Lightning Strikes Again!

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
LR Lightning
Site Admin

Post by LR Lightning » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:56 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]Like when we call each other lazy Americans? ;) [/quote]

Lazy,fingerpointing,not involved,no motivation in life,not willing to step up but try to pull down those who are trying/willing to step up,Americans? Yes!
Absolutely!

jhurley90
Site Admin

Post by jhurley90 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:34 pm

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]

BTW - as to patting yourself on the back (and the woman with the Gwizz) for getting involved - the work history and resumes of many of the same posters here you call out as 'typically weak' would overwhelming dwarf your 20 minutes of minor league experience. Many here have forgotten far more than you have thus far learned.

[/quote]

I'm sorry but I not once was trying to "pat myself on the back." I was simply stating that while you are trying to put down what you think are little errors in little news releases you act like you're oh so superior for doing so, when what you don't realize is the things you are putting down things done by me, not a coach or anything. Meaning just a 21 year old college girl who did these things for free while having my own responsibilities to worry about.

If you can go ahead and put me down then there is no reason why I can't give myself a little credit for helping the team out. Especially when my helping the team out has actually acvomplished quite a bit (hence why I may be off to Australia in a couple weeks after my boyfriend signs his contract). So, if you don't want me giving myself credit for these things then maybe you should rethink putting down every little thing. It would be different if I was a paid professional doing these things then obviously you should expect perfection, but the point is I am not and it is unpaid.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:20 pm

[quote=""jhurley90""]...little errors in little news releases...[/quote]

No such thing exists, especially at this level of sports. "Little" errors are glaringly huge in the eyes of the media that news releases go to.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:22 pm

[quote=""jhurley90""]I'm sorry but I not once was trying to "pat myself on the back." I was simply stating that while you are trying to put down what you think are little errors in little news releases you act like you're oh so superior for doing so, when what you don't realize is the things you are putting down things done by me, not a coach or anything. Meaning just a 21 year old college girl who did these things for free while having my own responsibilities to worry about.

If you can go ahead and put me down then there is no reason why I can't give myself a little credit for helping the team out. Especially when my helping the team out has actually acvomplished quite a bit (hence why I may be off to Australia in a couple weeks after my boyfriend signs his contract). So, if you don't want me giving myself credit for these things then maybe you should rethink putting down every little thing. It would be different if I was a paid professional doing these things then obviously you should expect perfection, but the point is I am not and it is unpaid.[/quote]

The comment wasn't directed toward you - I brought up your name only in the context of LR's use of you in his example.

I - and others here - have said your heart is in the right place, and it is great that you freely volunteered your time.

I would suggest that good grammar doesn't require extra time devoted; hopefully it is second nature - especially if you hope to go anywhere on your career path where grammar is essential to success and a favorable impression. You don't have to agree with my assessment of your releases - 20+ years experience apparently doesn't count for much to you - but I would challenge you to bring your writing samples to one of your professors for their critique. It is a noble gesture on your part to get involved, and these releases are a start, but - and I mean this in all sincerity and with respect to your age and experience - they are not professional-level. It doesn't mean you won't get there, and it doesn't mean you aren't talented. But at this point, your work is typical of a 21-year old student.

(which at some point - many of us were)

Good luck in your future endeavors.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:57 pm

[quote=""LR Lightning""]I already listed the factors we have going against us.[/quote]

Chief among them: you don't know what you're doing, and one of the very few people in the front office spends too much time arguing with people here.

[quote=""Cincy_Monarchs_Fan""]P.S. Let #32 know not to park in the handicapped parking spot when showing up at game time unless he is the first handicapped ABA player. :mad: [/quote]

Hey, the ABA has done more for handicapped players than any league in history!

[quote=""LR Lightning""]And you could have told #32 youself.You were there early enough,so why didnt you say something to him? Was it the 6'5 frame and tattoos that made you think about speaking to him on the matter? And that #32 saved us saturday night.Why are you more concerned about where he parks? You could be talking about his performance in the fourth quarter.[/quote]

Because it's frigging illegal. And goes to this sense of delusion, entitlement and myopia you and your athletes appear to have.

[quote=""LightningMan""]Maybe he's just a person who called you out. Not everyone works for a team.[/quote]

Nah, she has to play that card on everybody. And if you tell her, she doesn't listen and you have to tell her again, in very simple sentences. Because she's not very bright.

The clock is ticking on your team, your career in the ABA and your relevance here.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

jhurley90
Site Admin

Post by jhurley90 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:41 pm

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]The comment wasn't directed toward you - I brought up your name only in the context of LR's use of you in his example.

I - and others here - have said your heart is in the right place, and it is great that you freely volunteered your time.

