Frosties in NBL?

The National Basketball League of Canada
(NBL Canada) forum
wellington
Site Admin

Frosties in NBL?

Post by wellington » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:49 am

Maybe a long shot at this point, but any chance we could see the Vermont Frost Heaves return from the dead and play in the NBL?

I realize the NBL is a Canadian league, but there are American teams in the Ontario Hockey League. The Frost Heaves had decent support in Vermont, but the business model of the PBL was never going to work for the Frosties.

The Frosties would fit nicely into the geographic footprint of the NBL. Very favorable travel -- midway between the Maritime and Ontrario teams. Although they went under, there is still a lot of value in the Frost Heaves name/brand -- worth reviving.

Any chance of this happening?

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:54 pm

From a fan's perspective, I would love to see it happen. That being said, they don't fit in with the NBLC business model either. It's a big money, (relatively) big travel, big arena league. Teams need 1,500-2,000 fans on average to break even.

The only way I could see the Heaves being remotely viable would be to play in a smaller regional league with lower salaries and limited overhead. But I doubt the fan interest would be there for that level of operation.

LR Lightning
Site Admin

Post by LR Lightning » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:23 pm

If the Frost Heaves came back from the dead,I believe they would be a tough team to beat in the nblc.I looked at the map and I noticed all of the nblc cities are within driving distance from Barre or Burlington. It would be a good move for the league to expand into the usa for exposure purposes.
Charter Bus travel would work and cut down on travel cost.Pluse they would be able to drive home after the game so hotel expenses are cut down.Barre Auditorium seats roughly 1500.Charge $5 admission for under 18 and $8 for adult.Lower ticket prices will keep the fans coming through the doors,plus cutting costs for travel and hotel expenses.It wouldn't be long before a profit was turned.

Evad
Site Admin

Post by Evad » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:34 pm

[quote=""misenern""]From a fan's perspective, I would love to see it happen. That being said, they don't fit in with the NBLC business model either. It's a big money, (relatively) big travel, big arena league. Teams need 1,500-2,000 fans on average to break even.

The only way I could see the Heaves being remotely viable would be to play in a smaller regional league with lower salaries and limited overhead. But I doubt the fan interest would be there for that level of operation.[/quote]

And the ACPBL would work for the Heaves.
http://www.acpbl.com/
The Heaves would fit into the ACPBL North division nicely

Stay out of Canada, and work on building a regional league like the TRBL and the FBA

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:51 pm

It would be a step down from the level of play in the PBL & NBL.

Evad
Site Admin

Post by Evad » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:08 pm

[quote=""turbocamyes""]It would be a step down from the level of play in the PBL & NBL.[/quote]

it would be better than no play at all... :) I think fans would still come out and support the Heaves in the ACPBL.

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:25 pm

While there is a hardcore group of fans that would welcome the Heaves back on any given day, I have to be a pessimist and say that it would not be successful right now. Between the sputtering economy and the ongoing after math of Hurricane Irene (businesses still not open, state office complex in Waterbury closed, folks still hot back in their homes), it would be a very tough sell to folks in central Vermont.

If they ever return, it would have to be in Barre only. Parking in Burlington is scarce, and during the holiday season, even worse.

As far as a league? I would have to say the NBL Canada, mainly because we already have a rivalry with the three founding teams. There were never any bigger crowds in Barre, or in Burlington than when the Mill Rats came to town. Same can also be said when the Heaves went to Manchester. But part of me agrees with misenern that we would need a bigger place to play, and Vermont is not overflowing with them.

Vermont has already had one team that folded only a few games into it’s first season (Vermont Wild of the FHL in Morrisville) I want the Heaves to come back, but I do not want it to be a half baked attempt. At this point in time, that’s what it would be, Vermont and Heaves fans deserve better than that.
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:01 am

I doubt it would happen unless the NBL II was nearly financially ruined. The reason for this is that the league wanted to become the Canadian equivalent of the European national league. I don't think Andre Livingston would expand into the US until he was desperate for finances. His stated goal is to make it akin to the CFL a truly Canadian league. So while it would make sense, I doubt it would happen.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:31 am

[quote=""Evad""][/B]

And the ACPBL would work for the Heaves.
http://www.acpbl.com/
The Heaves would fit into the ACPBL North division nicely

Stay out of Canada, and work on building a regional league like the TRBL and the FBA[/quote]

Not a bad idea. They have the potential tobe a flagship franchise in a league like the ACPBL.

LR Lightning
Site Admin

Post by LR Lightning » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:32 am

The acpbl would be a bad idea. The acpbl talent level would be a step down.If they come back,they should restart as an independent franchise .Schedule two home and home exhibition games against nblc teams and only travel to teams that are loaded with good players from other minor leagues.Make money at the gate and make sure the public interest is there first before paying a franchise fee to enter another league.Then,go north.

I believe it was announced last week it would cost $25,000usd for the 2012-2013 franchising fees in the nblc.

Return to “NBL Canada”