A perfect snapshot of this ABA

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

A perfect snapshot of this ABA

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 am

complete with Joe Newman's laughably oblivious commentary.

Have some fun, and count the number of Newman-esque related issues in this article. It's as though the writer was trying to put together an article that captures every example of all that is wrong with this league, the people who join, and the "management" style of the Kitchen Czar.

I went ahead and bolded a few of the more obvious myriad issues in the article (really, could have just highlighted every quote from Clueless Joe - who admonishes these two for not being successful with no money on Staten Island, while his OWN team with budgets in 6 figures crashed and burned in only two seasons in the most basketball-crazed state in the country); feel free to add your own.....

http://www.silive.com/sports/index.ssf/ ... _to_r.html
Staten Island Vipers look to rebound

Published: Wednesday, January 18, 2012, 9:02 PM
By Ernie Palladino/Staten Island Advance

The Staten Island Vipers of the American Basketball Association have a 4-4 record and a competitive group of players.

They also have a marketing problem.

That has led to a financial shortfall which, if not resolved in the near future, could turn the Vipers' 2011-2012 inaugural season into its last.
"It's tough," said Kyle Brereton, who co-owns the Vipers with former St. Peter's Girls" HS star Ayanna Phillip. "But the group we've put together is looking at the bigger picture."
That picture is not exactly being projected on an IMAX screen, but a much more modest stage with small goals. Difficulty in making expenses -- the betrothed couple has its life savings tied up in this venture -- has put the Vipers' future in peril, though Brereton said he and Phillip are committed to finishing the 11 remaining games on the schedule.
That begins Sunday at 6 p.m. against the NYC Thunder at the Bernikow JCC in Sea View.
"We're going to get through this," Brereton said.
But Brereton admitted it will be a struggle. The ledger stands about $15,000 below sea level. Sponsorship has been slow in coming. Players and coaches haven't been paid, and at least one of its two featured stars, Lawrence Borha, could be leaving for a contract in Europe.
The other, Zaire Taylor, missed last week's game for personal reasons, but could return for this game.
The team hasn't practiced as a unit for two weeks, owing much to the difficulty in securing a home court. Initial plans to play the bulk of their home games at the College of Staten Island gym have been scrapped for now in favor of the JCC, which offered less expensive rates for hosting the games. Brereton still has hopes of holding the last few games at CSI.
"The main financial thing is paying for the venues," Brereton said. "We're going to stay here (at JCC) for a while and build up some revenue. But we're planning on playing our last five or six games at CSI, just to go out with a bang and let everybody know we're still here and that everything's going to be all right."
Attendance has dropped off significantly, from 320 at the Dec. 5 opener against Connecticut, to 250 at the Fast-Break Basketball Center in Tottenville, to 85 last week at the JCC.
"We have a fan base, but it's tough with the venue because a lot of people don't know where we're playing."
That's where the marketing aspect comes in. ABA teams, according to the league's CEO Joe Newman, either sink or swim. The league will not step in to take over a financially floundering squad as the NBA did with the New Orleans Hornets.
It is therefore incumbent upon each team to take up the ABA's marketing plan and run with its four-fold model -- ticket sales, sponsorship, merchandising, and media.
With limited financial resources and even more limited front-office manpower, the Vipers haven't performed the kind of outreach Newman would have hoped for.
"It's one thing to put a basketball team on the court," Newman said. "It's another to follow the business model. I tell them, if you open up a McDonald's and don't have French fries and Coke, it doesn't matter how many hamburgers you have. You're not going to be successful.
"You have a responsibility to do everything, not just a few things."
Newman said he hasn't heard of any impending disasters from Phillip and Brereton, but did indicate he expected a better marketing effort after they formed the franchise in near-record time.
He said marketing the team properly would solve all the Vipers' financial woes.
"For a team not to be successful on Staten Island following the ABA plan is sort of silly because it's a closed, tight market," Newman said. "Professional basketball at an affordable price (tickets go from $12, $8 and $5) is a terrific product in a place like Staten Island, where everybody is in after 6 o'clock.
"I'd hate to see a team not being successful in a great area like Staten Island. I'm putting extreme pressure on them to follow the plan."
Brereton, meanwhile, plans to keep plugging along. Tim Jennings, a star at Gardner-Webb and a former teammate of Brereton's, is planning to join the team soon. And they still have a solid Staten Island core that includes former Jaques Award winner John Baiano of St. Peter's and Curtis standout Angel Branch.
"I'm actually close friends with Marsha Blount, the president of the Jersey Express," Brereton said. "They've been around seven years now. She said the first year was tough, but after that first season everything started rolling along fine, and she's got no complaints.
"Hopefully everything comes together. We just want to finish the season strong and get prepared for next year. Get everything going, get the expenses going so we don't have this for next season."
Last edited by ABARedWhiteBlue on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 pm

I thought the ABA plan was different.