I would suggest that good grammar doesn't require extra time devoted; hopefully it is second nature - especially if you hope to go anywhere on your career path where grammar is essential to success and a favorable impression. You don't have to agree with my assessment of your releases - 20+ years experience apparently doesn't count for much to you - but I would challenge you to bring your writing samples to one of your professors for their critique. It is a noble gesture on your part to get involved, and these releases are a start, but - and I mean this in all sincerity and with respect to your age and experience - they are not professional-level. It doesn't mean you won't get there, and it doesn't mean you aren't talented. But at this point, your work is typical of a 21-year old student.

(which at some point - many of us were)

Good luck in your future endeavors.[/quote]

The point is that little time was used and very few mistakes (if any) were made in the ones I wrote. If any were made as far as grammar or spelling it is because I too have done the majority through my phone and don't always notice the mistakes such as missing a button etc. I don't need you to tell me that my writing is not good I think that the fact I am a senior in college and have gotten a 90 or above on just about all of my college papers would prove that to be wrong. Especially since a few of these courses have been graduate level meaning high level writing.

What I did for the Gwizzlies was a side thing meaning that a lot of it was done using my phone inbetween classes or something of that sort. As far as the websites I made those were both made initiall over the course of only a night or two and other edits were done whenever I had a bit of free time. I am not saying that my work is any better than the people who are being paid to do it, I am simply saying it is unfair for you to criticize when you are unaware of the circumstances. Even if my work including websites are not top of the line I would think it is better than what the Gwizzlies originally had which was next to nothing.

http://www.wix.com/gogwizzlies/proball
http://www.wix.com/adamyeoman/basketball
Last edited by jhurley90 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:48 pm

JHurley, I'm sorry if you feel that you have to take a defensive posture on this. Let me say that your posts here are not at all reflective of a typical Gwizz press release and suggest to me that you did not censor your boss enough when putting this things out for him. And yes, you are supposed to censor your boss, since part of your job is to make him look good. When the Gwizz was in the CBL, there were no "Gwizz-tastic" press releases because Fells (IIRC) edited the snot out of them.

Good luck with your future.

jhurley90
Site Admin

Post by jhurley90 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:04 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]JHurley, I'm sorry if you feel that you have to take a defensive posture on this. Let me say that your posts here are not at all reflective of a typical Gwizz press release and suggest to me that you did not censor your boss enough when putting this things out for him. And yes, you are supposed to censor your boss, since part of your job is to make him look good. When the Gwizz was in the CBL, there were no "Gwizz-tastic" press releases because Fells (IIRC) edited the snot out of them.

Good luck with your future.[/quote]

I just don't want people getting the idea that I was putting all of my effort and everything into anything I did because I wasn't and it was a side thing. I also had no boss or anything I was obligated to do; I just did what I could in my free time to help out the team as I was doen in Atlants wih my boyfriend when he played for the team.

Cincy_Monarchs_Fan
Site Admin

Post by Cincy_Monarchs_Fan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:36 pm

[quote=""LR Lightning""]@cincy_monarchs_fan
Did you at least stay for halftime to get a good laugh at Disco Daddy, our most loyal fan and mascot?
[/quote]

The guy in the photo with the hat on is your mascot? I'm sorry, no seriously I'm really sorry... As you can see, the fans in front of me are really getting a kick out of his antics. Try the dizzy bat contest at halftime, you can never go wrong with the dizzy bat contest :? :.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Anonymous Spectator
Site Admin

LR Lightning - Did you stay until the end?

Post by Anonymous Spectator » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:05 am

This banter is too much to pass on joining in.

I did attend this game. I stayed until the end. I was among the four people sitting on the court opposite the benches. One of the four filmed the game and another appeared to be Cameron Butler's personal coach and/or agent.

YOU GOT THE SCORE WRONG (in an earlier post)! Little Rock was leading 99-97 with 0:11 left. Bluff City (#2) hit a challenged 3-pointer with 0:01 left. Little Rock threw the ball the length of the court out of bounds. Bluff City threw the ball in and was deflected out of bounds. Still 0:01 left. When Little Rock did not play "defense", Bluff City threw the ball in bounds under the basket for an uncontested lay-up. Final score 102-99. You said 3-pointer at the buzzer for 103-99 final (way wrong).

That said, here are my observations: 1) I paid $10 to get in and paid $20 for a Little Rock Lightning shirt and $2 for popcorn and water, 2) I counted the attendance on several occasions (because it was real easy). The highest was 61 late in the game (included infants and a youth basketball team), 3) the quality of play is a glorified open gym for former basketball players (Cameron Butler and Bluff City #2 were clearly best players, but no way could make roster for an NBDL team), 4) this was an entertaining and exciting game that the crowd (of 61) got into during Little Rock's fourth quarter comeback, and 5) this team and this league have NO CHANCE to succeed or make any money (as I expect more than half of the 61 did not pay to get in).

I could easily comment of your halftime entertainment, but I will keep that to myself. LR Lightning - I dare you to challenge any of my comments above as being non-factual. I have plenty more ammo that would be classic for this website (if I need it).

Actually, I think you should thank me for spending $32 to attend your game.

Return to “ABA”