'11-'12 Power Rankings and Comedy Hour

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:33 am

Meanwhile, the ABA's team in Phoenix is crowing about having swept a two-game set from the defending ABA champion LA Slam.

Problem is, I don't believe the LA Slam actually won the ABA championship last year. I know record-keeping is sketchy...but I don't believe it's actually the truth, is it?

Would it surprise anybody? You get into this league, the lying gets all over you.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:24 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Meanwhile, the ABA's team in Phoenix is crowing about having swept a two-game set from the defending ABA champion LA Slam.

Problem is, I don't believe the LA Slam actually won the ABA championship last year. I know record-keeping is sketchy...but I don't believe it's actually the truth, is it?

Would it surprise anybody? You get into this league, the lying gets all over you.[/quote]
According to Wikipedia, the Mavericks (who left the circuit) are the defending ABA champion, having defeated the Gulf Coast Flash.

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:03 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Meanwhile, the ABA's team in Phoenix is crowing about having swept a two-game set from the defending ABA champion LA Slam.

Would it surprise anybody? You get into this league, the lying gets all over you.[/quote]

Their Facebook page says:

...awesome sweep over the defending ABA Champion L.A. Slam this weekend

Their website got it right, though:

The Arizona Scorpions ran their record to 13-2 after a weekend sweep over the previous #1 ranked L.A. Slam. A pack house was treated to two great basketball games this weekend, including an overtime thiller. The Scorpions are poised to move into one of the top spots in this coming weeks power rankings. Thanks for all the fans that came out to support the team. FEEL THE STING!

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:49 pm

http://abalive.com/aba-featured-news/ab ... -rankings/
ABA POWER RANKINGS – THROUGH SUNDAY, Jan 15, 2012

COLORADO KINGS HOLD #1 POSTITION IN ABA POWER RANKINGS

Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) http://www.abalive.com today releases its Power Rankings through Sunday, January 15th and once again, the #1 position was held by the undefeated Colorado Kings. Based on two strong wins over the highly-touted Los Angeles SLAM, the Arizona Scorpions moved into the number 2 position. “There are about 30 teams that could well be in the top 24,” stated ABA CEO Joe Newman. There are upsets with lower ranking teams beating ranked teams almost every week; the ABA playoffs will be very competitive for sure.”

1. Colorado Kings
2. Arizona Scorpions
3. South Carolina Warriors
4. San Diego Sol
5. Jacksonville Giants
6. Chicago Steam
7. Bay Area Matrix
8. Texas FUEL
9. Athens Razors
10. Lynchburg Legends
11. Atlanta Experience
12. Seattle Mountaineers
13. Carolina Cheetahs
14. Memphis Bluff City Reign
15. Gulf Coast Flash
15. San Francisco Rumble
17. Jersey Express
18. Little Rock Lightning
19. Conway Cyclones
20. Ricmond Elite
21. Carolina Cougars
22. Lima Explosion
23. Connecticut Topballerz
24. North Dallas Vandals
For more information, visit http://www.abalive.com.
Not sure what a "POSTITION" is, but the Kings got it....
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:50 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]According to Wikipedia, the Mavericks (who left the circuit) are the defending ABA champion, having defeated the Gulf Coast Flash.[/quote]

LM - I'm pretty sure Sam had his sarcasm filter on for his post.... :infun:
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Are the Jersey Express the longest serving outfit in this league?

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:12 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]Are the Jersey Express the longest serving outfit in this league?[/quote]

Top Five:

The Fresno Heatwave lost to the Long Beach Jam 125-109 at home on 12/01/03.

Jersey's first game was as the Newark Express on 11/12/05 at Rochester. They lost 99-103.

The Las Vegas Aces played their first in Jacksonville as the Orlando Aces on 11/10/06. They lost 121-124 to the Jam. (I believe they've folded after one game this year.)

The San Francisco Rumble's first was a 108-106 win against the Buzz at home on 11/09/07.

And the West Texas Whirlwinds lost 91-119 to the Houston Takers on 11/04/07 in Houston.