1. Send Joe check for $10,000
2. Joe sends you luck.
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:41 am

Knowing the attendance is a leg up on most ABA teams.

Otherwise, it's the same old thing. No business plan. No revenue stream. No capital. No success.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:46 am

"the ABA plan" indeed. Joe and his unique ability to generate near endless unintended comedy is incredible.

If I was Joe I'd be calling over to Italy about now. Looking for that Costa ship captain Francesco Schetteno. He is the embodiment of the ABA plan
1. Enter into things w/o any care or attention
2. Blindly sail on oblivious of any impending doom
3. Abandon ship at the earliest opportunity leaving everyone else to fend for themselves
4/ Act confused and sound ridiculous as others view the ship wreck you have caused

The Good Ship ABA and Captain Schetteno are made for each other
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:08 pm

See, here's the thing:

1 - If you've only lost $15k, you're way, way, way ahead of most folks who try to do this.
2 - Pick a venue. One venue.
3 - You can't put a team together "in near-record time" and hope to have "a better marketing effort." Marketing takes time. It simply cannot happen in near-record time. It can't. I don't care who you are.
4 - Joe's constant McDonald's and Wal-Mart references are tired.
5 - "He said marketing the team properly would solve all the Vipers' financial woes" is the single dumbest thing anyone's ever said anywhere at any time. And Joe's got a lot of them. You could spend a kagillion dollars marketing an ABA team and it wouldn't solve all of your woes. You'd probably have more woes, because you're not going to get a kagillion dollars back in ticket sales.
6 - Yeah, everything's rolling along fine with Marsha Blount. Sure it is.
7 - One thing I know...if you convince your spouse-to-be that you should put your life savings into a b.s. venture like this, you know you've found a soulmate. It's beyond stupid from a business perspective, but you've found someone you should be with, for sure.
8 - Lastly, "the plan" you should follow that's Joe Newman's example is to continually find morons who will give you $10k when they have no idea how to run a team.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:37 pm

The thing is, I suspect that Newman's much-ballyhooed "marketing plan" is something like this:

"Ticket sales, sponsorship, merchandising, and media -- you should have them. The End."

Anything more complex would confuse most of the poor and deluded who have leveraged their financial futures on this Titanic (of a) sports enterprise...

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:48 am

I actually wish Joe did follow the McDonald's business model. You have to invest close to a million dollars, do a site study, and complete fairly intensive training (the much-mocked HamburgerU, which a lot of Goldman Sachs types would flunk out of) in order to be awarded a McDonald's franchise. In most towns, McDonald's has the best location of any franchise, and their rigorous site selection process is one reason why.

These are the requirements for buying an existing one.

http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/franc ... chise.html

..and their training requirements.

http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/franc ... ining.html

As a result, their system weeds out most of the failures in advance, and few franchisees that make it through fail.

The ABA model tends to weed out the success stories, as the few strong links in the chain quickly find somewhere else to go.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Joe probably couldn't find Staten Island on a map, but is saying that a borough connected to Manhattan, the entertainment capital of the US (or at least one of them) by boat and bridge, is a "closed, tight market where everybody is in after 6 pm."

Obviously the Staten Island owner's check cleared the bank. Joe felt secure throwing him under the bus in the paper. Any potential investor with business sense reading Joe's comments is going to steer clear of the Vipers.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Years ago on the Yahoo board I posted very similar info re: McDonald's franchising in direct reply to another of Joe's silly comparisons of them to his sideshow

Joe of course ignored the post. Can't imagine why???? :confused:

And Joe, I believe, IS from the NYC area originally, so he knows where Staten Island is on a map. He just has no knowledge of how to put a basketball team there.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:35 pm

If Joe is from NYC, maybe he is from Manhattan. My friend from Manhattan would make a comment like that about Staten Island.

Return to “ABA”