team relocate

The North American Hockey League (NAHL) forum
donaldbigdog
Site Admin

team relocate

Post by donaldbigdog » Wed May 24, 2006 12:52 pm

Did any one hear of a Nahl team relocating to Michigan I heard there was one possibly moving to Taylor Michigan

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:49 pm

From what I heard, it is a done deal that the Helena Bighorns will relocate to Taylor. I haven't heard where they will play, but I can only assume it is at the Taylor Sportsplex.

http://www.taylorsportsplex.com/pageHome/home.htm
Former Motor City Mechanics & Macomb County Mustangs season ticket holder.

"I like you. When the world is mine your death shall be quick and painless."
- Stewie Griffin

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri May 26, 2006 7:16 pm

What I REALLY want to know:

Did Helena and Bozeman have to close up because of the situation in Billings?

Did the Helena or Bozeman situations prompt the issues in Billings?

Did all three know they were done for at about the same time?

Did the Alaska teams really bankrupt them, or is this a function of local events?

The way this all went down in Montana is brutal. I can't imagine NorPac (Junior B) filling the hole very well. Without Bozeman, it's also kind of hard for me to envision the supposed rebirth of the AWHL, also, since that proposal begs for somewhat modern- or at least sizeable- facilities.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri May 26, 2006 7:24 pm

Whoops... just noticed that relocation is off the table. The NAHL team is going inactive, but the Bighorns name will be used for the NorPac team.

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2006/0 ... 506_01.prt

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:55 pm

Pounder wrote:Whoops... just noticed that relocation is off the table. The NAHL team is going inactive, but the Bighorns name will be used for the NorPac team.

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2006/0 ... 506_01.prt
Well, that kinda sucks. I guess the league approving the move doesn't mean squat. I was looking forward to another alternative to my dearly departed Mechanics. Is there any possibility of other teams making to move to SE Michigan?
“Its not so much a downward shift, but a lateral shift,” Butters said about the move from Junior A to Junior B status.
Now, I'll admit I'm not as up on Junior hockey as I would like to be but I thought there was a reason why the NAHL was Jr. A and the NorPac was Jr. B and that reason wasn't because they were lateral to each other.
Former Motor City Mechanics & Macomb County Mustangs season ticket holder.

"I like you. When the world is mine your death shall be quick and painless."
- Stewie Griffin

Miss Conduct
Site Admin

Post by Miss Conduct » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:58 am

Pounder wrote:What I REALLY want to know:

Did Helena and Bozeman have to close up because of the situation in Billings?

Did the Helena or Bozeman situations prompt the issues in Billings?
The Ice Garden in Bozeman was sold... it's gonna be a beer warehouse! was a money pit for the owners. After Helena and Billings started down, the owners pushed for the sale. Bozeman has a Jr B team also "Blackhawks" inthe NorPac. Heard that they may play as the IceDogs next year possibly at the university arena there.

Helena has dropped down to the NorPac and Billingd will probably also but who nose where thay will play which was the problem that started it all

now we wait for the new divisions to be announced in the NAHL and for next year to see if there is a ressurection of any past leagues or formation of new ones.
Last edited by Miss Conduct on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:20 pm

I understand the Billings NorPac team will be in a rink that seats about 900 on the outskirts of town.

Found out that Bozeman will play... at a currently open-air rink at the county fairgrounds. Oh, sheesh!
Last edited by Pounder on Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:13 pm

BTW... I had mentioned the Bozeman arena situation.

Open air... bit of a misnomer. Thing is, so would "enclosed."

http://www.gallatin.mt.gov/Public_Docum ... argeHaynes

If you know about Montana winters, you can imagine the thrill of junior B in Bozeman this year.

Return to “NAHL”