Lightning Strikes Again!

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:53 pm

[quote=""LR Lightning""]Criticize me all day,thats fine.[/quote]

Good.

Here's one: you can't write.

Here's another one: you don't know how to do what you're trying to do.

You came in here with guns a blazing about what you were going to do and how you were going to do it before you've done anything.
I also commended Joe Newman on what he is doing for the minorities here in America.
What, exploiting them?
The Lightning are embraced in our community.
Here's another criticism: you exaggerate.

You're just another in a long, long line of people with a family member or significant other who have had the idea to own their own pro basketball team, who have said you were going to do this and do that and had delusions of grandeur. The bones of 99.9% of those people litter the forest of minor-league basketball.

We've seen it all before, and it's just your turn in the box. Your team is going nowhere except the scrap heap, and if you really have "work to do," you should stop wasting time here. Because your time management as currently structured doesn't seem to be helping you sell tickets.

At the end of the day, that's what you're trying to do. Whether you realize it or not, nothing happens - no impact on the community, no embracing, no positive outcomes for minorities, nothing - unless you sell tickets. And you have zero idea how to do that.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

LR Lightning
Site Admin

Post by LR Lightning » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Well, its another beautiful day here in Little Rock.Tonight,The Lightning strike against Memphis Bluff City Reign.The last meeting on Jan.29 ended with the Reign winning 110-101. Memphis limps into tonights game after losing a heartbreaker to the NEA Swag.To make matters worse for the Reign, they recently lost 3 major monsters on their team to overseas contracts.It wont matter to us because we beat the Reign when Coach Henderson had all his horses in the stable.Im sure he wont have a problem replacing the talent he recently lost. We need Mark Green,the only player that averages 30ppg on the Lightning( and our best player!),Danny McCall (co-captain), and Rashad Moss(co-captain) to score at least 30 apiece for the Lightning to win tonight.
Coach Clark had drawn up a few plays last game that widen the lead against Dallas.I hope he orders a full court press for the entire first half.The Lightning are gonna need all the 3-d buckets they can get! Another good thing from the ABA!Thank you!
GO LIGHTNING!
Last edited by LR Lightning on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:03 pm

[quote=""LR Lightning""]Well, its another beautiful day here in Little Rock.Tonight,The Lightning strike against Memphis Bluff City Reign.The last meeting on Jan.29 ended with the Reign winning 110-101. Memphis limps into tonights game after losing a heartbreaker to the NEA Swag.To make matters worse for the Reign, they recently lost 3 major monsters on their team to overseas contracts.It wont matter to us because we beat the Reign when Coach Henderson had all his horses in the stable.Im sure he wont have a problem replacing the talent he recently lost. We need Mark Green,the only player that averages 30ppg on the Lightning( and our best player!),Danny McCall (co-captain), and Rashad Moss(co-captain) to score at least 30 apiece for the Lightning to win tonight.
Coach Clark had drawn up a few plays last game that widen the lead against Dallas.I hope he orders a full court press for the entire first half.The Lightning are gonna need all the 3-d buckets they can get! Another good thing from the ABA!Thank you!
GO LIGHTNING![/quote]

You seem like a tightly-knit group...why not form your own league with the other Arkansas and Mid-South teams...call it the MSBL perhaps?
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

LR Lightning
Site Admin

Post by LR Lightning » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:16 pm

[quote=""Minor League Man""]You seem like a tightly-knit group...why not form your own league with the other Arkansas and Mid-South teams...call it the MSBL perhaps?[/quote]

I take that as a compliment! Gracias! And yes,organization is one of the key factors in making anything a success.Its up to the people involved and the attitudes they bring to the table.As far as organizing a league,well no. We just started and we dont know everything! Even so,I have no further comment about that.I speak as a fan on here and any further comments regarding your question would bring upon speculation because of my paid-position with the team.
Last edited by LR Lightning on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LR Lightning
Site Admin

Post by LR Lightning » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:57 pm

I will say this,the two most successful tightly knit groups for this season in minor league basketball is the NBLC and the player-coaching personnel for the London Lightning.

Ill start with nblc...The executives for Halifax,St.John,and Quebec came together and decided they were fed up with the shinanigans playing in the PBL.Right there,they all had the same attitude.They knew regionalizing would take pressure off the travel budgets.They knew if they all had the same common denominator,Canadian,there will be a good chance the public would be open to the idea of a national basketball league.So far,3-4 games left until the playoffs.Sounds like a success to me.Im well aware of the attendance woes and financial assiatance the league provided for a couple of teams.BUT,no games were miss,the season is almost complete,and they are coming back for a second season.Congrats from me!

Ok,so everyone who follows minor league basketball knows the cavs players and MRR regrouped in London,Ontario to field the Lightning.They were probably the biggest victims in the foul scandal which interrupted their championship dynasty.They all have the same attitude.Only the refs whistle will literally stop us.As a result,they are sitting atop the nblc standings and are #1 seed going into playoffs.

