Players Using Profanity

The Professional Indoor Football League (PIFL) forum
Lions Rule
Site Admin

Players Using Profanity

Post by Lions Rule » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:07 am

Given that the league is trying to be family friendly, why are penalties not assessed when players use profanity? I take my kids to the games and couldn't think of anything other than a Richard Pryor comedy routine with more foul language than they hear at the game.

Last night I heard Alabama players using profanity at officials, and a couple of them used profanity at fans in the stands. The fans I heard talking to the players were not using profanity at them - and the rule should go for fans too - if they use profanity at players, they should be ejected.

One player grabbed his crotch and told someone sitting near me what he would be doing with that person's mother after the game (I'll let you use your imagination).

Fans aside, when a player tells an official that a call was F**** B.S., that ought to garner an usportsmanlike penalty.

This is professional football, so there is no reason that the league shouldn't expect the players to act like professionals.

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:21 am

The group I sit with (on the wall) is a pretty rowdy group. We give the opposing team hell all night long and get a lot of crap back from players and coaches. Its definitely not rated PG. lol.

eaglegene
Site Admin

Post by eaglegene » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:27 am

[quote=""Lions Rule""]Given that the league is trying to be family friendly, why are penalties not assessed when players use profanity? I take my kids to the games and couldn't think of anything other than a Richard Pryor comedy routine with more foul language than they hear at the game.

Last night I heard Alabama players using profanity at officials, and a couple of them used profanity at fans in the stands. The fans I heard talking to the players were not using profanity at them - and the rule should go for fans too - if they use profanity at players, they should be ejected.

One player grabbed his crotch and told someone sitting near me what he would be doing with that person's mother after the game (I'll let you use your imagination).

Fans aside, when a player tells an official that a call was F**** B.S., that ought to garner an usportsmanlike penalty.

This is professional football, so there is no reason that the league shouldn't expect the players to act like professionals.[/quote]

Dont you think they swear in the NFL & other professional sports? If you dont want your kids to hear it sit in the nosebleed seats or dont go to the games. Not saying the players are in the right but its a hard thing to police especially in an aggressive & emotional sport. Me personally, I expect to hear it & do every game I attend, like it or not. If it ever starts to offend me I'll just stop going but highly unlikely it would get to that point.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:25 am

Years ago, I was watching an AFL game on NBC. They miced the QBs. It was a close game late, and one of the QBs went into the huddle and said "We're going to move down the (freaking) field and score a (freaking) touchdown." The announcers were pretty sheepish and apologetic, but you could tell they were ready to crack up. Generally at the pro level, they aren't going to flag language unless it's directed at somebody (like them).

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:49 pm

One of the difference at NFL games the fans aren't 4 inches from the playing field.
While being no prude ( USN veteran) myself, swear what you want in private company but you should be civil and respect children and the wishes of others.
As far as not attending the games I'm sure the owners might feel different about that.
So I agree, foul language in an inclosed arena should generate a mis-conduct penalty.
These guys can usually control themselves from fighting. If they do throw punches they are ejected. If they can control the urge to swing fists then they can control the urge to swear.
Its all about civility and respect for families.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:45 pm

[quote=""nksports""]Years ago, I was watching an AFL game on NBC. They miced the QBs. It was a close game late, and one of the QBs went into the huddle and said "We're going to move down the (freaking) field and score a (freaking) touchdown." The announcers were pretty sheepish and apologetic, but you could tell they were ready to crack up. Generally at the pro level, they aren't going to flag language unless it's directed at somebody (like them).[/quote]

They mic'ed Orlando coach Jay Gruden more than once and he was a steady flow of angered outbursts and swearing. Not cool, when you know you're mic'ed on national TV you've got a professional responsibility to control your language.

As far as the players go, occasional emotional outbursts in the heat of the moment are different than the guys that can't complete a sentence without swearing. Some do talk smack and swear all night, they too have to inderstand it's family entertainment and clean it up. Grabbing yourself and directing your swear-a-palooza at the fans is unacceptable and it should be flagged.

But hey, I've even heard there are some staff relatives that can't control themselves and leave their seat to get a closer instagation going with the opposing staff. If the coaches can't control their own family how can they control the players?

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:07 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]But hey, I've even heard there are some staff relatives that can't control themselves and leave their seat to get a closer instagation going with the opposing staff. If the coaches can't control their own family how can they control the players?[/quote]

LOL, had Columbus won the game, we would not have heard a peep out of them, its funny how quickly how some forget how their franchise is also guilty of committing equally aggregious offenses in a so-called family atmosphere.

eaglegene
Site Admin

Post by eaglegene » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:17 pm

See me personally I dont look at indoor football,or for that matter any sporting event, as family entertainment although I know the teams themselves market it that way. Family entertainment to me is an amusement park, movies, carnival etc etc. Sporting events, eh, not so much. Just my opinion though. So for my money let the four letter words fly and lets add some paid bountys to the mix :cool:

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:24 pm

[quote=""eaglegene""] So for my money let the four letter words fly and lets add some paid bountys to the mix :cool: [/quote]

Please tell us you were being facetious with that asinine comment....
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:20 pm

[quote=""DFWCC""]One of the difference at NFL games the fans aren't 4 inches from the playing field.
While being no prude ( USN veteran) myself, swear what you want in private company but you should be civil and respect children and the wishes of others.
As far as not attending the games I'm sure the owners might feel different about that.
So I agree, foul language in an inclosed arena should generate a mis-conduct penalty.
These guys can usually control themselves from fighting. If they do throw punches they are ejected. If they can control the urge to swing fists then they can control the urge to swear.
Its all about civility and respect for families.[/quote]

Stay away from hockey games then....

Return to “PIFL”