Tulsa Headed for San Antonio

The Arena Football League (AFL) forum
VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Tulsa Headed for San Antonio

Post by VinnyTheViper » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:20 pm

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article. ... =298&artic...

Source: AFL Talons headed to San Antonio

Tulsa World
Mike Brown

The Tulsa Talons will be sold and relocated to become the new San Antonio franchise in the Arena Football League, a source close to the situation confirmed Tuesday.

Talons managing partner Paul Ross could not be reached for comment. But a source told the Tulsa World “it would not be inaccurate to report that the Tulsa franchise will be relocated to San Antonio.”

“If it happened, it would be news to me,” Talons general manager Corey MacIntyre said. But he confirmed that the team has done nothing in the way of preseason ticket sales and season renewals for 2012.

Rumors have persisted for months that the Talons would move to San Antonio. Those rumors intensified last month when the San Antonio Express-News reported that the Texas city had been approved for an AFL franchise.

Ross has twice denied that the team had been sold, and told the Tulsa World last week that the franchise received an extension until Oct. 7 for notifying the AFL of its intentions for the 2012 season.

A Tulsa team was not included in a provisional 2012 AFL schedule released recently to owners and league management. But a San Antonio team was. The new franchise would kick off the 2012 season by hosting the Pittsburgh Power.

The league typically works up a first-draft schedule for owner approval. A final schedule will be announced later in the fall.

An AFL spokesman said Tuesday no such provisional schedule existed, but the Tulsa World has verified the authenticity of the provisional schedule.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:48 am

This one I find most interesting.
Tulsa was the glue that held everything together when the af2 took over the AFL (or as Donny said in "The Big Labowski," "that rug tied the whole room together.")

With Tulsa gone, that leaves Iowa and Spokane as the last of the af2 teams left in the new league. I wonder which league will try to swoop in and take the market on such short notice. And considering Tulsa was one of the steadier af2 draws, will fans take to whatever league comes in?

SA Wrangler fan
Site Admin

Post by SA Wrangler fan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:57 pm

Woot Woot!!!! :D :D

Finally we get an AFL team back. Lets see if the people here can actually support a team not named the Spurs.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:17 am

The Alamo Dome is a poor venue, it was built for the 100 yd game and the seating is far away. They tried it with hockey and basketball without success. I've attended many other events in the venue and all were set up with the same configuration as they had with the NHL and NBA. There's no way to get an "ARENA" feel and experience the game close up like it should be seen. A name change would have fit better also.

SA Wrangler fan
Site Admin

Post by SA Wrangler fan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Looks like Aaron Garcia will be the starting QB. We also got a hometown boy and star WR Robert Quiroga from the Predators. Diablo and I saw him make some great plays while he was playing with the Turfcats of the SIFL.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:31 pm

The last time I saw Robert was when I picked him up at the Lake Charles airport for the inaugural SIFL Championship game vs the Swashbucklers. He rode the team bus back to Austin with us and then I took him to the Austin airport to catch a flight back to San Antonio. It'll be great for him to be able to play at home, his family traveled to all the Austin games and usually stopped by the tailgate, but they were unable to attend his AFL games because of the distance.

NatePreds05
Site Admin

Post by NatePreds05 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:59 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]The last time I saw Robert was when I picked him up at the Lake Charles airport for the inaugural SIFL Championship game vs the Swashbucklers. He rode the team bus back to Austin with us and then I took him to the Austin airport to catch a flight back to San Antonio. It'll be great for him to be able to play at home, his family traveled to all the Austin games and usually stopped by the tailgate, but they were unable to attend his AFL games because of the distance.[/quote]

As I am now a San Antonio resident I am looking forward to watching the San Antonio Talons. The future looks bright with the first signings of Garcia and Quiroga.

CD are you going to come down to the games?

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:22 pm

Looking forward to the schedule release.

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:39 pm

Glad to see things worked out well for Robert.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:56 am

Out with the old..........

In with the new.....
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Founded 1908.
The First and Always The Finest

Return to “AFL”