PIFL NOT Naming Commissioner for 2012 Season

The Professional Indoor Football League (PIFL) forum
jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:45 am

[quote=""coachingubigr""]+1
I agree. PIFL is making a mistake not hiring a commissioner.[/quote]

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, could all work out good, but in most cases feel there should be someone at the helm that can be there full time.

sportznut
Site Admin

Post by sportznut » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:50 am

someone completely impartial that only looks out for the betterment of a league.. totally agree
Changes.... they are a coming......

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:49 pm

[quote=""sportznut""]someone completely impartial that only looks out for the betterment of a league.. totally agree[/quote]

Are you saying 'nut that owners can't be impartial and look beyond their own team????

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:45 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]Are you saying 'nut that owners can't be impartial and look beyond their own team????[/quote]

I am assuming this statement was made in jest Jerry.

As for the PIFL, I do believe a mistake is being made by not hiring a commissioner. The league does need a third party, that is completely void of any ties to one team to ensure league guidelines are being properly enforced across the league.

:what follows below may offend some:

Jeff Gonos may be a fine individual, I wouldn't know because I have never met him or spoken to him. But he is a former employee of the Columbus Lions. Like it or not, he has a tie to a team and while he is no longer employed by the Lions, that tie is still there.

I have big hopes for this league and believe great things will come but the move to save money by forgoing a commissioner is a head scratcher.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:35 am

[quote=""coachingubigr""]I am assuming this statement was made in jest Jerry.

As for the PIFL, I do believe a mistake is being made by not hiring a commissioner. The league does need a third party, that is completely void of any ties to one team to ensure league guidelines are being properly enforced across the league.

Jeff Gonos may be a fine individual, I wouldn't know because I have never met him or spoken to him. But he is a former employee of the Columbus Lions. Like it or not, he has a tie to a team and while he is no longer employed by the Lions, that tie is still there.

I have big hopes for this league and believe great things will come but the move to save money by forgoing a commissioner is a head scratcher.[/quote]

Mostly in jest, but I've known more than one owners who's interest did not extend beyond their own team.

sportznut
Site Admin

Post by sportznut » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:17 am

the games have not even been played, of course they are all looking out for the league.. BUT.. the first time something goes down .. it will be every team for themselves, as usual....

PLENTY of stories, even from the impartial person as i was, where i was accused of making decisions favoring one team over another. But when i ruled for that team on another matter, i was then accused of being in their pocket.. Hell, i wish i would have been in someones pocket. LOL....

I have seen the most mild mannered owner, when it comes down to the end of the season and a playoff spot is on the line, start causing so much hell.

Lets see if there is a repeat of the Albany/ Columbus situation, Hopefully not, but i mean if there was, lets see how fairly they work out a problem like that and remain on same page.

Maybe these guys are actually all on the same page, time will tell.
Changes.... they are a coming......

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:24 pm

All is this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:58 pm

So say we all.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:59 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]All I'm saying is that owners usually have other interests than just their teams and a league, any league, needs someone to watch over the day to day stuff. Leagues don't run without some kind of supervision.[/quote]

[quote=""coachingubigr""]I am assuming this statement was made in jest Jerry.

I have big hopes for this league and believe great things will come but the move to save money by forgoing a commissioner is a head scratcher.[/quote]

I had said some time back that there would be no commissioner hired or if there was an owner named as interim commissioner, it would likely be the Columbus owner, this was because John Hargrove was head of the search committee, so it should not surprise anyone as to the league hires that have been made to this point. I do not know that I would say that the final decision that was arrived at is an example of 100% "let's save money", from what I understand, they interviewed/had dialog with at least a half dozen, and possibly as many as eight candidates, they were prepared to offer the job to one of the individuals, but that candidate took another job. If they were not comfortable with the other candidates enough to offer them the job, then were they really attempting to be frugal, that is not throwing money down a rat hole just to have someone in the position. As far as whether having no commissioner or not is a good idea, only time will tell, but the LSFL has a commissioner in place and what has that been beneficial for the league? They have already had one team go belly up without playing a down, and several others changing handsbetween ex-partners, so having a commissioner is not everything, commissioners are often figureheads, it is all in how the league is collectively run as a whole that counts.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bouncer_Texxx
Site Admin

Post by Bouncer_Texxx » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:08 pm

[quote=""daytonadan""]All is this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.[/quote]

[quote=""preeths""]So say we all.[/quote]

world without end, ramen...

Funny that over and over again we continuously see the same junk happening over and over, and over and over again.

For real, indoor football sounds like a Letterman Top Ten...

Top 10 biggest delusional things said in indoor football

#1 "We're going to do things the right way"
#2 (yeah we know other teams have crashed and burned in this market 13 times before but "we're different"
Because, you see, I have a policy about honesty and butt-kicking: if you ask for it, I have to let you have it.

Return to “PIFL”