Also, the Gwizzlies first played on 11/16/07, a 96-117 loss against Houston, but they were out of the league for a few seasons.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:50 pm

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]LM - I'm pretty sure Sam had his sarcasm filter on for his post.... :infun: [/quote]

No, I honestly wasn't 100% sure. I couldn't have told you who won it, but I was fairly sure it wasn't the LA Slam.

Plus, I have learned to take anything an ABA team says with a huge grain of salt.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:10 pm

ABA POWER RANKINGS – THROUGH SUNDAY, Jan 22, 2012

COLORADO KINGS MAINTAIN #1 POSITION IN ABA POWER RANKINGS

Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) http://www.abalive.com today released its Power Rankings for the week ending Sunday, January 22nd and once again, the Colorado Kings held onto the number one position with two more wins and keeping their season undefeated. “There was a very close battle for the second spot,” stated Joe Newman, ABA CEO. “The Arizona Scorpions held onto the second position over the undefeated South Carolina Warriors by the closest of margins and the San Diego Sol was not far behind. We have some very strong teams in the ABA this season and the playoffs should be very competitive.”

1. Colorado Kings
2. Arizona Scorpions
4. San Diego Sol
5. Chicago Steam
6. Bay Area Matrix
7. Texas FUEL
8. Jacksonville Giants
9. Athens Razors
10. Lynchburg Legends
11. Los Angeles SLAM
12. Atlanta Experience
13. Carolina Cheetahs
14. Seattle Mountaineers
15. Memphis Bluff City Reign
16. Little Rock Lightning
17. San Francisco Rumble
18. Gulf Coast Flash
19. Conway Cyclones
20. Jersey Express
21. Connecticut Topballerz
22. Richmond Elite
23. Carolina Cougars
24. Lima Explosion

“There are three or four other teams ready to jump into the Top 24,” added Newman. “They are playing tough schedules and winning some good games. Look for more changes.” For more information, visit http://www.abalive.com.
“There was a very close battle for the second spot,” stated Joe Newman, ABA CEO. “The Arizona Scorpions held onto the second position over the undefeated South Carolina Warriors by the closest of margins and the San Diego Sol was not far behind. - smacking around Secretariat here, but exactly HOW close, Joe? What was the point differential? How did you figure it out? Do YOU even have an idea?

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:03 pm

ABA POWER RANKINGS – THROUGH SUNDAY, Jan 29, 2012

COLORADO KINGS MAINTAIN #1 POSITION IN ABA POWER RANKINGS
Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) http://www.abalive.com today released its Power Rankings for the week ending Sunday, January 29th - and once again, the Colorado Kings held onto the top spot followed closely by the Arizona Scorpions, South Carolina Warriors, San Diego Sol and the Chicago Steam. “The playoffs are going to be really exciting,” stated Joe Newman, ABA CEO, “all of these teams are very strong and each feels seriously that they are the best. We shall see. And there are five or six others who feel that they could easily be in the Top 4 if they played one another. We have some great teams in the ABA for sure.”
  1. Colorado Kings
  2. Arizona Scorpions
  4. San Diego Sol
  5. Chicago Steam
  6. Texas FUEL
  7. Jacksonville Giants
  8. Athens Razors
  9. San Francisco RUMBLE
  10. Bay Area Matrix
  11. Carolina Cheetahs
  12. Little Rock Lightning
  13. Richmond Rockets
  14. Richmond Elite
  15. Lynchburg Legends
  16. Memphis Bluff City Reign
  17. Connecticut Top Ballerz
  18. Lima Explosion
  19. Los Angeles SLAM
  20. Conway Cyclones
  21. Jersey Express
  22. Seattle Mountaineers
  23. Atlanta Experience
  24. Carolina Cougars
“Ready to move into the Top 24,” added Newman, “are the Northeast Arkansas SWAG, the San Diego SURF and the East Bay Pit Bulls – and a Top 24 ranking is an automatic place in the ABA Playoffs.”

Return to “ABA”