoor teams, and some of them weren't starters on MY team but are starters on the indoor team that signed them). In Tennessee, the PIFL Knoxvile Nighthawks are the first indoor team to play in the state since 2007----- and a lot of my players would rather keep a good job in Nashville and play for my AMATEUR team than relocate to play for a very low-paying indoor team. About 2/3 of my team are former college football players, and we've had 4 players that were college All-Americans at either the DIAA or NAIA levels. So when they play for a professional indoor football team, it's because they are legitimate athletes at that level----- and they don't deserve to have their talents disrespected because they once played for my team.

Sorry to go into a rant, but at the tier of Indoor/Arena football that OSC follows, there are A LOT of good football players that have adult amateur football in their background somewhere----- that fact doesn't make them less good, less legitimate, or less exciting to watch play.
President- Nashville Storm Minor League Football Team (PSFL)
http://www.nashvillestormonline.com

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:37 pm

[quote=""Houston Caldwell""]Paul, I'm a longtime admirer of your work and your site, but can it be run without the often insulting remarks about "semi-pro football" which is actually properly called "adult amateur football"??????????

I represent such a program as an owner and President and can tell you that the athletes in the best tier of that sector of football are very good (about a half-dozen players are signed off my team every year by pro indoor teams, and some of them weren't starters on MY team but are starters on the indoor team that signed them). In Tennessee, the PIFL Knoxvile Nighthawks are the first indoor team to play in the state since 2007----- and a lot of my players would rather keep a good job in Nashville and play for my AMATEUR team than relocate to play for a very low-paying indoor team. About 2/3 of my team are former college football players, and we've had 4 players that were college All-Americans at either the DIAA or NAIA levels. So when they play for a professional indoor football team, it's because they are legitimate athletes at that level----- and they don't deserve to have their talents disrespected because they once played for my team.

Sorry to go into a rant, but at the tier of Indoor/Arena football that OSC follows, there are A LOT of good football players that have adult amateur football in their background somewhere----- that fact doesn't make them less good, less legitimate, or less exciting to watch play.[/quote]

An organized amateur team wouldn't have lost 100-0 to any indoor team, especially with the UIFL rule set. This was a bunch of guys that friends of friends called the morning of a game to get ready to play. Semi-pro is more than appropriate in this instance.
What are you doing here?

Return to “UIFL”