For anything to be a success, it depends on the people involved and the attitudes they bring to the table.
Last edited by LR Lightning on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LR Lightning
Site Admin

Post by LR Lightning » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:01 am

The Lightning didnt strike tonite.Nobody could have ever predicted the finish.It was so exciting,thrilling,and heartbreaking.Its not the same magnitude as the Boise disaster(2007 Fiesta Bowl) but man this one sure hurts! Final Score Memphis Bluff City Reign 103-Little Rock Lightning 99.
Ill cut right to it...the Reign were winning by 20 at halftime.Sloppy uncharacteristic plays from our guards really put us in the hole.Mark Green couldnt get open all night as he was double teamed and managed only 14 points.Mark averages 30 a game and he is double teamed every game so for him to come up short of his season average tonite is a headscratcher.I will say Memphis did a good job of denying him the ball.
The Lightning took their first lead of the game at the 8 minute mark of the fourth quarter thanks to the heroics of Cameron Butler! He scored 14 straight points in the fourth quarter for the Lightning to ignite the furious rally.Butler finished with 21.But clearly the best player of the game was Memphis guard #2 Maurice Mickens.I dont say this very often when I see teams play,but this guy belongs on someones D-League roster!Mickens is an elite point guard that cant miss a shot! He scored 31 tonite.The Lightning were leading 99-97 with 11 seconds to go in the fourth quarter.Dontae Hinton passes Mickens the ball,shakes and bakes,steps back and drains a three with 1 second left.
Coach Clark calls timeout to set up an inbound cross court pass.Rashad Moss takes the ball out,heaves it across the court,took one bounce and turnover.To make matters worse,mickens shoots a three at the buzzer and nothing but net,again.Thats how they ended,103-99.I would compare him to Chris Paul style of player.A floor general with a sweet stroke and stashing abilities.Very fearless.

Well,forget about it,our next game is tomorrow at 3pm.The NorthEastArkansas Swag come to town.They are the hottest team in our division.I believe theyve won 10 in a row? The crazy thing is all of their wins during the streak have been under 6 points.They have old school veterans Chico Fletcher and Gaylon Nickerson.Remember the movie white men cant jump? Think of the two old guys in the end that Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson beat.Thats them.The only difference is both Fletcher and Nickerson can go for 40 apiece and find a way to win while they are at it.Nickerson is the oldest player on any south central division roster at age 42.But man he sure can fly!Can you imagine a 42 yr old guy coming down the lane full speed just to jump over you?Ive seen him do it.Freakin weird man!

Memphis improved their record to 15-6 while the Lightning drop to 13-7.
We gotta keep Nickerson from getting to the basket and we gotta keep harassing Chico Fletcher into making turnovers.They are a gritty,run the clock down and take one shot per possession type of team.Plus, they always find a way to win.Ill be there to see what happens.
GO LIGHTNING!

LR Lightning
Site Admin

Post by LR Lightning » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:24 am

The Lightning Strike Again! Final score Little Rock Lightning 139 NEA Swag 116.But first,let me get back to last night!Apparently,some egos and attitudes got the best of a few players last night.The Lightning started the game today with only 6 total players!I got really worried when I didnt see Mark Green.Turns out he was at a late church service. Cameron Butler showed up late too, but he was stuck in traffic.He lives near Hot Springs National Park which is literally a 50mph drive through the forest heading to Little Rock.Im really glad they showed up.The Lightning held Gaylon Nickerson and Chico Fletcher in check for the first half.As a team, The Swag were held to just 39 first half points.
Then Nickerson started flying! He glides thru the air so effortlessly.Im 31 and im good for a reverse jam,but this guy is 42 and posterizing our players!Chico got hot,nailing 5 straight three pointers and capping it of with a 5 point 3-d play.He hit the free throw too. So our 79-39 halftime lead dwindled to just 10 after 3 quarters.The Swag out scored us 50-20 in the 3rd.
In the fourth quarter,Mark Green and Danny McCall took over.Mark scored 17 in the quarter and Danny dominated the boards finishing with 31 points and 10 rebounds.Nickerson got hot,hitting 3 three pointers in the fourth while finishing with 30pts and Chico started slashing to the goal,finishing with 27 pts.Cameron Butler came thru again for us in the clutch situations.He nailed 8 of his nine free throw attempts in the fourth quarter.We definately showed more heart tonight than lastnight.

The Lightning improve to 14-7 and NEA Swag drop to 13-7.As of today,Memphis is leading our division.We play them again on Saturday.If the Lightning win,they earn a share of the division crown with Memphis.If not,the Reign win the division outright.
GO LIGHTNING!
Last edited by LR Lightning on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cincy_Monarchs_Fan
Site Admin

Post by Cincy_Monarchs_Fan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:11 pm

[quote=""LR Lightning""]200 and still growing.The same fans from the beginning still have interest in the team.They bring in new people with them every game.More teenagers are showing up too,and thats big for a saturday night game or sunday matinee, because there is a mall around the corner from where we play and thats where the teens hang out.You have to see it for yourself.Section by section,more fans are in the seats.And Id rather see our attendance steadily grow than steadily decline.And its our first season.

We crunched the numbers and expectations are not set at a high level,for now.The Lightning are a new product on the market.Spreading awareness is the main focal point.

Then again, 200 and still growing is a long way from 20-50 per game to start the season.[/quote]

Photos from Saturday 2-25-2012, where's the other 160 of the 200 fans? As you said, "You have to see it for yourself". :confused:

P.S. Let #32 know not to park in the handicapped parking spot when showing up at game time unless he is the first handicapped ABA player. :mad:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:08 pm

[quote=""Cincy_Monarchs_Fan""]Photos from Saturday 2-25-2012, where's the other 160 of the 200 fans? As you said, "You have to see it for yourself". :confused:

P.S. Let #32 know not to park in the handicapped parking spot when showing up at game time unless he is the first handicapped ABA player. :mad: [/quote]

The player in the handicapped spot is a great story. I somehow doubt judging by the pictures you posted that parking was tight
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Only one person should be posting on behalf of the team, if at all: The owner.

Had I owned a sports team or any other business and employees posted like this, they would be gone.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

Return to “ABA”