Tampa Bay Rain?

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
ABA_TampaBay
Site Admin

Tampa Bay Rain?

Post by ABA_TampaBay » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:03 am

Little blurb in the St. Pete Times that the ABA seems to have found another sucker, er, owner for Tampa Bay. http://abalive.com/conferences/expansion/tampa-fl/ Funny thing, it appears they will have their official rollout at the very legit St. Pete Times Forum later this month.

I just hope Newman doesn't "rain" on his parade.
----------------------------------
TBSN Sports Media
http://www.tbsn1.com/
-----------------------------------

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:43 am

Yet another dream owner

Gmail.com email address........check
No website...............check
Black and white logo............check
No venue..............check

Looks like the Rain aren't exactly going to Reign
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:17 am

The Rain in Tampa Bay falls mainly on its face.

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:35 am

[quote=""Paul S""]Yet another dream owner

Gmail.com email address........check
No website...............check
Black and white logo............check
No venue..............check

Looks like the Rain aren't exactly going to Reign[/quote]

Actually, they do have a website, even though the ABA hasn't updated the info

http://tampabayrain.com/index.html

They have a Facebook page too, with 16 fans.
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

ABA_TampaBay
Site Admin

Post by ABA_TampaBay » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:20 pm

I have to say I am a little impressed. I suspect the black and white logo dabbed with silver/gray, is probably a marketing idea (black still sells).

I am also impressed they already have a deal place where to play although a (semi) minor league team playing at the fairgrounds will be a tough sell unless all their games will be played on Saturday and Sunday. Tampa traffic in that area is a bear and that is understating it.

They seem to have their ducks in a row as they launched but I fail to understand their opening statement on their home page:
THE TAMPA BAY RAIN conceived under the laws of the State of Florida....
Conceived under the laws of the State of Florida? It comes off as if the state helped them bring a team to Tampa Bay.

Even if they have the money to actually get this off the ground and get commitments from other "division" teams to come and play, this startup is in deep trouble from the start simply because of the economy in this region. When the Buccaneers cannot sell out in a traditionally football rich state/area, the Rays like a blip on the sports map and the Lightning fighting for every ticket to be sold, they don't have a hill to climb, it is more like Mt. Everest.

It comes down to one thing and one thing only: $$$ for advertising to actually let people know this team exists. Just how much can they spend to draw 400-500 people on any given night because this area, even in the best of economic times, will never draw more than that for any minor league sport.
TBSN Sports Media

ABA_TampaBay
Site Admin

The "gala" announcement

Post by ABA_TampaBay » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:29 pm

TBSN Sports Media

Cincy_Monarchs_Fan
Site Admin

It's Rain(ing) suckers in Tampa

Post by Cincy_Monarchs_Fan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:06 am

I feel bad for these players who have dreams of playing in a real professional league and not just a rec league. These poor suckers shelled out between $125-$200 of their own money for this pay-to-tryout camp. The owners of the Rain may not know this league is a scam yet, but I'm sure none of these players know that yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:38 am

[quote=""Cincy_Monarchs_Fan""]I feel bad for these players who have dreams of playing in a real professional league and not just a rec league. These poor suckers shelled out between $125-$200 of their own money for this pay-to-tryout camp. The owners of the Rain may not know this league is a scam yet, but I'm sure none of these players know that yet.[/quote]

At least they could have had Led Zeppelin's "Fool In The Rain" playing for background music. :rolleyes:

Add up those guys, plus the 16 Facebook fans, and you have your core for attendance at the Finals Extravaganza.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Interesting that your introductory video about the ABA has no video more recent than 1977...

What exactly HAS happened in the ABA since then?

runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:00 am

Watch the video in the post above from 16:00 to 19:00 and see if you can figure out what he is talking about concerning buying season tickets from fans. Never seen that done before in pro basketball.

Return to “ABA”