Lightning Strikes Again!

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:32 am

[quote=""LR Lightning""]For the record if anyone is wondering we ended the season averaging 211 spectators per game.[/quote]

You know that sucks, right?

I mean, regardless of how much better it is than the first handful of games, no one in their right mind continues funding a team that can only get 211 people a game. That's not even in the same area code as a promising start.

Now, I guess if you spend almost nothing, keep a revolving door of former small-college players who are convinced they can get an NBA 10-day if they get 30 a night in this non-competitive league and have only one or two people in your front office, you can continue to have a team and call yourself a pro basketball organization.

But you're not. You're just jacking off. There's no point. You're not doing anything for anyone. You're just spinning your wheels.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Anonymous Spectator
Site Admin

Sam hill gets it!

Post by Anonymous Spectator » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:13 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]no one in their right mind continues funding a team that can only get 211 people a game.[/quote]

BINGO!

And the key word missing is "paid". 211 "spectators" is very different from 211 "paid attendees". From the game I attended, of the 61 fans late in the game (again, an accurate count), I would be willing to bet not more than 15-20 paid. Most appeared to be family and friends (likely on a player pass list), one youth basketball team and a few stragglers returning to the gym from a high school road trip.

This league continues to be a wreck that is hard to look away from. The only requirement to getting a franchise appears to be a check mailed to Indianapolis. These owners would have a better chance of being successful selling typewriters and fax machines, or even "behind closed doors" performance enhancement pills.

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:41 am

It just blows me away to see what passes as "successful" pro basketball these days.

Starting with 200 fans a game (at the most) and hoping those numbers grow? From my experience...you are never going to get the attendance you want unless it's there when you start. The hardest thing to do is to maintain the numbers you would get when you start the franchise....of course, my philosophy has been turned upside down by the ABA... My franchise started averaging around 2,000 fans a game and I was ready to jump off a bridge when my attendance dropped to about 1,600 a game by year three. Now, 1,600 a game would be wildly, overwhelmingly successful. Hell...that's not just the ABA...those would be good numbers in the D-League.

It's REALLY sad to see the state of minor league basketball 22 years after I started in it, and five years after I got out of it... And the ABA has led the charge right down the toilet...

LR Lightning
Site Admin

Post by LR Lightning » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:17 pm

I absolutely agree that our numbers sucked. Its nothing to brag about.So what? Its our first year.The expectation level for a first year team in the ABA is to crash and burn after the first month, and that's if they field a team,secure a venue and start the season.Am I correct? Isnt that the norm? Its not like we havent done our research.The Lightning finished their season.As for the results,well now we have expectations.We expect nothing less. You guys can continue to expect us to crash and burn.

Either way, Lightning Strikes Again thread grabbed alot of attention this season.Alot more than I thought. Yes,I used some non-professional tactics on this thread.I see you all were annoyed by the frequent typing errors throughout the season.I figure I needed to be original and do something on a normal basis that would stand out,so why not make the same typing errors?Thank you all for the attention.We were trying to figure out a way to let minor league basketball know that Little Rock had a new team that isn't associated with the old Arkansas Rim Rockers.Now that all of you know that we exist,we greatly appreciate the attention!
Last edited by LR Lightning on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cincy_Monarchs_Fan
Site Admin

attendance does not add up

Post by Cincy_Monarchs_Fan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:24 pm

[quote=""LR Lightning""]For the record if anyone is wondering we ended the season averaging 211 spectators per game.Thats counting door sales and hand counting after the 3rd period.Its bleek but its way better than the 20 people per game that we averaged the first 4 home games![/quote]

Wow! That is really sad, even by ABA standards. :(

So you had 14 home games and of those 14 home games, 4 of them averaged 20 paid fans. Could you give some attendance numbers for the remaining 10 home games to get the "door sales" up to 211 on average per game for the season. I've done the math, I just want to see if the numbers check out or more than likely these are numbers just being pulled out thin air. 211 is a pretty unique number to use, so I assume the Lightning front office staff kept accurate numbers.

I did go to youtube and watch the 3-3-12 game vs Bluff City. I would be shocked if there were over 100 fans at that game, and I'm sure many of those were on the guest list.

On a brighter note, what kind of wattage are in those light bulbs at the scorers table? On the youtube game tape you could see the players x-rays every time they walked past the scorers table, kind of cool. :cool:
Last edited by Cincy_Monarchs_Fan on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:02 pm

[quote=""LR Lightning""]Either way, Lightning Strikes Again thread grabbed alot of attention this season.Alot more than I thought. Yes,I used some non-professional tactics on this thread.I see you all were annoyed by the frequent typing errors throughout the season.I figure I needed to be original and do something on a normal basis that would stand out,so why not make the same typing errors?[/quote]

Crappy spelling isn't original or unique 'round here. See the Gwizz.

[quote=""LR Lightning""]Thank you all for the attention.We were trying to figure out a way to let minor league basketball know that Little Rock had a new team that isn't associated with the old Arkansas Rim Rockers.Now that all of you know that we exist,we greatly appreciate the attention![/quote]

And I can think of only one extra fan the attention on these boards has brought you. Actually, not so sure I'd call him a fan, seeing as he's totally destroying you guys.

You don't want/need to be creating a buzz here-- the comman fan has no idea about these boards. You should be more worried about creating a buzz in your surrounding communities. You know, the people close enough to actually attend a game.

Anonymous Spectator
Site Admin

LOL at LRL...

Post by Anonymous Spectator » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:26 pm

[quote=""newiflfan""]And I can think of only one extra fan the attention on these boards has brought you. Actually, not so sure I'd call him a fan, seeing as he's totally destroying you guys.[/quote]

What up newiflfan? I desperately hope you were referring to me. Because, like my new friend and sales marketing guru LR Lightning, I greatly appreciate your attention.

Now, I will defer back to my new hobby, constantly hitting the "refresh" key on the OSC site and hoping for more words of wisdom on how to run a business. So far, I have gleaned, "now that we've lost lots of money in Year 1, our goal is to lose less lots in Year 2."

You cannot make this stuff up... Go Lightning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:03 pm

One thing LR Lightning has down...

Intentionally making spelling errors...

It IS very ABAish...

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:36 am

This ridiculous league, led by the one man wrecking crew Joseph Newman, has so polluted the minor league basketball name, it can only be adequately compared to the Russian scorched earth policy of Operation Barbarossa.

The whole thing is an absolute circus. How this charade hasn't been ordered shut by the NBA and its lawyers is beyond me. Stern and co are so focused on China, the possibility of a franchise in London and various other international ventures, they can't see the rot that has set in at home.

The ABA is the worst run league in the history of pro sports.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Anonymous Spectator
Site Admin

This Just In...

Post by Anonymous Spectator » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:11 pm

[quote=""LR Lightning""]For the record if anyone is wondering we ended the season averaging 211 spectators per game.Thats counting door sales and hand counting after the 3rd period.[/quote]

LR Lightning may be worse at math than grammar...

To get to the 211 average, why would you add door sales to a hand count? Most people would be double-counted, so you may have averaged closer to 105 or 106 per game.

Let me take it a step further. Attached is a photo of my ticket from the February 25 game. As you can see, it is ticket number 0803. The LRL website indicates February 25 was the 12th home game. Let's assume I was the first to purchase a ticket to the 12th game, that would imply an average of 72.9 paid fans per game :eek: (802 tickets divided by 11 games).

Go Lightning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “ABA”